Reviewing methods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted678432

What method are you all using to review your material?

So far, I take pretty detailed notes then they basically collect dust in my folder. I'm starting the Destroyer/Bootcamp phase here in about a week and a half, and have started lightly reviewing my material (mainly reviewing chad's through re-reading notes and then taking chapter quizzes).

What have you all been doing to review?? (schedule, method, etc.)

For those of you who took the DAT already, any advice on how you reviewed before Destroyer? Did you find yourself having a pretty firm knowledge on the material before? My main concern is Bio due to the sheer amount of material.

Members don't see this ad.

What method are you all using to review your material?

So far, I take pretty detailed notes then they basically collect dust in my folder. I'm starting the Destroyer/Bootcamp phase here in about a week and a half, and have started lightly reviewing my material (mainly reviewing chad's through re-reading notes and then taking chapter quizzes).

What have you all been doing to review?? (schedule, method, etc.)

For those of you who took the DAT already, any advice on how you reviewed before Destroyer? Did you find yourself having a pretty firm knowledge on the material before? My main concern is Bio due to the sheer amount of material.

It took me a long time before I started Destroyer because I wanted to make sure I knew everything before doing problems. My advice is to start doing Destroyer now because it will give you a good idea of which topics are your weak points, so you can review them to solidify those concepts. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on the required knowledge until I actually started doing problems. Making mistakes really helped to reinforced the concepts for me.

Reactions: 1 user

My knowledge before using Destroyer was really solid - it was one of the last resources I used because it can be really difficult if your foundation isn't pretty good. That said I do wish I had started using it a bit earlier and spaced out the questions more, because I had to rush through it and that made it harder to absorb some of the new information I picked up from it.

It took me a long time before I started Destroyer because I wanted to make sure I knew everything before doing problems. My advice is to start doing Destroyer now because it will give you a good idea of which topics are your weak points, so you can review them to solidify those concepts. I thought I had a pretty good grasp on the required knowledge until I actually started doing problems. Making mistakes really helped to reinforced the concepts for me.
I agree, waiting too late to get to Destroyer can be a mistake. You can not review the Destroyer in a few weeks. I often see students post low scores, esp Bio and state they only did half Destroyer because they ran out of time. Perhaps the score would have been higher had they completed the work.

Nancy

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for the reply!

I am currently on animal form and function for bio and aromaticity for OC. So you're saying I should start destroyer now, even though I haven't completely finished reviewing?? My test is August 10th by the way!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you all for the reply!

I am currently on animal form and function for bio and aromaticity for OC. So you're saying I should start destroyer now, even though I haven't completely finished reviewing?? My test is August 10th by the way!!

I think starting the Destroyer now would be a good idea, do 25-50 questions from each section a day. The Destroyer emphasizes on the important topics of the sciences and if you go through it now you would know what to pay extra attention to when you're going through Chad's and Cliffs/Feralis.

I think starting the Destroyer now would be a good idea, do 25-50 questions from each section a day. The Destroyer emphasizes on the important topics of the sciences and if you go through it now you would know what to pay extra attention to when you're going through Chad's and Cliffs/Feralis.

Okay that sounds good! I'll definitely start giving it a go. Dumb question, but people tend to do destroyer from a scratch paper right?? This way you can do it again??

Thank you!

Okay that sounds good! I'll definitely start giving it a go. Dumb question, but people tend to do destroyer from a scratch paper right?? This way you can do it again??

Thank you!

Yeah it's better to use a scratch paper because you want to go through the Destroyer more than once.

My knowledge before using Destroyer was really solid - it was one of the last resources I used because it can be really difficult if your foundation isn't pretty good. That said I do wish I had started using it a bit earlier and spaced out the questions more, because I had to rush through it and that made it harder to absorb some of the new information I picked up from it.
Do you remember how many days you worked on it ( because I plan to around 25 days after the review for destroyers and practice tests and I don't know if that is enough or not)

Do you remember how many days you worked on it ( because I plan to around 25 days after the review for destroyers and practice tests and I don't know if that is enough or not)

I did it in about a week but I was studying all day/night. 25 days is a lot more reasonable, just make sure you get through all of it.

