General Admissions & OTCAS Retaking Class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ltnguy61

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently finished all my pre-reqs and so far my pre-req GPA is looking to be at a 3.5. If I retake two of my classes to go from a B+ to an A, it'll only move my pre-req GPA up to 3.6. Would it be worth it to retake these classes? It would show that I am trying right? The other classes I don't have A's in are Anatomy and those are at a B but all the classes are closed for it or at an inconvenient time so I was wondering if I took the other 2 classes, would it really help my application for graduate school this upcoming cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently finished all my pre-reqs and so far my pre-req GPA is looking to be at a 3.5. If I retake two of my classes to go from a B+ to an A, it'll only move my pre-req GPA up to 3.6. Would it be worth it to retake these classes? It would show that I am trying right? The other classes I don't have A's in are Anatomy and those are at a B but all the classes are closed for it or at an inconvenient time so I was wondering if I took the other 2 classes, would it really help my application for graduate school this upcoming cycle?
I have to say, this doesn't seem worth it. However, you should look at your top schools and see if there is any information about an average pre-req GPA or how they look at GPA. That information may influence your decision here! I retook Statistics to improve a C to an A, but that's a pretty big jump to show you're trying to improve things-- a B+ to an A isn't quite as significant in that way. I think there are more effective ways to make your application stand out- have a fantastic essay, diverse and well-written recommendations and a variety of experiences seem, to me, a better way to stand out.

Reactions: 2 users
I have to say, this doesn't seem worth it. However, you should look at your top schools and see if there is any information about an average pre-req GPA or how they look at GPA. That information may influence your decision here! I retook Statistics to improve a C to an A, but that's a pretty big jump to show you're trying to improve things-- a B+ to an A isn't quite as significant in that way. I think there are more effective ways to make your application stand out- have a fantastic essay, diverse and well-written recommendations and a variety of experiences seem, to me, a better way to stand out.

Yeah, you're right. I thought bringing my pre-req GPA up would help, or show at least I'm trying but I should probably focus more on getting more experience. I just needed a second opinion to help me figure out what I really wanted to do, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you could somehow bump up your anatomy and physiology though, that may be worth the hassle. It's a good indicator to admissions committees that you can handle the academic rigor of their program. However, since every program looks at applicants differently and holistically, your best bet is to do your homework on each one and try to package yourself as the "ideal student" according to their mission, values, and stats of previous applicants. A 3.5 is still a strong GPA. It's what I had and I got into my top choice. However, GPA isn't everything, be sure to strengthen the other parts of your application, too. Good luck this cycle you got this!

Reactions: 1 user
If you could somehow bump up your anatomy and physiology though, that may be worth the hassle. It's a good indicator to admissions committees that you can handle the academic rigor of their program. However, since every program looks at applicants differently and holistically, your best bet is to do your homework on each one and try to package yourself as the "ideal student" according to their mission, values, and stats of previous applicants. A 3.5 is still a strong GPA. It's what I had and I got into my top choice. However, GPA isn't everything, be sure to strengthen the other parts of your application, too. Good luck this cycle you got this!

I wish I would have thought about this beforehand, but I didn't calculate my GPA until after signup for summer classes closed especially anatomy at my community college. I made B's in them, which I do not believe is bad, I just really want to get in the first round of applying so I was stressing on whether I should try a little extra for my B+ to A's. And congratulations on getting into your top choice! Gives me hope!

I wish I would have thought about this beforehand, but I didn't calculate my GPA until after signup for summer classes closed especially anatomy at my community college. I made B's in them, which I do not believe is bad, I just really want to get in the first round of applying so I was stressing on whether I should try a little extra for my B+ to A's. And congratulations on getting into your top choice! Gives me hope!

Thanks! Yeah, applying early is what I think helped me when the average GPA seemed to be higher for a lot of programs. Since time is an issue, I would just focus on making the rest of your application as strong as possible. Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, applying early is what I think helped me when the average GPA seemed to be higher for a lot of programs. Since time is an issue, I would just focus on making the rest of your application as strong as possible. Good luck!

Any chance you could share your stats? Like what were your observation hours? GRE?

Any chance you could share your stats? Like what were your observation hours? GRE?

Undergrad: 3.5 (arts)
Prerequisites: 4.0
GRE: 157 v, 134 q, 3.5 (decided to not retake)
Hours: CCV Intern (293.5), Outpatient peds/Hippotherapy (120), Hand therapy (30), Special Olympics (32), Physical therapy (60)
Letters: OT, anatomy professor, Special Olympics
Applied: Loma Linda, Touro Nevada
Interviews: LLU, Touro (declined offer)
Accepted: LLU (attending)

Undergrad: 3.5 (arts)
Prerequisites: 4.0
GRE: 157 v, 134 q, 3.5 (decided to not retake)
Hours: CCV Intern (293.5), Outpatient peds/Hippotherapy (120), Hand therapy (30), Special Olympics (32), Physical therapy (60)
Letters: OT, anatomy professor, Special Olympics
Applied: Loma Linda, Touro Nevada
Interviews: LLU, Touro (declined offer)
Accepted: LLU (attending)

Thank you! I guess I just need to do a lot more hours to show that I am dedicated as well, I have about ~120 in hours right now, no where close to yours, but I plan on fixing that this summer!

Thank you! I guess I just need to do a lot more hours to show that I am dedicated as well, I have about ~120 in hours right now, no where close to yours, but I plan on fixing that this summer!

That sounds like a good plan. You're right about hours showing programs how serious you are. I also think that they help give you more confidence when answering challenging interview questions ( how is OT different than PT or nursing, etc ) and with writing because you learn new terms and medical diagnoses that you can now talk about. I kept a word doc for making notes when I got home after a day of volunteering/shadowing and that was really helpful. Good luck!