RN to MD Progress/Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hah, tell me about it! I've seen so many nurses get yelled at mostly by surgeons in my career. :mask::mask::mask:

Next up would be internal medicine doctors or hospitalists. :meh:

Lol I used to work in CVICU that was "run" by CT surgeons. I don't know how many times nurses cried because of how the CT surgeons treated the nurses with their bigoted ego. Even management were afraid of the surgeons, which means any support for their nursing staff is non-existent. Fortunately for me, I've never had any negative experience with any docs. I guess you can be treated as the spoil child, being that you are the one bringing in money to the hospital. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but I just wanted to know if Pathophysiology, and both Anatomy & Physiology which were prereqs for nursing is considered a "science" class in calculating the sGPA.

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but I just wanted to know if Pathophysiology, and both Anatomy & Physiology which were prereqs for nursing is considered a "science" class in calculating the sGPA.
Yes they are...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! New here, and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 27 year old mom of a 5 year old and am due with my second in about 3 weeks. I graduated with my BSN in December, and am planning on working for a year before enrolling in my local post bacc program, then during my gap year. So, I'll probably be around 30 by the time I start medical school.

I had always wanted to be a doctor, for as long as I could remember. Then I got married, moved for his education, got pregnant, etc. Basically life happened! I thought that nursing would satisfy my thirst for knowledge in healthcare, so I went that route. Plus, it was easy to do with a child, and the amount of time (in my case it took 3 years to complete my BSN) sounded appealing. I remember when my first semester of nursing school ended, I thought, is this really what I want? It's so hard to put into words, but that thirst for knowledge was never quenched. It felt like every single patient I had had this giant bubble around them, and I could only do so much to help them (like elevate the HOB, give them oxygen), but I could never actually fix the real problem, I could never get into that bubble. It's a very frustrating feeling, one that I'm assuming most of you can relate to! I held on hope that it would get better and that I might change my mind, so I decided to finish. Well, around November, my mind had not changed. I still want to be a doctor!

My husband is completely on board, he knows I can do it. He just wants me to pay off some debt before I enroll in a post bacc (he's an engineer, so his main concern is how much it will cost us). I feel somewhat irresponsible, because I could care less about money and debt :). I would gladly work as a nurse for my entire life... if it made me happy, which I know it won't. I already know this is what I want to do, but just wanted to say hello to the fellow RN's out there looking to become a doctor. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
Hello all. I am a nurse practitioner student, will be completing my degree this coming December. Going through NP school has only made my desire to pursue medicine that much stronger. I am completely unsatisfied with the depth and breadth of knowledge I have obtained. I live in NY and will be able to practice independently, but I don't feel with my education I will ever feel comfortable treating anything but basic conditions. Autonomy is irrelevant if you don't know how to manage certain patients. I crave more knowledge and a deeper understanding. Any fellow NPs out there willing to offer guidance, tips etc...?

I
Hello all. I am a nurse practitioner student, will be completing my degree this coming December. Going through NP school has only made my desire to pursue medicine that much stronger. I am completely unsatisfied with the depth and breadth of knowledge I have obtained. I live in NY and will be able to practice independently, but I don't feel with my education I will ever feel comfortable treating anything but basic conditions. Autonomy is irrelevant if you don't know how to manage certain patients. I crave more knowledge and a deeper understanding. Any fellow NPs out there willing to offer guidance, tips etc...?

I am in the same boat. I have been working as an NP since November. I am starting prerequisites in the fall for med school. My reasons are so very similar to yours.

Reactions: 1 user
So you guys don't believe NP provide equivalent or better care than doctors in primary care settings...
I feel like this is loaded question. Honestly, it depends. Do I think a nurse practitioner can treat common illness i.e. strep throat, yes, yes I do. However, and I can't speak for everyone, I don't feel nurse practitioners have the depth of knowledge to know when a common illness is presenting in an uncommon way. Ultimately I know I don't have the tools I need to treat and manage the population that I see myself working with.

So you guys don't believe NP provide equivalent or better care than doctors in primary care settings...
I believe we can treat some complex diseases. At the same time, I know we treat certain dx because of guidelines and protocols. Doctors gain the knowledge in med school to understand the pathophysiology. I am not saying I don't think I provide good care because I do. I just want to be better for myself and the patient.

A bit about myself:

34 years old, BS biopsych from huge state school, BSN from well-respected local nursing school's accelerated program. 3.6 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 512 MCAT (I busted my buns with AAMC's question banks and rolled the dice on taking the first sitting of MCAT 2015, and that gamble paid off big - so much more of the exam is clinically focused now vice "old" MCAT, and that format worked hugely to my advantage). Had to go back and take Physics 101/102 d/t not having either of those the first time around, which also had the welcome side effect of bumping my sGPA. I've been an ED nurse for a total of six years, the last two years of that as a "nurse clinician" (charge nurse-plus) at a busy community ED, plus 1.5 years of CVSICU at our affiliated big academic center. Board certified in both nursing specialties, two clinical research projects, a couple of nursing honors awards and a few overseas mission trips under my belt, and I also taught nursing clinicals at my old BSN program.

