Residency Interview Presentation Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merrem_Covers_Sinusitis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or tips regarding presentations for PGY-1 interviews? Specifically an interview where the content can be "whatever you feel is appropriate" (including Patient Case Presentations and Journal Clubs).

In your experience, what have more successful interviewers done during their presentations to set them apart? Seems like I could do a presentation on a number of things but I'm not sure what might be optimal for this situation.

Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated :).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all! I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or tips regarding presentations for PGY-1 interviews? Specifically an interview where the content can be "whatever you feel is appropriate" (including Patient Case Presentations and Journal Clubs).

In your experience, what have more successful interviewers done during their presentations to set them apart? Seems like I could do a presentation on a number of things but I'm not sure what might be optimal for this situation.

Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated :).[/QUOTe

Hey,

Did you get any help from someone regarding the interview presentation? I have been thinking about the same thing and I am wondering if the presentation topic has to be a case study or it could be something else like a more general topic on trends of medication use as an example....??

I could be wrong about the best approach, but I think it's best to do a presentation on something basic.

I took the opposite approach during my interviews. I used a 3 month old but updated presentation for a few of my interviews. It was something that I worked really hard on. It pulled in a lot of primary literature. I had also reached out to the drug manufacturer for data on file to fill in some of the blanks that existed in primary literature. It was something I did on an APPE rotation, so I had the opportunity to incorporate feedback from experts on the topic. The presentation did not go over well. I even got the feedback at a later interview that the topic wasn't something that the interviewer was familiar with. I didn't match with a residency program (although there are likely several reasons for that).

The goal of a residency presentation is not to teach the interviewers something. You don't need to do something flashy or cutting edge. Picking something like that may even work against you. Pick an everyday hospital topic that everyone is familiar with, and do a good job presenting on that topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong about the best approach, but I think it's best to do a presentation on something basic.

I took the opposite approach during my interviews. I used a 3 month old but updated presentation for a few of my interviews. It was something that I worked really hard on. It pulled in a lot of primary literature. I had also reached out to the drug manufacturer for data on file to fill in some of the blanks that existed in primary literature. It was something I did on an APPE rotation, so I had the opportunity to incorporate feedback from experts on the topic. The presentation did not go over well. I even got the feedback at a later interview that the topic wasn't something that the interviewer was familiar with. I didn't match with a residency program (although there are likely several reasons for that).

The goal of a residency presentation is not to teach the interviewers something. You don't need to do something flashy or cutting edge. Picking something like that may even work against you. Pick an everyday hospital topic that everyone is familiar with, and do a good job presenting on that topic.

I have never thought of a unique topic hurting you, but that's very interesting. Kinda bouncing off this - I think they'd prefer to have something they know about so that they can ask you questions about it. At one interview I gave a presentation and didn't get any questions because they were not super familiar with the topic (which surprised me honestly). Answering questions is also a great time to show what you know or how you think on the spot.

Also different interviews may request different presentations. Ideally you can adapt one to suit many, but that may not be the case. I had a few presentations on "clinical pearls," a case/intervention I had made, and even one about myself. so it can be a bit of a mixed bag, but I wouldn't stress too much about it. Just use it to show your knowledge and personality.

Good luck!

I think it is fine to choose a unique topic so long as you explain it in a way the interviewers in the room can understand. Bringing a topic about value based contracting to an ID pharmacist probably is not smart. A critical care topic in a room full of ambulatory pharmacists would also probably not be smart. You never know though. You can sometimes ask the RPD if a topic is appropriate. Hot topics are great if they apply to the program you are applying for.

For example there is a lot of talk about Shingrix, the new zoster vaccine. You could do a presentation on the clinicals of that approving trials. Journal clubs are "easier" presentation because it is very easy to ask questions about trials. Most pharmacists are familiar with that. You could also expand that kind of presentation into a broader presentation about vaccinations in general. To my first point though - I doubt the ICU pharmacists are going to be looking deeply into Shingrix in a crit care setting. Again, can't say for sure they are not but I would not pick Shingrix as my first topic of choice.

Overall, I would aim to be more specific rather than more broad. Show off some presentation and lit review skills. Demonstrate that you are up to date and aware of big changes taking place in the area(s) you are interested in.

Reactions: 1 user