Resident rooms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

res1cue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we have an EM resident room, and the way it used to be was a small room with 6 computers and a mini fridge and a coat rack. Mostly people would stick their bikes in there and occasionally use it to catch up on charting.

Recently we are trying to overhaul it. Took out 3 computers and added a couch. Also we added a small TV.

If you guys have/had resident rooms, what did you have that made it more comfortable/useful, and made it better for wellness? Or alternatively what would you wish it had? Looking for ideas on how to improve it while resident leadership is willing to spend a little money on it

Members don't see this ad.

Um, is this for people who are on call and hanging out?
TV, video game console, recliners.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah pretty much, or a place to finish charts before you get gome so you arent interrupted a thousand times by nurses

Man, you guys sound spoiled. So let me get this straight, you've got 6 computers, a coat rack, tv, couch, a mini fridge and you're looking for ways to make it COMFORTABLE?

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah pretty much, or a place to finish charts before you get gome so you arent interrupted a thousand times by nurses
Yeah, chart at home. Or do it while working. But sticking around after your shift to finish charts in a special room is one of the circles of hell.

Reactions: 4 users
Man, you guys sound spoiled. So let me get this straight, you've got 6 computers, a coat rack, tv, couch, a mini fridge and you're looking for ways to make it COMFORTABLE?

Theres no microwave. Thats a basic. Also where are the yoga mats?

Reactions: 2 users
If people need to put their bikes on there, maybe a few wall mounts for bikes would be useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, chart at home. Or do it while working. But sticking around after your shift to finish charts in a special room is one of the circles of hell.

Personally I'm faster in the hellish little room than I am at home. Work at work, home at home, yada yada yada

We have no resident room, we get a glorified closet.

There's not even enough room in there for everyone to have a hanger hook, so the interns have to put their stuff in another area.

Our residents have 6 desktop computers, additional laptops, a big flat screen, small conference table, lockers, sofas, mailboxes, some office supplies, video game system, fridge, microwave (I think), small library, artwork, photos of residency classes, and a fax machine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I usually go to my resident lounge for food. Our resident room has stocked fridge with soda/juices, sandwiches, hummus, etc, and a pantry for fruits and snack items.

Lots of good advice.

Do not bring a black light near the couch though.