I did it in about a week but I was studying all day/night. 25 days is a lot more reasonable, just make sure you get through all of it.

I agree, waiting too late to get to Destroyer can be a mistake. You can not review the Destroyer in a few weeks. I often see students post low scores, esp Bio and state they only did half Destroyer because they ran out of time. Perhaps the score would have been higher had they completed the work.

Nancy

I'm getting a little confused about something with the Destroyer..

In college, I see practice tests/problems as a study guide because the professor knows what will be on the test, and what to put on the studyguide/practice problems/etc... I will be starting destroyer soon, but I'm wondering how accurate destroyer is as to what material is on the test? It's difficult for me to envision because the DAT is so broad... It's essentially a Final of like four courses crammed into one test. Does destroyer cover this much material?? Is it likely that you will see concepts appear on both, the DAT and destroyer? I have just skimmed through destroyer here and there, trying to answer a random question on a random page, and then I'd look around and say "Wow! This question is so specific, theres no way that itll be on the DAT." Is this how a lot of destroyer is? I'm definitely confident in Nancy and Dr. Romano's ability to prep students, seeing their flawless reviews, however, I'm just nervous that something on the DAT will not have been covered previously in my studies.

Kinda went on a tangent, but I guess I'm wondering if Destroyer is representative for what will be on the test?

I'm getting a little confused about something with the Destroyer..

In college, I see practice tests/problems as a study guide because the professor knows what will be on the test, and what to put on the studyguide/practice problems/etc... I will be starting destroyer soon, but I'm wondering how accurate destroyer is as to what material is on the test? It's difficult for me to envision because the DAT is so broad... It's essentially a Final of like four courses crammed into one test. Does destroyer cover this much material?? Is it likely that you will see concepts appear on both, the DAT and destroyer? I have just skimmed through destroyer here and there, trying to answer a random question on a random page, and then I'd look around and say "Wow! This question is so specific, theres no way that itll be on the DAT." Is this how a lot of destroyer is? I'm definitely confident in Nancy and Dr. Romano's ability to prep students, seeing their flawless reviews, however, I'm just nervous that something on the DAT will not have been covered previously in my studies.

Kinda went on a tangent, but I guess I'm wondering if Destroyer is representative for what will be on the test?
Very representative. I felt the questions on my DAT were very similar to destroyer.... destroyer is not an overkill.

Very representative. I felt the questions on my DAT were very similar to destroyer.... destroyer is not an overkill.
Okay, glad to hear! So it's not to the point where the questions are so specific that that cannot really be replicated on the DAT?? You felt as though they all contributed to an overall understanding, rather than just memorizing tiny facts like what body structure contains an amino acid that is only optically active on tuesdays?

Okay, glad to hear! So it's not to the point where the questions are so specific that that cannot really be replicated on the DAT?? You felt as though they all contributed to an overall understanding, rather than just memorizing tiny facts like what body structure contains an amino acid that is only optically active on tuesdays?
Looking back at bio destoyer... it really wasn't that much in depth, matter of fact, it covered the basic concepts that were covered on the exam. I found the wording of the questions on the exam to be very similar to destroyer. And yes, I remember one question about plants on the DAT that was in destoyer but they changed the answers and one of the answer choices answered the question. I'm not sure if I even answered your questions lol

Looking back at bio destoyer... it really wasn't that much in depth, matter of fact, it covered the basic concepts that were covered on the exam. I found the wording of the questions on the exam to be very similar to destroyer. And yes, I remember one question about plants on the DAT that was in destoyer but they changed the answers and one of the answer choices answered the question. I'm not sure if I even answered your questions lol
Definitely did! Thanks a ton! I'm anxious and excited to start destroyer