residency for FMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heavyhitter27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just recently got my step 1 score back and did not do as well as i wanted to. I got 217/90. I attend a Caribbean school. I have 3.0+ GPA but i think i am an average student. I am really interested in anesthesiology. I don't care where i match as long as i match. I am willing to go to South Dakota if need be. I know i will apply widely and early. I have not started rotations yet but i am looking to work hard and pay my dues. Please give me some advice to improve my chances on matching and make me a better applicant. Any help would be appreciated! BTW, if u have nothing constructive to say, dont post. thank you.

To those that were in similar situation b4, your guidance would much be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

take step two early and rock it. bust your rear on your away rotations. talk to some of the people from your school that just matched and are graduating that are going into anesthesiology. do as many aways at you can at places that have signed people from your school in the past. best of luck

anybody would like to help????????????? i just want to know if i am wasting my time with my mediocre step 1 score and coming from an offshore school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will tell you what you want to hear. Your step 1 is mediocre and your school even puts you behind further. I interviewed with some carib students all step 1 in 230's. Gas is competitive bust ur *** and pray and have a backup plan.

I will tell you what you want to hear. Your step 1 is mediocre and your school even puts you behind further. I interviewed with some carib students all step 1 in 230's. Gas is competitive bust ur *** and pray and have a backup plan.

Depends on the program. You could be God and some programs would much rather take a mediocre, ******ed US student than a well qualified and eloquent carib grad. Some other programs don't discriminate and will give you a fair shot. Your Step 1 is not mediocre or poor and in fact, is fairly competitive. Crank out another 90+ on Step 2, apply early and wide, and you'll be gold.

Hey, I am an img who succesfully matched in anesthesia... Being a student from a Carib med school is usefull since you will have 2 years of usce since you will be doing your clinical rotations in the US. It would be better if you could be ECFMG certified by the beginning of Sept. Try to score >230 in step 2 ck, rock on your rotations, and try to make as many contacts as you can..
You can go to prep4usmle forums and check a couple of threads in the match anesthesia section, there are a couple of imgs who have succesfully matched..

GL in your quest

Hey, I am an img who succesfully matched in anesthesia... Being a student from a Carib med school is usefull since you will have 2 years of usce since you will be doing your clinical rotations in the US. It would be better if you could be ECFMG certified by the beginning of Sept. Try to score >230 in step 2 ck, rock on your rotations, and try to make as many contacts as you can..
You can go to prep4usmle forums and check a couple of threads in the match anesthesia section, there are a couple of imgs who have succesfully matched..

GL in your quest

You always want to try to do well on your USMLEs as a FMG. I would say average over a 90 and you are ok.
As for the ECFMG certificate, its not a big deal if you are US citizen and carib grad. I won't get mine until middle of June.

As for the ECFMG certificate, its not a big deal if you are US citizen and carib grad. I won't get mine until middle of June.

I thougth ECFMG certificate was a MUST for entering the match (of course there is a deadline for this), otherwise your application will be withdrawn of the match. I am not sure whether US imgs or carib med students are excempt of this rule. But, as an img I can tell you that it is BETTER to be certified by the time when the whole application process start. This last tip is not a must, but some programs will not consider your application without ecfmg certification.
I am a non carib/non us img who needs visa, usmles above the 240s applied to 70 anesthesia programs and was invited only by 5.. go figure...

BTW I saw carib med students getting more ivs than imgs from non carib med schools..

GL

I thougth ECFMG certificate was a MUST for entering the match (of course there is a deadline for this), otherwise your application will be withdrawn of the match. I am not sure whether US imgs or carib med students are excempt of this rule. But, as an img I can tell you that it is BETTER to be certified by the time when the whole application process start. This last tip is not a must, but some programs will not consider your application without ecfmg certification.
I am a non carib/non us img who needs visa, usmles above the 240s applied to 70 anesthesia programs and was invited only by 5.. go figure...

BTW I saw carib med students getting more ivs than imgs from non carib med schools..

GL

Yeah, I don't think it applies for carib grads who are US citizens. Good luck anyways.

thank you for your encouraging advices. I have a lot to improve but i know i can do it. :)

this year on the interview trail the only places i ran into imgs were: VCU, CCF, and miami -- apply lots of places but make sure these are on your list.