Why I made the leap: I went to CVSICU trying to acquire the mythical "year of critical care experience" required to qualify for advanced practice nursing programs (emergency isn't considered critical care by nursing PDs = who do they think resuscitates and stabilizes the ICU players before they get to ICU?), and spent a huge amount of time working with our NPs and CRNAs as part of that stint. It didn't take long before I realized: if I went the midlevel route, I would continually want to go further, learn more, do more, be able to do more for the patient, and I'd be limited out by my scope of practice. For that much investment of time, effort and money (NP school is getting ridiculously expensive, to say nothing of CRNA), I'd be a fool not to pursue the highest education available. Plus, no spouse/kids/UG debt means my options are much, much more open than most folks going the non-trad route.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. I'll be starting an MD program in the fall. :D

Reactions: 9 users
Lol I used to work in CVICU that was "run" by CT surgeons. I don't know how many times nurses cried because of how the CT surgeons treated the nurses with their bigoted ego. Even management were afraid of the surgeons, which means any support for their nursing staff is non-existent. Fortunately for me, I've never had any negative experience with any docs. I guess you can be treated as the spoil child, being that you are the one bringing in money to the hospital. :D

This is often enough b/c some nurses don't get how anal-retentive these surgeons must be out of absolute necessity. I really hate the whole dump on surgeons thing. I worked with CTsurgeons for years, and there was very rarely a problem, and I worked in a number of CT OHS/SICUs. The deal is you kind of have to prove your bright and on the ball and are looking out for your patients. Once they know that you know what you are doing and really care, that is usually the linking point, and things move on as team, as it should. Sure, sometimes there are higher stress situations, and sometimes crap rolls downhill. As long as it is not a pattern, you need to be understanding of the level of stress and what is at stake. I'm not making excuses for anyone. Like I said, it's about if there is a true pattern of being a jerk or abuse, or in some sad but thankfully for me, rare cases, where the surgeon doesn't give a damn as much as he/she should. But seriously, that is very rare. You don't work that hard to get that far and not give a crap. So yea, there is always the occasional jerk, brat, uncaring SOB with an issue, who deep inside, really hates his/her job as a surgeon and feels stuck--but that is by far the exception and NOT the rule.

I feel like a number of nurses, especially early on, don't get how much stress the surgeons are under and what kind responsibility and dedication the role calls for. This is not kissing up. This is many years of experience speaking. :)

Just when I think I'm semi-done with a PS draft, I ended up revising the majority of it. It's so hard to use jusssssst the right amount of emotional appeal, so as it doesn't sound like a sap story. Can anyone briefly tell me what they did for their outline? Did you start off the bat explaining why nursing->med, did you defined what nursing is to you, or something else? I'm trying to incorporate a significant nonclinical activity as my opening paragraph, but it's hard to transition to nursing after.

Just when I think I'm semi-done with a PS draft, I ended up revising the majority of it. It's so hard to use jusssssst the right amount of emotional appeal, so as it doesn't sound like a sap story. Can anyone briefly tell me what they did for their outline? Did you start off the bat explaining why nursing->med, did you defined what nursing is to you, or something else? I'm trying to incorporate a significant nonclinical activity as my opening paragraph, but it's hard to transition to nursing after.

Mine opened with the experience that brought me into nursing (I didn't start out here), then talked a little about my development as a nurse, then a patient experience that really defined what drew me towards medicine, then talked about how I've refocused since (gone back to school, etc).

It's not an outline that'll work for everyone, but it did for my specific situation. I'm happy to let you read it if you like.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I have not composed my personal statement as of late, but I plan on beginning with my introduction to health care (this started as a nurses' aide), then discuss how that led to my pursuit of nursing, the pursuit of knowledge lead to NP, and ultimately once I arrived to NP, I realized I would not be fulfilled if I stopped there. I have some personal reasons as to why and experiences that have impacted that choice. I plan to tie those in. I need some assistance with the compliation of my thoughts and to ensure I have a good flow throughout the statement.

I feel like a number of nurses, especially early on, don't get how much stress the surgeons are under and what kind responsibility and dedication the role calls for. This is not kissing up. This is many years of experience speaking. :)
Who cares they are under stress! It's not like they did not know what they were getting themselves into. They cannot use stress they are under as an excuse to be dingus to ancillary staff. These guys 'might' be the reason of all the professionalism BS hours that have been added to med school curriculum.

