Research years during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grimes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to start my intern year in general surgery next month. I am interested in academic surgery and have known for some time that I'd like to do 2 years of research either after my PGY 2 or PGY3 year. My program does have their own research facility that a lot of residents in my program end up doing their research years at, but I am interested in possibly doing research at other universities (Nothing against my own program, just want to meet and work with as many people in the field I'm interested in as possible).

My question is: How does this happen? When do I have to start actively looking for research fellowships/opportunities? Is there a database somewhere where open positions are posted? What does the application process typically require (med school transcripts, Step scores, LORs, etc.)? I know I have quite some time before I have to start worrying about this but research is important to me and I honestly have no clue as to how this process works.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's actually not too early to start thinking about this. The earlier you start looking, the more likely you are to have something work out.

Your first step should be to confirm with your own program that they will allow you to leave for a research opportunity. Start by asking the residents whether anyone has done it recently, and then approach your PD in the first few months. While your PD may not prohibit it, they can make it difficult by saying that of you leave they might not be able to guarantee you'll have a spot to come back in. You'll also need to figure out the financial ramifications. My program covers the salary for residents completing research within our program (regardless of grant support) but does not do so for people who might go outside.

One way to find spots would be to go on NIH Reporter and search for institutions with T32s run by surgeons. May take some hunting, but you should be able to figure it out. While there are certainly.opportunities outside of this, a surgery program with a T32 is likely to have a formalized research experience and is used to having residents. This is important since it means you are more likely to have a productive experience. The next step would be to contact the PIs on those grants and see if they take outside applicants. When you do this, it's going to be best not to simply say "I'm looking for a spot." You should have an idea of whom you might like to work and why.

The last step would be to look for PIs to work with and contact them directly. While you can look through program websirltes to get info on PIs, I think a better way is to look through programs from some recent meetings (ASC, SSO, SIS, Eastern/Western Trauma, AAST, AHPBA, APSA) in the area you're interested and see what people are working on. A lot of people's web profiles will say they're doing research, you want someone who has people presenting at meetings and publishing a lot within the past few years.

Reactions: 3 users
It's actually not too early to start thinking about this. The earlier you start looking, the more likely you are to have something work out.

Your first step should be to confirm with your own program that they will allow you to leave for a research opportunity. Start by asking the residents whether anyone has done it recently, and then approach your PD in the first few months. While your PD may not prohibit it, they can make it difficult by saying that of you leave they might not be able to guarantee you'll have a spot to come back in. You'll also need to figure out the financial ramifications. My program covers the salary for residents completing research within our program (regardless of grant support) but does not do so for people who might go outside.

One way to find spots would be to go on NIH Reporter and search for institutions with T32s run by surgeons. May take some hunting, but you should be able to figure it out. While there are certainly.opportunities outside of this, a surgery program with a T32 is likely to have a formalized research experience and is used to having residents. This is important since it means you are more likely to have a productive experience. The next step would be to contact the PIs on those grants and see if they take outside applicants. When you do this, it's going to be best not to simply say "I'm looking for a spot." You should have an idea of whom you might like to work and why.

The last step would be to look for PIs to work with and contact them directly. While you can look through program websirltes to get info on PIs, I think a better way is to look through programs from some recent meetings (ASC, SSO, SIS, Eastern/Western Trauma, AAST, AHPBA, APSA) in the area you're interested and see what people are working on. A lot of people's web profiles will say they're doing research, you want someone who has people presenting at meetings and publishing a lot within the past few years.

Thanks! This is really super helpful. Its good to know that I should start looking early.

Luckily I already know that my program allows residents to leave for research, but I haven't had the chance to speak to any of the residents about it yet. My PD also seemed supportive of the idea when I brought it up on interview day, his only condition being that he would want it to be basic science research and not clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the timeline for contacting the outside PI? During intern year for after PGY2?

That's pretty obnoxiously short-sighted

And a sentiment that is (in my experience) not uncommon. The rapid expansion of HSR and education research on surgery has not exactly been well received by some of the old guard who are more likely to view it as a "hobby" you should do in between Western blots. Even at places that have seemingly embraced it, it can sometimes be a more grudging acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user