This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drastig

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I originally applied during the 2016-2017 cycle which landed with 3 WLs. I am going to wait another year before re-applying to boost my clinical/shadowing/volunteering experiences. HOWEVER, I took the new MCAT in August 2015 and scored a 515 (128-127-130-130). This score would be "expired" for a lot of the schools I want to re-apply to for the 2018-2019 cycle, which ask for scores to be no older than 3 years by matriculation.

Obviously, there is no going around the fact that I will have to retake the exam. I believe I can do as well, or at least not score too drastically different. Of course, you never know. So I was wondering how bad does it look to have a lower MCAT score than the original, expired one? For example, a new score of 510/511 (idk, I'm throwing numbers out there, hopefully I'd stay consistent and I wouldn't score <510). I want to be prepared for the worst. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

So since you didn't provide alot of information other than your MCAT score, I'm assuming that you may have
1) applied to multiple reach schools for your first cycle
2) a low GPA
3) other red flags in application

Scoring much lower would definitely not be good, but it seems like there is something else going on that may need to be addressed. Boosting clinical experience is great, but if there are other shortcomings it won't necessarily make up too much ground.

I don't believe a 510/511 would hurt from a 515 since you are still able to apply to many great programs.