Took the MCAT yesterday, guys! I am both relieved beyond belief and anxious for the results. Hope everyone's journey is going well!

Reactions: 4 users
I

I am in the same boat. I have been working as an NP since November. I am starting prerequisites in the fall for med school. My reasons are so very similar to yours.

Hey HI, me too!

I am brand new and this is my first post and I am happy to meet both of you. So . . . HI and this is my general introduction I guess?

I'm an NP in practice since 2012 -- RN since 2008 (got RN, went to NP school, worked =rCurrently working as a hospitalist, which I hardcore love, but the more I work as an NP the more I NEED to be a physician. I feel like I've sort of 'maxed out' my training and scope and know I can be so much more as a clinician. When I started getting teary every time I saw a med student because I was so jealous, and then when my favorite critical care doc started teaching me to intubate and place central lines and I realized that as much as I loved it, it'd never be in my privileges . . . I knew it was time.

I'm taking some missing pre-reqs and starting to study for the MCAT in hopes of matriculating either fall '18 or '19. My biggest practical problem is labs -- I have TONS of bio and chemistry from undergrad but no lab components because I was an idiot. Those are really hard to get on-line, and I work eves/nights, 7 on/7 off, so evening classes . . . not so much.

Hmm lessi. I will be 34 or 35 when I start, IF I get accepted. Married with one kid. Decided med school was more important than kid #2 so I think we are one and done. Haven't taken the MCAT yet so no stats there, but I standardize test very very well so I am optimistic. It has been years since I looked at my undegrad transcript but I'm pretty sure I was in the 3.8 range, more like 3.6 for sciences because O-Chem, let's be real. God knows though -- haven't looked since I applied to my RN-NP program nine years ago.

Looking at Albert Einstein, NYU, Hofstra, Drexel, Vanderbilt, University of Michigan, UPenn Perelman, Duke, and Tufts. These all have more 'holistic' admissions criteria and I think I would do better there, though some of them are huge 'reach' schools for me. I'm thinking Drexel and Hofstra are more in my 'zone.' So far, though, I have been sending query letters along the lines of, 'hey, this is me; this is my coursework; I have these courses but lack these labs; would my application be read or would it never get through the filters?' and Vanderbilt sent me the NICEST personal reply along the lines of, 'we changed our application process basically for people like you. Please apply; we'd read the application.' So even though they're a reach for me they just rocketed themselves to my first choice just for being nice. ;-)

OTOH I am in NYS and could commute to the city so practically I would like to get into NYU or Einstein, maybe Hofstra. But basically -- if they admit me I WILL GO THERE.

Hoping to get to know you all!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey HI, me too!

I am brand new and this is my first post and I am happy to meet both of you. So . . . HI and this is my general introduction I guess?

I'm an NP in practice since 2012 -- RN since 2008 (got RN, went to NP school, worked =rCurrently working as a hospitalist, which I hardcore love, but the more I work as an NP the more I NEED to be a physician. I feel like I've sort of 'maxed out' my training and scope and know I can be so much more as a clinician. When I started getting teary every time I saw a med student because I was so jealous, and then when my favorite critical care doc started teaching me to intubate and place central lines and I realized that as much as I loved it, it'd never be in my privileges . . . I knew it was time.

I'm taking some missing pre-reqs and starting to study for the MCAT in hopes of matriculating either fall '18 or '19. My biggest practical problem is labs -- I have TONS of bio and chemistry from undergrad but no lab components because I was an idiot. Those are really hard to get on-line, and I work eves/nights, 7 on/7 off, so evening classes . . . not so much.

Hmm lessi. I will be 34 or 35 when I start, IF I get accepted. Married with one kid. Decided med school was more important than kid #2 so I think we are one and done. Haven't taken the MCAT yet so no stats there, but I standardize test very very well so I am optimistic. It has been years since I looked at my undegrad transcript but I'm pretty sure I was in the 3.8 range, more like 3.6 for sciences because O-Chem, let's be real. God knows though -- haven't looked since I applied to my RN-NP program nine years ago.

Looking at Albert Einstein, NYU, Hofstra, Drexel, Vanderbilt, University of Michigan, UPenn Perelman, Duke, and Tufts. These all have more 'holistic' admissions criteria and I think I would do better there, though some of them are huge 'reach' schools for me. I'm thinking Drexel and Hofstra are more in my 'zone.' So far, though, I have been sending query letters along the lines of, 'hey, this is me; this is my coursework; I have these courses but lack these labs; would my application be read or would it never get through the filters?' and Vanderbilt sent me the NICEST personal reply along the lines of, 'we changed our application process basically for people like you. Please apply; we'd read the application.' So even though they're a reach for me they just rocketed themselves to my first choice just for being nice. ;-)

OTOH I am in NYS and could commute to the city so practically I would like to get into NYU or Einstein, maybe Hofstra. But basically -- if they admit me I WILL GO THERE.

