Rotation Attendance On Match Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDorothy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone taking the day off of rotation for match day? I'm thinking if I do match I'll be too excited to focus on patient care and if I don't match I'll need to put all my energy into phase II match. Thoughts or previous experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone taking the day off of rotation for match day? I'm thinking if I do match I'll be too excited to focus on patient care and if I don't match I'll need to put all my energy into phase II match. Thoughts or previous experience with this?
To me, patients come first. If you're on a rotation where you're having an impact on patient care or where your absence may negatively impact your learning experiences then it seems almost counterproductive to skip rotation to focus on residencies.

To me, patients come first. If you're on a rotation where you're having an impact on patient care or where your absence may negatively impact your learning experiences then it seems almost counterproductive to skip rotation to focus on residencies.

Lol... Good answer for residency interviews.

For the OP I'm sure you have a preceptor that will take care of things. While I didn't take match day off, I know of classmates that did. Go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol... Good answer for residency interviews.

For the OP I'm sure you have a preceptor that will take care of things. While I didn't take match day off, I know of classmates that did. Go for it.

Thanks. For me it's taking more of a mental health day. A major life event could be happening that day which could definitely distract one from caring for patients with full attention.

the type of people to need a day off on match day remind me of the same people that skipped class the day after hillary clinton lost the election so they could spend the day crying and getting each other chocolate milk.

Reactions: 1 users
the type of people to need a day off on match day remind me of the same people that skipped class the day after hillary clinton lost the election so they could spend the day crying and getting each other chocolate milk.
It's not really like that at all. I'm not going to be staying home, but I understand the desire to stay home. Getting into a residency program is about you. I understand not wanting to find out in a public setting where you are primarily responsible for making other people comfortable. I don't want to have an upbeat conversation about me not getting in to protect other people's feelings. What you are describing is people staying home to support each other. Staying home from your APPE is self centered in an excusable and understandable way, staying home for friends is selfless and admirable.

I would not want to be under the care of someone too mentally and emotionally unstable to work just because of the result of a residency match.

No one close to you died. You didn't spawn a broodling. What the heck?

Reactions: 3 users
Its funny how those who haven't even had prior experience on match day feel like theyre in the position to cast judgement on the idea of taking an off day.

I didn't take off last year--I matched, not my first choice, but regardless I was extremely excited (don't rank anyone you wouldn't be excited or happy about going to)..but matching with this program brought the reality that I'd be moving 13 hrs away. It was a lot to take in and I definitely wasnt focused, my phone was blowing up, and I honestly just wanted to start house hunting and have a beer

That being said, I'll be taking off this year, 1 other co-resident is doing the same, and another isn't.

If you want to take off, do it! Taking off doesn't mean you want to stay at home, drink chocolate milk and cry, heck, it's St. Patty's day and a Friday--time to drink Green beer and celebrate your future!!

Reactions: 1 users
Went through two match days for PGY1 and PGY2. Worked both days. Go to rotation/work. Seriously, when you have a real job there are limits on how often you can take off.

Life goes on either way...

I actually read an article on residency tips and the author advised taking the day off if you can because if you don't match you want to immediately be able to make calls and start contacting programs for the scramble. Plus if you do match, it'll be nice to take it easy for the day. Treat yo self.

I actually read an article on residency tips and the author advised taking the day off if you can because if you don't match you want to immediately be able to make calls and start contacting programs for the scramble. Plus if you do match, it'll be nice to take it easy for the day. Treat yo self.

With the second match this advice is prob less relevant but I think taking a day off is no big deal in the long run.

With the second match this advice is prob less relevant but I think taking a day off is no big deal in the long run.

You don't get "days off" on a whim though while you are on rotations. Imagine if you were working and you just decide to "take a day off" when you don't have vacation days available. I don't think your boss would like that too much.

I went to rotation on match day and it was incredibly awkward when I matched and the two students on rotation with me didn't. I wish I had taken off just to avoid sitting in that topic discussion for 2 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't get "days off" on a whim though while you are on rotations. Imagine if you were working and you just decide to "take a day off" when you don't have vacation days available. I don't think your boss would like that too much.

It depends on the rotation. There are rotations where I worked 50+ hours a week. Because I worked a lot more hours than I was scheduled and I had no pressing things to take care of during the time I was requesting off, I felt comfortable asking for a couple hours off during one rotation to get my car brakes repaired (it was a rural community, so everything closed at about 6pm). I don't want to mess with things, but I bet my current site would actually be excited if I offered to take Friday off and come in over the weekend. I imagine the people taking time off are not stepping away from crucial responsibilities. We all prioritize patient care.

Can imagine why somebody would or wouldn't take the day off.

I plan to be on rotation; on a primary care rotation and that Friday will be a clinic day with not much MTM sessions going on. I really think if you are humble and calm about the whole situation (whether you match or not) and how you take and react to that really says a lot about your character.

Best of luck to all!

Some of the more passionate commenters will be relieved to know I decided not to request the day off of rotation. Thank goodness my character will remain intact. Best of luck to everyone!

I didn't mean it in a negative way. Attending on a day like that says nothing about our character.

I simply meant to say regardless of what ends up happening, matching or not, you can say a lot about your character depending on how you take and deal with that. Which would or wouldn't impact how you work on that day and whether or not you should take the day off because of that.

I do not let my students have the day off - seriously - you have to be adults - if you can't work the day of the match, I don't want you working for me - someone who asks for the day off - immediately gets blacklisted from myself and any of my friends job locations.

