Rheum fellowship from community IM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to do my IM residency at a large community hospital but match into a rheum fellowship. Will that be problematic?

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to do my IM residency at a large community hospital but match into a rheum fellowship. Will that be problematic?
It will not be problematic for rheum, endo, ID, nephro, palliative, sleep or similar less competitive specialties. You probably won't match to do your fellowship at UCSF, but if you show an interest in rheumatology, get a couple letters, you'll be fine.

sleep??? is that a separate fellowship ? I thought that's something you do AFTER you finish the cc/pulm fellowship, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
sleep??? is that a separate fellowship ? I thought that's something you do AFTER you finish the cc/pulm fellowship, no?
1 year fellowship can be done after pulm, or after straight IM... or after FM, psych, neuro, or even ENT. I have a few friends who went straight IM->Sleep.

I think the job market isn't as good, so if you don't have pulm to do it with people do part time sleep part time PCP.

Reactions: 1 user
It will not be problematic for rheum, endo, ID, nephro, palliative, sleep or similar less competitive specialties. You probably won't match to do your fellowship at UCSF, but if you show an interest in rheumatology, get a couple letters, you'll be fine.

Agree with this. Rheum is not hard to get, especially if you would be satisfied with a position outside BWH/MGH/JHH/HSS/UCSF