Roosevelt VS Midwestern Pharmacy Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roosevelt VS Midwestern Pharmacy program

• Roosevelt College of Pharmacy

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Midwestern College of Pharmacy

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

PharmD-T

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to Midwestern and Roosevelt University College of Pharmacy,I'm having hard time deciding which is school to go with, I need to know which is a better school beside money and number of years? Which school has better prepareation for the NAPLEX? Rotations? Clinical? Instructors? Mentorships? ...etc

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to Midwestern and Roosevelt University College of Pharmacy,I'm having hard time deciding which is school to go with, I need to know which is a better school beside money and number of years? Which school has better prepareation for the NAPLEX? Rotations? Clinical? Instructors? Mentorships? ...etc

Thank you!!!
I am in the same boat. From what I hear, Midwestern has better connections for rotations. They also mentioned that they have better international programs. i.e. PharmD students go to other countries for rotations. That was really appealing to me. At the same time, being able to finish in 3 years is also a major factor for me. I already gave my deposit to Roosevelt, but holing off on Midwestern until I am absolutely sure. Tough choices....

Members don't see this ad :)
An accelerated program was appealing for me as well which is why I chose to go but I also liked the school, safe location and small class size of Roosevelt. I've never checked out Midwestern so I can't really say anything about them but if they do do rotations abroad than wow! I think that's an amazing opportunity. Definitely weigh out all the pros and cons, including financial costs, etc. I wonder if you can email current students and ask what they like and dislike about their program.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you!!!
Midwestern's NAPLEX for the past few years was actually impressively higher than the national average. Roosevelt is relatively new so I think there was only one NAPLEX or so available to look at.

Midwestern's NAPLEX for the past few years was actually impressively higher than the national average. Roosevelt is relatively new so I think there was only one NAPLEX or so available to look at.

IMO, the NAPLEX %rate is not something that an applicant should rely too heavily upon when choosing a pharmacy school. Most, if not all pharmacy schools give you the material/knowledge needed to pass, but IMO it is ultimately up to the student to internalize & apply it. Hence, the reason I think looking at those %'s and "rankings" are useless. Again, I'll copy and paste my response to a similar and again, hate to say it, but stupid question:
I don't mean to seem condescending, but this is a bad question. You are asking people whom do not know you. You need to do more research into these programs, find out what you like/dislike, etc. Then you decide which school would fit you best, based on the aspects of each school and their importance to you. "Keep in mind UIC is a top 10 school", I am not too familiar with pharmacy school rankings nor what it is based on. You go to an accredited pharmacy school "ranked" #10 you will still have the same level of degree of a "ranked" #96 pharmacy school (unless you partake in a dual-degree program). Employers do not really care that much, if at all, whether the pharmacy school you graduated from was in the "Top #10", a PharmD is a PharmD. There's no "Attended #10 ranked pharm school" on your PharmD certificate. Forget these "rankings" and find out for yourself which school is a better fit for you.

IMO, the NAPLEX %rate is not something that an applicant should rely too heavily upon when choosing a pharmacy school. Most, if not all pharmacy schools give you the material/knowledge needed to pass, but IMO it is ultimately up to the student to internalize & apply it. Hence, the reason I think looking at those %'s and "rankings" are useless. Again, I'll copy and paste my response to a similar and again, hate to say it, but stupid question:
I don't mean to seem condescending, but this is a bad question. You are asking people whom do not know you. You need to do more research into these programs, find out what you like/dislike, etc. Then you decide which school would fit you best, based on the aspects of each school and their importance to you. "Keep in mind UIC is a top 10 school", I am not too familiar with pharmacy school rankings nor what it is based on. You go to an accredited pharmacy school "ranked" #10 you will still have the same level of degree of a "ranked" #96 pharmacy school (unless you partake in a dual-degree program). Employers do not really care that much, if at all, whether the pharmacy school you graduated from was in the "Top #10", a PharmD is a PharmD. There's no "Attended #10 ranked pharm school" on your PharmD certificate. Forget these "rankings" and find out for yourself which school is a better fit for you.
I dont think ranking is that important because its due to how much research grant they get, so i've heard (I do believe higher ranked schools have better connections from what I've seen). But if you tell me for example that one school has a passing rate of 95% and another school has 80%, and we're not talking about tuition or anything; you best bet Im going to the school that gave the students the better education to past the exam that determines if I get a license to practice or not. Not to mention that the NAPLEX has gotten harder and the national average has dropped tremendously in 2016

Thank you!!!
I made my decision....MWU it is!

what was the vibe at roosevelt like? architecture, new old rich poor subpar students or high average students, fake ,real?

what was the vibe at roosevelt like? architecture, new old rich poor subpar students or high average students, fake ,real?
To be honest, everyone seemed really down to earth (on the interview day). Its one big two story building.

Reactions: 1 user