Rolling Admission Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAB1215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just attended SUNY's open house this week & met with an admissions representative who advised that I attend one of their programs in late July before submitting my application. I would therefore submit my application sometime in early August. I understand the importance of applying early in the cycle, so I just wanted to ensure that applying in August would still be considered very early? SUNY is my top choice; I was wondering if anyone has experience with SUNY in regards to applying early? If so, would anyone mind sharing when they submitted their application & when they got accepted?
Also, do schools have access to your application as soon as it's submitted, or as soon as it's "verified?" In other words, if I submit my application in August, is that when the admissions committees will be able to view it & is that date the one considered in regards to rolling admission? Or is it the verification date that determines rolling admissions as well as when committees receive applications? I'm wondering because I've seen some posts on here in which verification dates can be about one month after submission.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Once you submit your application, optomcas will go through and verify your application. That process can take several weeks depending on the volume of applications they receive. I want to say mine only took about a week when I submitted in August. By early September I had interview invites and a week after that I was accepted.
August is definitely not late at all and you should take the advice from SUNY to wait until after! Good luck!

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Since you said that it only took about one week for your application to be verified when you submitted it in August, but it also depends on the volume of applications submitted, is it to your understanding that the majority of applicants do not apply in the summer months? (I realize this may be a question that you may have no way of knowing lol)

Also, I am taking the OAT in early August, & plan to only take it that one time. However, if I decide to take it a second time, I am aware that I will have to wait 3 months to take the OAT a second time. Therefore, if I send in my OptomCas application before I take the OAT the first time (in early August), and then decide to take it a second time (in November then), how would that affect my rolling admissions? It was my understanding that if you submit the OptomCas application before OAT scores are sent, that your application is put on hold by schools, but your application is still considered before those who submitted theirs after you; however, does anyone know how it would work, in regards to rolling admissions, if I sent in my application in August & then took the OAT for a second time in November?
Thanks!

Once you submit your application, optomcas will go through and verify your application. That process can take several weeks depending on the volume of applications they receive. I want to say mine only took about a week when I submitted in August. By early September I had interview invites and a week after that I was accepted.
August is definitely not late at all and you should take the advice from SUNY to wait until after! Good luck!
Hi! You said that you submitted your application in august- how early in august did you submit it? I leave for a trip from July 10- August 1st and I know that it is better to submit your info to OptomCAS asap. I was wondering if you could give me your thoughts on whether or not June 28- July 9 would be enough time for me to get all my info into OptomCAS before I leave- or if it will still be ok to wait until I get back to continue working on it? Since my OAT score isnt the best- I am trying my best to make sure that I try to make up for it in other areas (such as applying to schools literally as early as possible). Thank you so much for your help. :)