Residency and mental health issues

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted for a member

"I am a resident in good standing at the moment but am struggling immensely with some mental health issues. My home life and work life are suffering tremendously. I am getting professional help but am not improving much as work duties just don't leave much time for meetings. These issues are partly due to the fact that I am quite sure I chose the wrong specialty but there are some other deep issues that I am trying to work through as well. I could try to jump ship to another specialty asap (have one or two in mind) and hope that I make a good decision, but I'm really nervous about this as I'm just not confident at all in my decision making right now. The other option would be to talk to my PD (very supportive) and take a leave (medical?) to seriously and intensively work through my mental health issues so I can be healthy and think more clearly. I'm obviously really concerned about my future medical career if I take a leave of absence - how will this affect my chances at matching again if I do decide to change fields? Does anyone have any experience or advice on this issue? Thank you."

Members don't see this ad.

There aren't any easy answers here, which I'm sure you know.

The prime question to assess is whether your mental health / personal issues are affecting your work performance. From your question, you suggest that you feel that you are not performing well -- but the question is whether program leaders and your supervisors have the same opinion. Sometimes, mental health issues make you feel like you're not doing well, when in fact you actually are.

If your performance has truly deteriorated, then you really have no choice. You need to take a leave of absence and get this straightened out. If you don't and your performance continues to deteriorate, you may find yourself in a remediation plan, on probation, or not renewed at all. Waiting until this happens to take a leave of absence is a mistake, since it ends up on your record permanently. You mentioned that your PD is supportive -- you should go talk to them and be honest about your issues.

If you discover that your performance is fine, and that it's only your own self-perception of poor performance, then you have a choice. You can take a leave and address your issues, or continue to push through. Only you can really assess which is the better option.

Will taking an LOA affect your future career? Perhaps. You will have the choice of simply stating that you needed a medical LOA and leave the details out. Theoretically, employers should not use this against you. Realistically, some may. Any employer that's hired someone with a vague LOA in the past, started working for 1-2 months, then goes out on long term medical disability (which results in the employer having to continue their salary / higher disability insurance premiums, cover all of their work, and can't refill the position) may be gunshy.

Regardless, I think you need to do what's right for you. Remember that if you stick it out but become so ill that you fail out of your residency program, then for certain you'll have trouble in the future. An LOA is always a better option than probation.