Residential Therapist Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blankie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much can I expect to make starting in this position? I already have an MA in a related field. My goal is to get a MSW or LPC along with the LISAC. At this point, I want to get my foot in the door at an inpatient behavioral treatment center while I am working towards these licenses.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you be more specific as to what you mean by residential counselor. Are you thinking of working at a rehab for example, or inpatient psych unit? I ask because usually this title goes to Bachelor's-level staff who work directly with clients on the floor in a non-clinical capacity, with an hourly salary around $12-16/hour. In a clinical position at the master's-level it is going to vary considerably by where you are looking for work. I'd say you can expect your starting wage right out of college to be around the mid-40s and up, which should increase considerably once you're licensed and gain more expertise.