Keep us updated on your progress!

Who cares they are under stress! It's not like they did not know what they were getting themselves into. They cannot use stress they are under as an excuse to be dingus to ancillary staff. These guys 'might' be the reason of all the professionalism BS hours that have been added to med school curriculum.

I don't really buy the stress argument either. Everyone's under stress. I don't do surgery but I do go to most of our codes (not on the team for the code blues tho I go for backup and I am on our rapid response team), and all of those code team leaders are under equal stress, yet some are gracious to the staff and others....not so much.

I think how one behaves under pressure is pretty telling about how one is as a person. Not everyone who is cool in an emergency is a nice person (I'm cool in a crisis and I don't claim to be super nice!) but rank jackassery in a code/surgery/any stressful situation.....yeah that makes me think less of you.

Reactions: 2 users
Keep us updated on your progress!

Thank you!! I am already getting hives I am so ramped up about this so I think I will be here a lot to beg for help chilling the bleep out. ;-)

I am going to go digging through the thread to read up on everyone else's progress but I am curious to hear more updates too! It's kinda an old thread.

Thank you!! I am already getting hives I am so ramped up about this so I think I will be here a lot to beg for help chilling the bleep out. ;-)

I am going to go digging through the thread to read up on everyone else's progress but I am curious to hear more updates too! It's kinda an old thread.
I finish my NP program this December. It will take me 1.5 to 2 years to get all the prereqs in. Just working on maintaining a high GPA and volunteering.

I don't really buy the stress argument either. Everyone's under stress. I don't do surgery but I do go to most of our codes (not on the team for the code blues tho I go for backup and I am on our rapid response team), and all of those code team leaders are under equal stress, yet some are gracious to the staff and others....not so much.

I think how one behaves under pressure is pretty telling about how one is as a person. Not everyone who is cool in an emergency is a nice person (I'm cool in a crisis and I don't claim to be super nice!) but rank jackassery in a code/surgery/any stressful situation.....yeah that makes me think less of you.
Agreed. I saw far more "rank jackassery" (perfect description, BTW ;)) in CVSICU than I ever did in the emergency department, and I would dare anyone to claim that CVSICU codes are somehow more emergent or require more dedication and responsibility than ED codes. I think it's more to do with the individual physician's mental model of practice - are you in a practice of "me being 100% amazing every day and these other little people who occasionally do something useful when they're not being my blame targets," or "me working in a team of multiple skill sets that together accomplishes something really amazing every day"? I've been lucky enough to work with quite a few physicians and surgeons who have championed the team model, and not only do they achieve non-inferior (and indeed, generally superior) clinical results to the It's All About Me folks, but they tend to be happier and more stable in their careers as well.

Back on topic: Welcome, pepperedmoth and brainnurse! Looking forward to hearing how your journey goes!

Hey HI, me too!

Hi,
Sounds like you have a great plan! I know what you mean by getting jealous when you see a med student..haha. At least I am not the only one that happens too. I also feel like I have maxed out and have so much more to offer.

Thank you, and YAY on taking the MCAT! How was the experience? Need a virtual drink? Feel it went well?

That test was something else. My stamina took a hit about halfway through, though I had prepared with multiple FLs before the test. I'm definitely still feeling the need to drink though! :D Now my focus is on gathering the rest of my LoEs, coming up with my school list, and trying hard not to obsess over the score, since it won't be coming out for another month.

Hey guys, I am trying to enter my courses to calculate my GPA. Came across my Dosage Calculations course. Technically it /is/ a math course, I just somewhat stumped by the fact that the class is designated as "RNSG" rather than "MATH" for the course descriptor. What do you guys think? List as a BCPM course or not?

Hey guys, I am trying to enter my courses to calculate my GPA. Came across my Dosage Calculations course. Technically it /is/ a math course, I just somewhat stumped by the fact that the class is designated as "RNSG" rather than "MATH" for the course descriptor. What do you guys think? List as a BCPM course or not?

"Please select course classifications based on the primary content of the course. For courses that are not listed, use your judgment – TMDSAS will make a final decision in determining the correct course area during processing."

https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/section_Overview.html

Hello all. 22 year old new grad nurse in to join the fun. Currently am back at school taking my pre med requirements. Hoping to matriculate in 2018. You are all very inspirational. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 users
Spring semester completed!!! Picking up more shifts at work before summer classes start. Let's keep this thread going guys n gals.

Spring semester over as well. 3 more pre-reqs left before I start MCAT prep. Bring on O Chem 2 in the summer!

I am joining the thread! Glad to find a label I fit into--"Non-Trad" ;)

I have been an RN for five years and just got accepted into a competetive NP program, but I couldn't accept it, I really want to go all the way into the phys and pharm of medical school and I'm not afraid of the investment--I think I will love medical school. I want to be an emergency physician.

