This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I talk about not matching in my personal statement for next years match application?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

iforgotmyname

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not match to any program this year. I delayed graduation for a year to do research. Here are my strengths/weaknesses summed up:

Pros
-Top 30 medical school US
-Top half of class overall
-Top quartile clinically
-Step 2 250
-Letters of rec from my Ortho chair, and 2 others with whom I've worked with
-Honored all away rotations from attendings
-Presented research at an international conference over seas

Cons
-Step 1 224 (Severe test anxiety killed me)
-0 publications
-3 total projects
-Not AOA
-Feedback said I lacked confidence
-Feedback said my personality was not a good fit

I was rather surface level in my previous personal statement and only received 5 interviews. I'm looking for advice on whether or not I should be more personal in my statement and also if I should discuss not matching in it as well...

Things I'm doing now:
-Research everyday 7-5/6 with Ortho dept
-Already submitted 2 papers for publication since match week
-Networking
-Community outreach to a program for disabled teens and coaching them in outdoor sports and activities
-Looking to serve on a junior board

*I am also working on a dual application approach to a 2nd specialty, so I understand that I need to have a back up plan. What I'm really seeking advice on is how to strengthen my application for Ortho and what I should include in a personal statement after not matching. I would love to hear from attendings or 5th years who voted on applicants because I'm truly seeking realistic feedback on how I can succeed. Also people who have experience with not matching but then matching the 2nd time. What did you do? I've found it difficult to get genuine feedback from others that are polar opposite between "you're a great applicant and we are shocked you didn't match" to "consider another specialty" (which I am doing, but also not giving up Ortho and I will rank programs first). Thanks everyone in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding your personal statement, you have complete control over it. Invest a substantial amount of time into writing it and make it the best it can be. A few rules of thumb I use when writing my own or editing for others:

1) Be specific (Show, don't tell).
2) Be convincing.
3) Get to the point.
4) Don't overthink it.

You will likely never write something the PD has never seen before. They've heard every reason for why ortho. Just make it personal and be specific.

Every single word/sentence you write should have a purpose. If any sentence is not directly helping your case, get rid of it and add something that does. By far the biggest thing I struggled with when learning to write a strong personal statement was being specific. Fortunately, my mentors pounded this into my head. Even when I edit for others, this is almost always my biggest critique. Always remember "show, don't tell".

I'll let others with more experience comment as to whether or not you should include not matching and assess the rest of your app. Best of luck, hope it works out!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am still a med student so feel free to ignore my suggestions but I hope they will help even a little. Regarding your personal statement, you have complete control over it. Invest a substantial amount of time into writing it and make it the best it can be. A few rules of thumb I use when writing my own or editing for others:

1) Be specific (Show, don't tell)
2) Be convincing
3) Get to the point.
4) Don't overthink it.

You will likely never write something the PD has never seen before. They've heard every reason for why ortho. Just make it personal and be specific.

Every single word/sentence you write should have a purpose. If any sentence is not directly helping your case, get rid of it and add something that does. By far the biggest thing I struggled with when learning to write a strong personal statement was being specific. Fortunately, my mentors pounded this into my head. Even when I edit for others, this is almost always my biggest critique. Always remember "show, don't tell".

I'll let others with more experience comment as to whether or not you should include not matching and assess the rest of your app. Best of luck, hope it works out!
Thanks a lot. I appreciate your positive response. Ive been hesitant to post because it can get really ugly on here sometimes. And not matching is a really sensitive subject and huge dose of reality. My best advice for how to not "not match" is listen to your advisors. There are so many suggestions I wish I would have taken now from not just advisors but other people who were afraid this would happen. But I'm here now & making the best of it. Best of luck to ya!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same issue of not being a good personality fit for ortho. I find it hard to being either so nice that everyone walks all over me vs being confident and called a douche. As a med student, it is my job to sit there with a **** eating grin and take anything surgeons dish at me. But at the same time be confident but not arrogant? I don't understand.

BTW, I am not going for ortho. Just an observation from my evals.

I have the same issue of not being a good personality fit for ortho. I find it hard to being either so nice that everyone walks all over me vs being confident and called a douche. As a med student, it is my job to sit there with a **** eating grin and take anything surgeons dish at me. But at the same time be confident but not arrogant? I don't understand.

It sounds like you understand the role of a med student...

It's going to be like that through out 5 years of residency. Maybe less so as a chief.
I promised myself that I will not treat med students or residents like that in the future as an attending. And I will stand up for my residents when nurses and hospital staffs treat them like ****.

I did not match to any program this year. I delayed graduation for a year to do research. Here are my strengths/weaknesses summed up:

Pros
-Top 30 medical school US
-Top half of class overall
-Top quartile clinically
-Step 2 250
-Letters of rec from my Ortho chair, and 2 others with whom I've worked with
-Honored all away rotations from attendings
-Presented research at an international conference over seas

Cons
-Step 1 224 (Severe test anxiety killed me)
-0 publications
-3 total projects
-Not AOA
-Feedback said I lacked confidence
-Feedback said my personality was not a good fit

I was rather surface level in my previous personal statement and only received 5 interviews. I'm looking for advice on whether or not I should be more personal in my statement and also if I should discuss not matching in it as well...

Things I'm doing now:
-Research everyday 7-5/6 with Ortho dept
-Already submitted 2 papers for publication since match week
-Networking
-Community outreach to a program for disabled teens and coaching them in outdoor sports and activities
-Looking to serve on a junior board

*I am also working on a dual application approach to a 2nd specialty, so I understand that I need to have a back up plan. What I'm really seeking advice on is how to strengthen my application for Ortho and what I should include in a personal statement after not matching. I would love to hear from attendings or 5th years who voted on applicants because I'm truly seeking realistic feedback on how I can succeed. Also people who have experience with not matching but then matching the 2nd time. What did you do? I've found it difficult to get genuine feedback from others that are polar opposite between "you're a great applicant and we are shocked you didn't match" to "consider another specialty" (which I am doing, but also not giving up Ortho and I will rank programs first). Thanks everyone in advance.

Most programs only give the personal statement a cursory glance. One thing I would include is an explanation of what you did to become more competitive in the next cycle. Sounds like you are doing everything else that is more important, research etc.

Also, this may be an unpopular statement, and one you may not want to hear, but the fact that you've been told you aren't a good personality fit for ortho is a big red flag to me. Perhaps you should reconsider your choice of specialty if that statement has been said to you by more than one person. We are pretty good at sussing out who will work well with us, and who will not. The Match works both ways, and although you may think it's the right specialty, the other side's opinion should not be ignored.

Reapplied to ortho this year and matched. For the most part, my personal statement did not change. However, I did add a few sentences in my PS to address the fact that I did not match and mentioned how me reapplying demonstrated my commitment and unwavering passion to be an orthopod.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't match my first time either and got in the 2nd time around. I think talking about your extra year is really important! My year made me a much stronger (more confident in my strengths, got a better handle on how to temper my weaknesses, still felt dedicated to ortho, etc) and talking about it very directly in my personal statement and interview made me stand out.

There are lots of people out there (including several who will review your application) that have similar stories. There are lots of great applicants that don't match so don't be afraid to own your story.

I wouldn't stress the personal statement so much, grades and scores get you the interviews. Away rotations and your interview get you the job. For competitive specialties, you need the total package. Most of those statements don't get looked at closely unless the person has some unusual backstory.

If multiple people have told you don't have the personality to do Ortho, there may be something to it.