I do not let my students have the day off - seriously - you have to be adults - if you can't work the day of the match, I don't want you working for me - someone who asks for the day off - immediately gets blacklisted from myself and any of my friends job locations.
To be fair to everyone, 'adults' (practicing pharmacists?) usually get days off. I understand your point though. It is different for students. Since most of us work weekends, it is not unusual for students to go weeks or months without a day off. We are completely capable of working without mental health days, vacation days, weekends ect. Although we don't have the same luxury of days off, we also haven't experienced the strain of long-term practice that might cause pharmacists to need that down time. :)

This is just an aside, but I know someone who worked a full-time job while in school and on rotation!

Last edited:

This is a perfect example of the type of preceptor I do not want to be. Students have worked hard for 3.5 years towards the goal of obtaining a residency. If they want the day off to celebrate or figure things out, it shouldn't be held against them. Overall, if someone unfortunately does not match, are they really going to be able to provide great patient care the day of match?

Reactions: 2 users
This days off rotation thing still blows my mind. I didn't take days off aside from illness and that was like once. You guys don't work that hard. I know you think that you do, but then you get out to residency or your career and you're like "oh". You'll see in a few months.

This days off rotation thing still blows my mind. I didn't take days off aside from illness and that was like once. You guys don't work that hard. I know you think that you do, but then you get out to residency or your career and you're like "oh". You'll see in a few months.
So how was it... walking up hill in the snow to school both ways?

I absolutely agree that there are pharmacists that basically never stop working. I had one site where I would often stay late under the supervision of nonpharmacist preceptors. There were a few times that I emailed my primary preceptor about nonurgent issues around 3 hours after they had gone home for the day. They got back to me the evening I wrote them every time (to the point where I wouldn't email until the next day because I didn't want to bother them). I have also had sites where the pharmacists work 45 hours weekly with lunch breaks and discussed how they never take work home. I think some students' needs and priorities may vary the same way that I have seen the needs and priorities of pharmacists vary. My current preceptor has approached me several times this week to ask if I would like the day off. Although I declined, I don't think there would have been something wrong with me accepting the offer if it was something that I really wanted.

Sorry to get kind of rambly and boring, but I want to stand up for the people who were contemplating this. Wanting a break does not make you a terrible person. As much as I appreciate people giving timely advice, if you asked for a day off I'm sure that you felt out the situation and decided the setting was appropriate for that request. Don't let a bunch of last minute posts make you second guess yourself.

Addendum: Last minute advice isn't actionable anyway :)

Last edited:

a bit dramatic.

Definitely did not expect such emotionally charged responses when I posted this question. Not sure which has stiffer competition at this point, the title of resident or resident troll.

For my students I don't think its about being able to handle the stress of not matching, or matching, or being over worked on match day. If you match somewhere you better be able to handle stress well. I think most students who ask for the day off want to celebrate an accomplishment and I'm happy for them. They should go celebrate. I would never hold it against them. One day off of a 6 week rotation isn't going to mean anything in the future. I didn't take match day off and I can't tell you anything about that day of rotation that had any impact on my practice but I bet I would remember celebrating with my friends who struggled through the match with me.

Edit: My preceptor did send me home around noon and told me to go have some beers so it was a win win situation I guess.

This is a perfect example of the type of preceptor I do not want to be. Students have worked hard for 3.5 years towards the goal of obtaining a residency. If they want the day off to celebrate or figure things out, it shouldn't be held against them. Overall, if someone unfortunately does not match, are they really going to be able to provide great patient care the day of match?
don't judge - I missed one day of work in 15 years due to illness - people need to be professional - I am not old - but I feel like the grumpy old man around students now days - I have never seen a group of people who feel so entitled - if you can't handle the stress of match day - how are you going to handle code situations, how are you going to react when you see a child dying in front of your eyes and you have to determine drug therapy, prepare meds??

Any day missed is required to be made up unless the day off is allowed by your school. The school I take students from allows 2 days for interviews per year and 1 day for their job fair. Anything else, I follow what the school manual tells me to do. In the real world, you may have a boss that will write you up or fire you depending upon your attendance. I tell the students this expectation upfront and it has never been an issue.

My preceptor bought me lunch, bought a cookie cake for the entire pharmacy, and brought me Starbucks to celebrate....happy rotation day for a happy match experience!

My preceptor bought me lunch, bought a cookie cake for the entire pharmacy, and brought me Starbucks to celebrate....happy rotation day for a happy match experience!
I have no issue sending the person home as a "congrats" - or more likely, sending them to the bar :) But the expectation is they are there

don't judge - I missed one day of work in 15 years due to illness - people need to be professional - I am not old - but I feel like the grumpy old man around students now days - I have never seen a group of people who feel so entitled - if you can't handle the stress of match day - how are you going to handle code situations, how are you going to react when you see a child dying in front of your eyes and you have to determine drug therapy, prepare meds??

I do not have a problem judging you when it is the exact thing you are doing to your students for asking off match day. You even take it to the level of ostracizing them from a future at the facility in which you work. Overall, I will never act in that petty manner.

I do not have a problem judging you when it is the exact thing you are doing to your students for asking off match day. You even take it to the level of ostracizing them from a future at the facility in which you work. Overall, I will never act in that petty manner.
any career can be a small world - one thing you will learn in life is how small things that you see as not a big deal when you are young like you (or as a student) can affect your career going forward -life isn't always about well you did on a test, or how you performed in a lab, networking can help or hinder you. If I were you I would take advice from someone who actually hires people - you may think your right, but when you searching for a job - you might want to look back on the advice you were given.