Resume Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the one page rule for resumes still apply for pharmacists? Even after I removed my pharmacy technician and pharmacy intern jobs from my work history, my resume still comes out to 3 pages. The education portion is very small, just two lines with my undergrad and grad school. The next 3 lines are about certifications, licenses, and technical skills and pharmacy programs that I'm proficient at, and the next 2 pages and a half are professional experience.

I have 6 jobs on my resume. The last two jobs are jobs that I no longer work at but are still relevant. And the first four jobs are jobs I'm currently employed at. 3 of them are per-diem.

Should I remove the details from each job about what my duties are at the job?

Members don't see this ad.

You could probably remove the per diem jobs unless they are relevant to the position you are applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a sort of resume CV blend - not a true CV- but items that lend towards that - mine is 3 - there is no magic rule, I see too many people have fluff in the resume and make it 5 or 6 - heck I had one that was 26 pages long. I wouldn't worry about length - worry about what is relevant. For a retail gig - I would be hard pressed to have more than 2. For a clinical spec type job, ya, then go more

I have a sort of resume CV blend - not a true CV- but items that lend towards that - mine is 3 - there is no magic rule, I see too many people have fluff in the resume and make it 5 or 6 - heck I had one that was 26 pages long. I wouldn't worry about length - worry about what is relevant. For a retail gig - I would be hard pressed to have more than 2. For a clinical spec type job, ya, then go more

Going for a full-time hospital staff job. Got called for an interview. I'm thinking of removing the retail places from it, but then that would show a gap in employment.

Going for a full-time hospital staff job. Got called for an interview. I'm thinking of removing the retail places from it, but then that would show a gap in employment.
whatever you do - do not take out positions if it causes gaps in employment - that is a huge red flag anytime I see that. If you want to cull out some PRN positions so it doesn't look like you bounce around from job to job (although you kinda do). Use the fewest number of jobs to keep a consistent employment -

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you either have a weird job or your duties differ drastically from the norm, I would not list duties for jobs. Employers know what a retail or hospital pharmacist does.
this times one thousand - for my old retail gig I simply state "performed the day to day duties of a retail RPh"

Reactions: 1 user