residency timeline question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas1496

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker here and finally decided that I need some help from SDN. I wish to pursue a career in neurology but I have a couple questions in regard to timeline.

I scored a 220 on step 1 and passed my PE exam. I've done well on all core rotations and shelf exams with A's and B's in my pre-clinical classes. I hope to go to a residency in the southeast if at all possible.

Due to scheduling by my school, I have had multiple core rotations in a row leading up to this summer with little time to study for step 2. I am on my last core of 3rd year and will be taking a month off to study for step 2 over the course of July.

My most recent practice test came out to be a 204 which is less than desired. I was hoping to score a 220+ but that doesn't seem doable with the limited time I have remaining.

My questions are:

1. Do I take both USMLE and COMLEX or just fly solo with COMLEX?

2. Should I take my exams in mid-July as I have them scheduled (with 3 weeks of dedicated time) or push them back to mid/late August and risk not having them on the 15 of Sept.?

I'm getting a bit nervous with all of these deadlines coming up and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd like to know the answers too.

Will not having a step2 score impedes one's ability to get interviews from mid tier programs (step1, COMLEX level 1 &2 are all good)?

I want to know too. USMLE Step 1: 239/ COMLEX Level 1: 601. I will probably take Step 2.