Our specialty is on the ropes....losing turf to non-physicians....reimbursements being reduced...etc. etc. etc...

WHY IN THE FU CKING WORLD ARE YOU PEOPLE ENCOURAGING ANY APPLICANT WHO IS ANYTHING BUT STELLAR?

mil, i hear you... but...
average grades and board scores don't necessarily mean an average anesthesiologist. one of the chief residents i worked with as a med student on an away rotation was AWESOME -- an outstanding clinical anesthesiologist... he told me on my interview that if he applied to his program today there was no way he would even get an interview. its about the total package...

that said, if you guys were content to skate by thus far you should realize that coming to anesthesiology is time to step it up to the A game as the resposibility is huge.
just mho.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what are we to do? Throw out the bar (one that should be set high) so that JUST IN CASE there is an "outstanding clinical anesthesiologist" at the bottom of the barrel????

Sounds like everyone on this board feels that way....well...go ahead and lead my specialty on a path to destruction...hopefully after I retire.

I watched a piece on the Israeli Air Force on 60 minutes a couple of weeks ago....because of its importance to Israel, they get dibs on all recruits..they have mandatory service.

If you score high...you go into the IAF to become a pilot....doesn't matter what you want to do.....If you score low....you DON'T get into the IAF...doesn't matter what you want.

There's no way our specialty can have dibs on applicants, but WE SHOULD NOT BE encouraging NON-STELLAR applicants to apply.....

and once you're in, and you're struggling....SHOW THEM the F UCKING DOOR and slam their a sses with the door knob on their way out.

Or you guys do what you want...and have a bunch of anesthesiologists that can easily be replaced by CRNA's and AA's.

mil, i hear you... but...
average grades and board scores don't necessarily mean an average anesthesiologist. one of the chief residents i worked with as a med student on an away rotation was AWESOME -- an outstanding clinical anesthesiologist... he told me on my interview that if he applied to his program today there was no way he would even get an interview. its about the total package...

that said, if you guys were content to skate by thus far you should realize that coming to anesthesiology is time to step it up to the A game as the resposibility is huge.
just mho.

So what are we to do? Throw out the bar (one that should be set high) so that JUST IN CASE there is an "outstanding clinical anesthesiologist" at the bottom of the barrel????

Sounds like everyone on this board feels that way....well...go ahead and lead my specialty on a path to destruction...hopefully after I retire.

I watched a piece on the Israeli Air Force on 60 minutes a couple of weeks ago....because of its importance to Israel, they get dibs on all recruits..they have mandatory service.

If you score high...you go into the IAF to become a pilot....doesn't matter what you want to do.....If you score low....you DON'T get into the IAF...doesn't matter what you want.

There's no way our specialty can have dibs on applicants, but WE SHOULD NOT BE encouraging NON-STELLAR applicants to apply.....

and once you're in, and you're struggling....SHOW THEM the F UCKING DOOR and slam their a sses with the door knob on their way out.

Or you guys do what you want...and have a bunch of anesthesiologists that can easily be replaced by CRNA's and AA's.

I think the best we can do is to sell every medical student on what a wonderful career anesthesia can be. Increase apps as much as possible. If FMGs don't get interviews, then so be it. Let the PDs sort out who the stellar applicants are, not a handful of blinded residents on an internet forum.

Last time our specialty was in trouble, it was precisely because there was no interest in the specialty. The FMG/IMGs flooded the programs.

How many of the top 10% of your medical school would have made outstanding anesthesiologists? my guess is not many. I think that is has been proven that USMLE scores correlate poorly with resident performance. I'm not saying that non-stellar applicants are better but there's more to being an anesthesiologist than a high board score...

How many of the top 10% of your medical school would have made outstanding anesthesiologists? my guess is not many. I think that is has been proven that USMLE scores correlate poorly with resident performance. I'm not saying that non-stellar applicants are better but there's more to being an anesthesiologist than a high board score...

That is FREQUENTLY said about EVERY SINGLE specialty....usually by poor applicants.

AND if it were true, then WHY *******ing bother with the tests....just hold hands and sing a fuc king song...and let everyone in.

I hate these SUPPORT GROUP type threads....that start "I'm a loser, can I still be an anesthesiologist?"

followed by....."yes you can...good luck" ..."apply everywhere".....blah ..blah...blah...