I have a high cumulative GPA, maybe 3.8 or so, and even higher in the sciences and math but my transcripts are a MESS! I have five different transcripts, and I only took one term of physics (out of three), and only two of organic chem. I regret not finishing them all the way through but I got into a really competetive Accelerated BSN program and decided to quit wasting time and $ on pre medical stuff... That was six years ago...

So I'm thinking of doing a Post BAC program versus just finishing out Organic chem and physics, but it will look even messier because now I live near a university that uses semesters rather than terms... And plus I need to take MCAT. I would rather be able to take molecular bio and biochem, but I guess I really need to have the prerequisites done first.

I also have kids, so I am not able to rush things intensively... But I'm on my way, taking some little steps towards the big goal. I wonder if anyone knows of some sort of advising service for non traditional applicants, since I am not a full time undergrad, I don't qualify for academic advising...

Last edited:
I am joining the thread! Glad to find a label I fit into--"Non-Trad" ;)

I have been an ED RN for five years and just got accepted into a competetive NP program, but I couldn't accept it, I really want to go all the way into the phys and pharm of medical school and I'm not afraid of the investment--I think I will love medical school. I want to be an emergency physician.

I have a high cumulative GPA, maybe 3.8 or so, and even higher in the sciences and math but my transcripts are a MESS! I have five different transcripts, and I only took one term of physics (out of three), and only two of organic chem. I regret not finishing them all the way through but I got into a really competetive Accelerated BSN program and decided to quit wasting time and $ on pre medical stuff... That was six years ago...

So I'm thinking of doing a Post BAC program versus just finishing out Organic chem and physics, but it will look even messier because now I live near a university that uses semesters rather than terms... And plus I need to take MCAT. I would rather be able to take molecular bio and biochem, but I guess I really need to have the prerequisites done first.

I also have two little kids, so I am not able to rush things intensively... But I'm on my way, taking some little steps towards the big goal. I wonder if anyone knows of some sort of advising service for non traditional applicants, since I am not a full time undergrad, I don't qualify for academic advising...

ED represent, wassuuuuuuuuuuup.

Don't worry about the number of transcripts. I had seven. It's a pain to manage come application time but it won't hurt you.

You don't need to take a formal post-bacc (if that's what you're referring to). They tend to be expensive and somewhat impractical timewise if you're still working. You can take all the needed classes on your own, that's perfectly fine. The only thing to watch out for is if your university gives preference in class selection to degree-seeking students, as that can mean you get shut out of certain classes flooded with sophomores and juniors. Some people enroll as 2nd degree students in order to circumvent this and just don't finish the degree. It's something to be aware of and look into.

Also make sure that your Bio and Chem (I'm assuming since you hadn't mentioned them that you've already taken them) are the appropriate level for medical school. Many nursing degrees, even BSN-level, steer their students to Bio/Chem courses for non-science majors and that can be a problem. If you do already have the real ones you need then yes, you need OChem (Ochem II is become less common as a pre-req but some schools still want it), Physics I/II, Biochem, a basic sociology course, a basic psychology course, and usually an English or two. Certain schools have math requirements (often stats). The best thing to do is to get the MSAR https://services.aamc.org/msar/home and look around at schools you're interested in, get a feel for what pre-reqs you're going to need in the end (note: MSAR only covers MD schools, not DO)

As for advising, well. The university I went to for pre-med didn't offer any pre-med advising at all, so I know that pain. I got about 80% of my advising from reading the heck out of SDN, and the other 20 from some newer-minted physician colleagues who still remembered the process. We have some adcoms that frequent SDN and can help with you more complicated questions. As for the rest, much of the info you need is here...it can be difficult to find and sometimes buried in a mound of b.s. but it's there. Never be afraid to reach out.

Good luck to you :)

Last edited:
Thank you!

I have a full year of Bio and Chem on my transcript, but not the labs. (All A's)
I have plenty of psych, soc, English, stats, calc... (All A's)
Then I have an A in two terms (out of three) in O-Chem with labs
And an A in one term (out of three) in Physics w/calc.
I took A&P for a full year and had A's, plus I have a 3.9 GPA in my BSN program which included patholhysiology and pharmacology.
I worked in an organic synthesis lab, and did End-of-life research at the prestigious nursing school I attended. Prior to nursing, I was a Peace corps volunteer and a Spanish teacher... And a couple other crazy things.

I'm thinking of enrolling in second semester physics with lab at the local Uni for fall semester, then second semester of O-chem with lab spring semester, all the while studying for MCAT and then taking it in the Spring. That would be a breeze...

