Rooming with nonmedical roommate.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got pulled off waitlist to MWU. Now the real fun begins of trying to get everything aligned before starting next month.

I live in the Phoenix area which luckily makes things much easier. I've lived here the past year with a couple buddies. One is returning soon and wanted me to get in to MWU and move to Glendale and room with me. He's been a longtime friend, since highschool, but I obviously want to put my schooling and focus first. His work requires him to leave before 0600 everyday, usually out around 5 or 5:30 and is a fairly disciplined kid although has much time open in the afternoon. He can get on my nerves sometimes, tries to be alpha 24/7, but overall a good kid and respects my wishes most times. He could also be a good break from the grind of medicals school. Is this doable and work for a guy just starting medical school, or should I stick with my own kind?

The only other options I see would be getting a one bedroom and living alone, which could be lonely and expensive, or finding another student going to MWU, hopefully DO so we have similar schedules. Thing is about finding a completely new roommate is I have no background on them and no idea if we would get along or not.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have the privacy and discipline to study, it should be fine.

Got pulled off waitlist to MWU. Now the real fun begins of trying to get everything aligned before starting next month.

I live in the Phoenix area which luckily makes things much easier. I've lived here the past year with a couple buddies. One is returning soon and wanted me to get in to MWU and move to Glendale and room with me. He's been a longtime friend, since highschool, but I obviously want to put my schooling and focus first. His work requires him to leave before 0600 everyday, usually out around 5 or 5:30 and is a fairly disciplined kid although has much time open in the afternoon. He can get on my nerves sometimes, tries to be alpha 24/7, but overall a good kid and respects my wishes most times. He could also be a good break from the grind of medicals school. Is this doable and work for a guy just starting medical school, or should I stick with my own kind?

The only other options I see would be getting a one bedroom and living alone, which could be lonely and expensive, or finding another student going to MWU, hopefully DO so we have similar schedules. Thing is about finding a completely new roommate is I have no background on them and no idea if we would get along or not.

Thoughts?

The fact that you have a rapport with him is worth its weight in gold. I would assume you want as few disturbances/ surprises as possible while enduring the rigors of medical school curriculum.

Everyone gets on everyone's nerves in some capacity at some point and living with someone else will always present challenges; you're living with another sentient being.

If it were me, I'd roommate him up.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the person is respectful of your autonomy and privacy then it should be fine.

My only concern with nonmedical roommates is they usually don't understand how time consuming medical school can be. If I remember correctly MWU has quizzes every week. Phoenix is filled with distractions and you don't want a roommate who has a penchant for finding these distractions.

Cool. I think everyone is leaning my way. At first I thought, "I'm never living with this kid again!!!" But then I started to think about it, and there are more positives to negatives than a brand new roommate. He does respect my autonomy, but I'm sure its difficult for anyone outside medicine to comprehend how much time it is. There are distractions here in Phoenix, but he is not a wild kid, but I'm sure he'll drag me out a night or two a month, but that'll most likely help, not hurt me. Think I'll do it if I find a place soon.

Don't know if it bothers you, but you should also consider how clean he is in terms of shared common space. I have a hard time with a dirty sink and lived with people before that would just leave their stuff in the sink until it got moldy. While cleaning may seem like a small thing, it'll become more noticeable during weeks leading up to an exam where you really don't want to have to deal with these small things.

If this person is relatively clean and quiet, has a way to pay his half of the rent and utilities, preferably has a job and activities to stay busy without your participation, and recognizes you won't be able to party with him most of the time (and as a result your apartment can't be hosting very many parties), then go for it. It's nice to have someone to talk to about things that aren't med school.

Don't know if it bothers you, but you should also consider how clean he is in terms of shared common space. I have a hard time with a dirty sink and lived with people before that would just leave their stuff in the sink until it got moldy. While cleaning may seem like a small thing, it'll become more noticeable during weeks leading up to an exam where you really don't want to have to deal with these small things.

We all had to go through undergrad to get here.... :meh:

If this person is relatively clean and quiet, has a way to pay his half of the rent and utilities, preferably has a job and activities to stay busy without your participation, and recognizes you won't be able to party with him most of the time (and as a result your apartment can't be hosting very many parties), then go for it. It's nice to have someone to talk to about things that aren't med school.

Yeah having someone outside I know he'll want to. Doesn't party too much, but I think I would have to make a no partying at our place rule, especially with the intensive exam schedule of MWU. Thing is I know he'll be bugging me to watch the bachelor or go out for drinks midweek, but I'll need those reminders that life isn't all school. He's understanding if I say no, but eventually will twist my arm and get me to take a well needed break.

Sounds like you'll get along well with him then. I'd say when it comes to the study time, you'll honestly have a fair amount of time to go hang out and relax. I don't know how MWU schedules exams, but at my school we typically have an exam every 3 weeks. As expected, it's usually pretty chill and people will throw bonfires or kickbacks the first week, and everyone usually starts ramping up half way or so through the 2nd week. Pre-exam weeks you'll find almost everyone in hardcore study mode, so I suspect your housemate will probably get accustomed to seeing this trend.

I lived with non-med students my first year and it really helped me relax when not studying. They were my escape when I needed it, yet understood that when my door was shut that only fire would get me out if my room. I am moving in with med students when my lease is up, but that is for location and cost.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm living with three dudes, 2 who are gonna be third years at my school and 1 who isn't a student at all. Idk how its gonna go but I just met all these dudes and they seem super chill. Work hard, play hard type of dudes. As long as your roommate is down with that mindset it should be cool. I'm gonna have no problem telling my roommates I'm not trying to go out and party with them on weekends when they are. As long as you or your homie don't have FOMO you're good.

Agree with ortnakas and raiderette

When you are around fellow medical students, you talk (complain) about school most of the time. Living with someone not in medicine allows you to get a break from all the medical school crap.