I'll be the first to say....give it up...don't bother....I don't want you to be a potential partner/colleague.

hahahha ******* you militarymd. You dont know me and you judged me? thank you for ur honest opinion thou. Go blow your 290/99 colleague you piece of ****.

Like it or not, we're all here for support. Whether it's getting into med school, doing well on rotations, applying/interviewing/matching for residency, surviving in residency, passing ABA, getting a job, or whatever. These threads may be tedious, and the information is at your fingertips with a search. But I don't see the point in harassing someone who is looking for a little support here.

I also think NO ONE in this forum should dissuade any applicant away from anesthesia. I see no problem in having adequate competition for anesthesia spots. If you want to kindly remind someone their chances are slim, then that's great. Remind them to have a backup plan. Whatever. But I believe we should allow the program directors to determine which candidates are best suited for anesthesiology. If any PD is a member and willing to identify themselves, then feel free to tell applicants they have no business applying to your program, because they won't have a shot. Otherwise, it is presumptuous for the average member here to tell someone to give up their dream.

If you've seen enough of my posts, you should know I am a sub-par candidate by scores and grades. I'm not talking 213. Seriously sub-par. So far below the average, an advisor told me I should have a backup plan for my backup plan, as in I might not even match IM categorical, I should also apply FP. Thank god I didn't listen too closely, or else I would have been discouraged from applying. In two months, I'll be turning dials like anyone else in this forum.

If any of you care to blackball my name now, and vow to never let Bertelman join your practice because he didn't buy into USMLE scores and med school grades as the determinant of a physician's skills, then great. I don't care. I know myself, and I know I'll be a rock star some day soon. I'll get a great job with or without SDN.

To end my rant, I'd just like to say I am unnerved by the amount of arguing amongst ourselves. It seems like we have done a good job of clearing CRNA trolls, but now the arguments are directed at each other.

Read my posts....never addressed the person who insulted me....

and goody for you...someone left a door open for you....

You haven't even started yet...what makes you think you're gonna to be a "rock star"......THAT'S being presumptious.

If someone needs a support group ....join a support group....cry to your mama....or see a counselor....

I used to be a Navy Education Director....not REAL academics, but close enough....

Everyone LOVES exceptions....but you can't make good policy with exceptions.

Like it or not, we're all here for support. Whether it's getting into med school, doing well on rotations, applying/interviewing/matching for residency, surviving in residency, passing ABA, getting a job, or whatever. These threads may be tedious, and the information is at your fingertips with a search. But I don't see the point in harassing someone who is looking for a little support here.

I also think NO ONE in this forum should dissuade any applicant away from anesthesia. I see no problem in having adequate competition for anesthesia spots. If you want to kindly remind someone their chances are slim, then that's great. Remind them to have a backup plan. Whatever. But I believe we should allow the program directors to determine which candidates are best suited for anesthesiology. If any PD is a member and willing to identify themselves, then feel free to tell applicants they have no business applying to your program, because they won't have a shot. Otherwise, it is presumptuous for the average member here to tell someone to give up their dream.

If you've seen enough of my posts, you should know I am a sub-par candidate by scores and grades. I'm not talking 213. Seriously sub-par. So far below the average, an advisor told me I should have a backup plan for my backup plan, as in I might not even match IM categorical, I should also apply FP. Thank god I didn't listen too closely, or else I would have been discouraged from applying. In two months, I'll be turning dials like anyone else in this forum.

If any of you care to blackball my name now, and vow to never let Bertelman join your practice because he didn't buy into USMLE scores and med school grades as the determinant of a physician's skills, then great. I don't care. I know myself, and I know I'll be a rock star some day soon. I'll get a great job with or without SDN.

To end my rant, I'd just like to say I am unnerved by the amount of arguing amongst ourselves. It seems like we have done a good job of clearing CRNA trolls, but now the arguments are directed at each other.

hahahha ******* you militarymd. You dont know me and you judged me? thank you for ur honest opinion thou. Go blow your 290/99 colleague you piece of ****.

Mil gave you his opinion. You really shouldn't accept the opinions that say you have hope while telling the rest to F off.

Can you get an anesthesia spot? The odds are against you pretty heavily, so the blunt answer is... not likely. Does that mean you absolutely can't? No. Bust your *** man and give it everything you have. It's better than just giving up and settling for the back up plan. If you have what it takes, you'll get that spot. That being said, make sure you have the backup plan.

