Rosalind Franklin Diversity Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbb21

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I prepare to submit my application on Aug 2, I noticed that Rosalind Franklin asks for an "optional diversity statement". I have a few questions about this.

1. My friend, who applied last year, claimed the diversity statement wasn't required when the new cycle opened. He thought it might just be for late appliers. Does anyone know if this is true?

2. How optional is the diversity statement? I've been rolling my eyes at the thought of writing it. I've got a 3.7 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, and a 502 MCAT. Do you think I'd get accepted anyway if I skipped it?

Rosalind Franklin is not one of my top picks for podiatry school, but I'd like to have it as a backup. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

As I prepare to submit my application on Aug 2, I noticed that Rosalind Franklin asks for an "optional diversity statement". I have a few questions about this.

1. My friend, who applied last year, claimed the diversity statement wasn't required when the new cycle opened. He thought it might just be for late appliers. Does anyone know if this is true?

2. How optional is the diversity statement? I've been rolling my eyes at the thought of writing it. I've got a 3.7 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, and a 502 MCAT. Do you think I'd get accepted anyway if I skipped it?

Rosalind Franklin is not one of my top picks for podiatry school, but I'd like to have it as a backup. Thanks for the help.
This thread is oozing with confidence

Reactions: 1 user

I think it was optional for this years cycle, but I wrote one anyway.

With your stats, you would be accepted, regardless of the essay or not. However, there is no harm writing one for additional scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)

I did not write one and got accepted with a scholarship. They did asked me about it in my interview though.

Thanks. I will probably write one in the next couple days, but it's nice to know that if it came down to it I could likely get by without one.

Last edited:
What is a diversity statement? I can take a guess but do they say specifically what they want?

"We also strongly encourage you to submit an optional diversity statement that specifically addresses how, if admitted to our program, your admission would contribute to the diversity of the Rosalind Franklin University Community. This optional statement may be considered for admission and/or scholarship purposes. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science creates a pathway of excellence in education, service, scholarship and healthcare by embracing a community of people with a breadth of characteristics, experiences and accomplishments. Our diversity embodies the understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizes our individual differences. These differences include but are not limited to internal dimensions such as personality, race, age, gender, ethnicity, ability, sexuality, learning and thinking style; external dimensions such as geographical location, marital status, income level, educational background, work experience, religious and political beliefs; and organizational dimensions such as professional affiliation, organizational status and level of influence. Our university is committed to inclusion and thereby helping to create a well-trained, diverse health professions workforce committed to working with underserved and disadvantaged populations to reduce health disparities. Should you wish to submit this optional statement for consideration, please complete a statement that is no greater than one page in length."