It's just that if I did a post-bac, I could prove that I can handle a full course load of rigorous courses and have a neat transcript package plus lots of references, connections, and strong letters if I get into the post Bac at the University where I would want to go to medical school... (Not to mention establish in state residency, making the cost of the post BAC program worth it..l)

Thanks for reading and for the encouragement!

I could tell you, but then I'd have to reject you!
Oh, ok, oops. I am new on here. I'm just curious--it is encouraging to see someone say that their school likes to accept RN's :happy:

Oh, ok, oops. I am new on here. I'm just curious--it is encouraging to see someone say that their school likes to accept RN's :happy:

No school doesn't like to accept RNs. You'll find us everywhere. What you won't find is any kind of preferential treatment simply because we're RNs; we still need competitive grades (which you have, great thing!) and MCAT score, solid ECs, strong essays, etc, like everyone else. RN experience can be a definite asset depending how you present it in your application, but it's still just one part of a larger picture. That's all we have to remember :)

Does anybody know how important it is to have shadowing hours under your belt if you are already a healthcare professional? I would like to do some casual shadowing, but do I need tons of hours if I already work closely with MDs? In other words, would it be an issue on my application? Thanks!

Mileage varies. In one of my interviews they seemed confused that I'd bothered shadowing at all; in another I was told that only 75 shadowing hours was a weakness in my application. I'd recommend doing about 100 hours with a variety of docs if you can, just on that chance you run into someplace that really does want to see it.

Hi everyone,
My name is Nathan, 27, of a Filipino background and an RN in TX for a little more than 3 years now with experience generally on med-surg and orthopedics. I'm glad to see this support thread for RN pursing medicine. So to start with, I've always had this desire of being an MD, but like other members I've seen here, I doubted my capabilities, and so I was easily convinced by my parents and siblings (who are nurses) to take up nursing. I love nursing, in fact, I took advance patho as part of the FNP program at UT Houston as a non-degree seeking student, thinking I would eventually get my FNP degree. I really enjoyed studying advance patho, that I was longing for more, but as I've seen, (at least at UT), aside from patho, they don't have anything further than that (science wise), and I think I would feel inadequate as a provider (that's not to say that NPs are not well trained/prepared, the NPs in my hospital are amazing, and brilliant! but personally, I wouldn't feel prepared enough) . And this brought me back to my childhood dream of becoming a physician! After finishing advance patho, I enrolled myself for a DIY post-back for med school, and trying to be really optimistic about it! :)
What are my chances? My grades are not stellar. My cGPA (for over 130 credits) is around 3.1, and my science sGPA is around 3.3 . Hoping to bring it up this semester (I'm taking up Orgo 1 and Physics 2), and will be taking their 2nd parts next semester (Spring). I plan on taking MCAT summer next year, and hoping to matriculate at 2017.

Just an update guys. After 2 sem of cramming all my prerequisites (Gen Chems, Ochems, Physics, and Bios), I think I'm ready to apply this cycle. I was able to improve my GPA (I made all A's in the classes I took except Phys II). I'm currently enrolled in Kaplan and taking my MCAT on Sept. 10. I actually rescheduled it from May 10. There was no way I could study for MCAT while taking 3 classes, and working full time. My current stats: with grade replacement for DO schools (sGPA 3.74, and cGPA of 3.37), without grade rep for MD schools (sGPA is 3.47 and cGPA 3.28). As my MCAT score won't be released till October, friends have discouraged me to apply as most schools have filled their spots already. Also, I don't know if MD school is even worth a shot with my stats. My ECs, LORs, are not quite strong. However, I'll be shadowing a DO for 24 hrs this June, hopefully I can get a good LOR. I'm however considering taking some more science class to beef up my GPA (genetics or biochem perhaps). Part of me wants to use a year off for some ECs, and shadowing, but I don't know if that's really necesarry having been a nurse for 5 years. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Just an update guys. After 2 sem of cramming all my prerequisites (Gen Chems, Ochems, Physics, and Bios), I think I'm ready to apply this cycle. I was able to improve my GPA (I made all A's in the classes I took except Phys II). I'm currently enrolled in Kaplan and taking my MCAT on Sept. 10. I actually rescheduled it from May 10. There was no way I could study for MCAT while taking 3 classes, and working full time. My current stats: with grade replacement for DO schools (sGPA 3.74, and cGPA of 3.37), without grade rep for MD schools (sGPA is 3.47 and cGPA 3.28). As my MCAT score won't be released till October, friends have discouraged me to apply as most schools have filled their spots already. Also, I don't know if MD school is even worth a shot with my stats. My ECs, LORs, are not quite strong. However, I'll be shadowing a DO for 24 hrs this June, hopefully I can get a good LOR. I'm however considering taking some more science class to beef up my GPA (genetics or biochem perhaps). Part of me wants to use a year off for some ECs, and shadowing, but I don't know if that's really necesarry having been a nurse for 5 years. Any ideas?