Read my posts....never addressed the person who insulted me....

and goody for you...someone left a door open for you....

You haven't even started yet...what makes you think you're gonna to be a "rock star"......THAT'S being presumptious.

If someone needs a support group ....join a support group....cry to your mama....or see a counselor....

I used to be a Navy Education Director....not REAL academics, but close enough....

Everyone LOVES exceptions....but you can't make good policy with exceptions.

It's not presumption. It's my goal. If you think you know enough about me to say otherwise, then I'd like to hear it.

I'm really not understanding the hate here.

It's not presumption. It's my goal. If you think you know enough about me to say otherwise, then I'd like to hear it.

I'm really not understanding the hate here.

we're getting off track here, but most of these threads do...so what the hell?

The only thing I know about you is what you told us.

However, having been involved in training 30 residents over 5 classes...and having recruited and fired a number of different anesthesiologists with different back grounds.....I am familiar with the stuff that makes "rock stars".....or more likely I know commonalities of those who suck.

I think it is PRESUMPTIOUS to assume that anyone will become a "rock star" when one hasn't even started yet.

having a goal is one thing.......it's like saying that I'm going to be the next Valentino Rossi....but saying that you WILL BE....those are your words...that's presumptious.

No hate....I'm simply voicing a point of view.

However, having been involved in training 30 residents over 5 classes...and having recruited and fired a number of different anesthesiologists with different back grounds.....I am familiar with the stuff that makes "rock stars".....or more likely I know commonalities of those who suck.

I think it is PRESUMPTIOUS to assume that anyone will become a "rock star" when one hasn't even started yet.

That you can see common traits of poor clinicians is fine. Hindsight is 20-20. I just don't believe you can extract someone's future with absolute certainty based on a GPA, board score and school location. The number of FMGs accepted to anesthesia every year is small, but it's significant. I don't think any of us here have the expertise to predict which ones will be good, contributing clinicians. So I think we should avoid those predictions.

didn't know this thread was gonna be a pissing contest...

To milmd, i appreciate for your opinion but what u said will not make me want to be an anesthesiologist less or more. In fact i don't give a ******* what u think. I simply wanted an opinion from ppl that have gone thru the process. oh yea, i don't care u if trained 50 residents or whatever, nobody cares u pompous prick.

hey ...slacker....

I have yet to say ANYTHING to you....and this is your second thread calling me names....

FU CK you.....I hope you never get into anesthesia........

I'm tired of losers like you screwing up my profession.

didn't know this thread was gonna be a pissing contest...

To milmd, i appreciate for your opinion but what u said will not make me want to be an anesthesiologist less or more. In fact i don't give a ******* what u think. I simply wanted an opinion from ppl that have gone thru the process. oh yea, i don't care u if trained 50 residents or whatever, nobody cares u pompous prick.

AND if it were true, then WHY *******ing bother with the tests....just hold hands and sing a fuc king song...and let everyone in.

That's not what i said i'm talking about a whole package of which scores are a part. When you hire a partner do you look at their USMLE scores?

Just curious (and would like to send this thread in a new direction :))
-- I would like to hear your list of commonalities of those who suck....
...and what makes a rock star...

Just curious (and would like to send this thread in a new direction :))
-- I would like to hear your list of commonalities of those who suck....
...and what makes a rock star...

Do you REALLY want to go there? It is SOOOO politically not correct that It will probably get me banned......even though it's just the truth.

if the mods want to move it to the private forum okay by me...
but, yes, i really do want to know... i am about to start residency...

Wow, that's rather weak; it's no fun being PC, Militaryman. Hold on... don't post it until I get my Big Girl Panties on... Regards, ----Zip

Wow, that's rather weak; it's no fun being PC, Militaryman. Hold on... don't post it until I get my Big Girl Panties on... Regards, ----Zip

:laugh::laugh:

I would love to see mil let it fly, no-holds barred, on the private forum regarding this topic. Nobody will ban him for anything said there..

Let 'er rip!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=jEueMbpwBhA&rel=1&eurl=&iurl=http%3A//i.ytimg.com/vi/jEueMbpwBhA/default.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskKI7b1yK8gwdB_fJjj0EahL[/youtube]