ROSS UNIVERSITY failing a class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sand86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi , need some advice pleasemail. I didnt pass the basic science class in the 4th semester , can I repeat the class the next semester? My counselor told me I have to take a whole semester off and then repeat the term, but I feel like I would do worse waiting 4 months just to repeat the semester . If anyone has been in this situation, do you know of who I can speak to to see if I can restart right away ? Can I speak with the dean of student affairs ? The Ross website says it's bad if students take voluntary breaks because this interrupts the continuous learning process , but this should obviously apply to any situation. taking a semester off is too long, any help is appreciated, thanks .

Members don't see this ad.

Hi , need some advice pleasemail. I didnt pass the basic science class in the 4th semester , can I repeat the class the next semester? My counselor told me I have to take a whole semester off and then repeat the term, but I feel like I would do worse waiting 4 months just to repeat the semester . If anyone has been in this situation, do you know of who I can speak to to see if I can restart right away ? Can I speak with the dean of student affairs ? The Ross website says it's bad if students take voluntary breaks because this interrupts the continuous learning process , but this should obviously apply to any situation. taking a semester off is too long, any help is appreciated, thanks .

Why would you ask internet strangers instead of just getting in touch with the dean's office? Any answer you find here should be corroborated by the dean, so you might as well just go straight to the source for your answer.

Does sound like a stupid policy, making you wait out a whole term for no real reason.

Reactions: 1 user
I was trying to see if any previous Ross student had been in this situation, and wanted to see if there's a way around it since what the advisor says makes no sense to me either.

Members don't see this ad :)

The only reason Ross requires you to take a semester off before attempting to repeat the semester is if this is you second time failing a semester. Which means you already know this information. It's also in the student handbook.

This is my first time failing, I passed the first three semesters on first attempt. Ill look into the handbook again , but this is what my counselor told me.

This is my first time failing, I passed the first three semesters on the first-attempt. I'll look into the handbook again , but this is what my counselor told me.

Well, I'm sorry for your situation, but this is just not true at all... I am a Ross student currently and the only way you can take a "4-month break," is when you have to appeal due to a second failure. I know several students who appealed successfully, but I have no idea what argument they made (must've been good). I do know however, the majority do NOT get their appeals after failing for the second time. Either way, good luck.

Well, I'm sorry for your situation, but this is just not true at all... I am a Ross student currently and the only way you can take a "4-month break," is when you have to appeal due to a second failure. I know several students who appealed successfully, but I have no idea what argument they made (must've been good). I do know however, the majority do NOT get their appeals after failing for the second time. Either way, good luck.

Hey! How do you like Ross (since youre a current student)? Im considering where to apply now that Im almost done with my second masters. Lets here what a current student has to say :)

Did you fail a class or the entire semester? Either way, the policy is stated in the student handbook:

Should a student fail one course in a semester, the student must repeat the entire semester (regardless of performance in other blocks or courses) and will be enrolled in the Essentials of Lifelong Learning Skills (ELLS)
course.

(page 26)

http://medhandbook.rossu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/RUSM-Student-Handbook-May-2016.pdf

The only thing referred in the handbook using "Basic Science" terminology is the NBME Comprehensive Basic Science exam. Did you fail that?

(Your post is a bit confusing because you don't seem to be using precise language.)

-Skip

Hey, I was wondering about NBME exam appeal? I wrote the comp but had some circumstance (essentially was stupid and did not put in the required work to pass) and didnt pass. I was wondering what my chances of a successful appeal is and how long would it take before I got an answer? Also, if appeal is rejected is switching to a school like UMHS or Windsor a viable option?
Thanks,