The advice I received was that shadowing is low yield for nurses, so I wouldn't do too much of that. Volunteer activities would probably be a better choice.

I would not apply so late in cycle, particularly since you're not happy with your ECs and LORs. Get stronger ones and apply next year to avoid the repplicant stigma. Your stats don't look bad, specially if you offset them with a great MCAT. I will be applying to MD schools with lower stats and a good MCAT. I'll update you on the results as the year unfolds.

Edit: Also, yayyy, Filipino nurses on the med track! :D

Last edited:
^I pushed my shadowing back too until near application time, but I wish I hadn't. I learned a bunch of things I didn't know and was able to ask many questions that were only appropriate on a 1-on-1 basis. Being a nurse and seeing the doc call a consult or put in a few orders is not the same experience as being able to pick their brains.

I'm currently enrolled in Kaplan and taking my MCAT on Sept. 10. I actually rescheduled it from May 10. There was no way I could study for MCAT while taking 3 classes, and working full time. My current stats: with grade replacement for DO schools (sGPA 3.74, and cGPA of 3.37), without grade rep for MD schools (sGPA is 3.47 and cGPA 3.28). As my MCAT score won't be released till October, friends have discouraged me to apply as most schools have filled their spots already.

Death sentence for MD, unless you have the equivalent of an H-bomb for an application. Which unfortunately you don't, with that GPA and self-admitted weak ECs and LORs. Don't do it. Take the MCAT in September if you feel ready in September, but get ready to apply in 2017 and come at it strong from day it opens.

Also, I don't know if MD school is even worth a shot with my stats. My ECs, LORs, are not quite strong. However, I'll be shadowing a DO for 24 hrs this June, hopefully I can get a good LOR. I'm however considering taking some more science class to beef up my GPA (genetics or biochem perhaps). Part of me wants to use a year off for some ECs, and shadowing, but I don't know if that's really necesarry having been a nurse for 5 years. Any ideas?

See my post above re shadowing. Some places won't think so. Some will. Use your own judgment.

Other ECs are absolutely necessary. Being a nurse is just one aspect of an application. Adcoms are looking for well-rounded people with a good dose of altruism.

A low GPA can have subtleties, so it kind of depends. It's better if that low GPA is the end result of a very low old GPA + very high GPA in extended, rigorous post-bacc. It looks worse if it's just that your performance was lackluster all the way through. Definitely take as much upper-division hard science as you can and get As (biochem is on the MCAT, by the way). Consult the low GPA thread in this forum for an idea of what people with sub-par GPAs have gone to make themselves marketable. It's definitely not easy, speaking as someone who came from an abysmal GPA, myself.

Whatever you do, I would put down the application for this cycle. Step back and make a plan to make yourself a strong candidate, and only apply when your app is the strongest it can possibly be.

@Eccesignum, I have been following your progress through the last cycle. You, madam, are an inspiration!

And probably a god. Probably. <_<

Finally, a thread I can actually relate to!

-Hello guys! My name is Ana, I am 24 years old, and I am 2 semesters away from finishing my second degree in nursing. My road has not been all that predictable (like most, I can imagine). Straight out of high school I thought I would finish college as a pre-med/biology major...and boy was I wrong! To my honest defense, I can say that I got lost in Life. I transferred from an "ok" school where I had a 4.0 gpa to a well known school in the state where my gpa dropped like never before. All I remember was feeling as though the classes I chose were just so ridiculously intense and felt inevitably hopeless and frustrated with myself. Honestly, it was as though Life pretty much got the best out of me. Thank God, during one of my undergrad semesters I ended up meeting a good academic advisor who told me her personal story of the pediatric nurses who took good care of her child who had to undergo a serious medical procedure. During that time, I was partnered up as an EMT with a high school friend who was also going to school for nursing and felt I bit inspired to take a hiatus from the medical school route and attempt going to school for nursing. Needless to say, a year later after this "epiphany" I did not only graduate with a public health degree but also finished the pre-reqs for nursing school and soon after...LITERALLY not even a week after finishing my last prereqs course, I began nursing school.
Currently this summer I am indeed going insane because I am not used to simply taking a summer break. I finished my second semester in nursing school and I must admit that most people underestimate nursing school. Needless to say, my biggest dilemma at the moment is that I know for a fact that I want to attend medical school while working as an RN (preferably a pediatric RN). I have not discussed this with many of my nursing peers because I get the idea that it is just that "thing" many people in my shoes stay away from! Truth is that even my most "wonderfullest" (yes, I said wonderfullest) nursing professors always tend to speak negative about doctors and I am afraid that their suggestions may just be a bit too biased. Quite frankly, I am hesitating to take 1 out of the 5 classes I still need in order to apply to med school and I can only say that my hesitation derives from the fact that I am on a budget (it isn't easy recuperating from 2 nursing semesters while simply working at a part-time job). Though, closed relatives of mine have offered to help, I would like to know from anyone what they think would be the appropriate thing for someone in my shoes to do. I do admit that as time passes I am becoming more doubtful in myself because as much as some of friends tell me to just "enjoy" the ride, I have always "enjoyed" the ride while I was taking courses for my career. For this reason I have been continuously debating on whether or no I should:

1.Take this time to review my bio and chem stuff using books such as Princeton Review
2. Enroll in a summer II session course (take chem II)
-or-
3. Strictly focus on nursing stuff (i.e. earn my ACLS and PALS certs)

Overall, I would like to thank anyone who takes the time out to read this LOL...I apologize for such lengthy post.
and I can only say that while in college I studied hard and not smart. I allowed my insecurities get the best out of me and yes, I am willing to take risks BUT I certainly want to use my time WISELY.

Finally, a thread I can actually relate to!

-Hello guys! My name is Ana, I am 24 years old, and I am 2 semesters away from finishing my second degree in nursing. My road has not been all that predictable (like most, I can imagine). Straight out of high school I thought I would finish college as a pre-med/biology major...and boy was I wrong! To my honest defense, I can say that I got lost in Life. I transferred from an "ok" school where I had a 4.0 gpa to a well known school in the state where my gpa dropped like never before. All I remember was feeling as though the classes I chose were just so ridiculously intense and felt inevitably hopeless and frustrated with myself. Honestly, it was as though Life pretty much got the best out of me. Thank God, during one of my undergrad semesters I ended up meeting a good academic advisor who told me her personal story of the pediatric nurses who took good care of her child who had to undergo a serious medical procedure. During that time, I was partnered up as an EMT with a high school friend who was also going to school for nursing and felt I bit inspired to take a hiatus from the medical school route and attempt going to school for nursing. Needless to say, a year later after this "epiphany" I did not only graduate with a public health degree but also finished the pre-reqs for nursing school and soon after...LITERALLY not even a week after finishing my last prereqs course, I began nursing school.
Currently this summer I am indeed going insane because I am not used to simply taking a summer break. I finished my second semester in nursing school and I must admit that most people underestimate nursing school. Needless to say, my biggest dilemma at the moment is that I know for a fact that I want to attend medical school while working as an RN (preferably a pediatric RN). I have not discussed this with many of my nursing peers because I get the idea that it is just that "thing" many people in my shoes stay away from! Truth is that even my most "wonderfullest" (yes, I said wonderfullest) nursing professors always tend to speak negative about doctors and I am afraid that their suggestions may just be a bit too biased. Quite frankly, I am hesitating to take 1 out of the 5 classes I still need in order to apply to med school and I can only say that my hesitation derives from the fact that I am on a budget (it isn't easy recuperating from 2 nursing semesters while simply working at a part-time job). Though, closed relatives of mine have offered to help, I would like to know from anyone what they think would be the appropriate thing for someone in my shoes to do. I do admit that as time passes I am becoming more doubtful in myself because as much as some of friends tell me to just "enjoy" the ride, I have always "enjoyed" the ride while I was taking courses for my career. For this reason I have been continuously debating on whether or no I should:

1.Take this time to review my bio and chem stuff using books such as Princeton Review
2. Enroll in a summer II session course (take chem II)
-or-
3. Strictly focus on nursing stuff (i.e. earn my ACLS and PALS certs)

Overall, I would like to thank anyone who takes the time out to read this LOL...I apologize for such lengthy post.
and I can only say that while in college I studied hard and not smart. I allowed my insecurities get the best out of me and yes, I am willing to take risks BUT I certainly want to use my time WISELY.

Why would you be reviewing bio/chem stuff right now? Focus on senior year, get a job line up during your last semester, pass NCLEX, work 1+ year while doing all the normal pre-med stuff, plan your MCAT, and apply.

I understand that it is NOT an excuse, but in reality, once you see what they are dealing with, it's way crazier than most people know. If you work and watch them closely, you will see why sometimes they may be short. If they are consistently short and j.o.s most of them know it will be a problem, and they need the follow-up post-op care to be good, thorough, on the ball, detailed in documentation, etc, b/c it ultimately affects the patients and reflects on them and their stats. Especially certain types of surgery, like general, thoracic, neuro, orthopedics, vascular etc, are WAY more arduous and demanding that most can possibly fathom. They can't screw around or blow off a serious mess up. It's very exacting and the training is the most grueling IMO. You have to really love and want it. If nurses won't work respectfully with them to strive for excellence, no wonder these nurses get disrespected. If you don't want to walk that line, work another area of nursing. SMH