Research v. Scribing in Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zach2468

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will begin my gap year prior to applying to medical school soon and am curious about whether I should pursue scribing or performing research. I would like to stick to only one since studying for the MCAT is a top priority. I have over 100 shadowing hours and really loved doing that, so scribing seems like something I would really enjoy. In terms of research, I did a year and a half of non-medically related chemistry research before deciding not to continue. I was somewhat bored and did not enjoy it in the same way I enjoyed shadowing. I obviously conducted experiments during this time but did not publish, and I am not sure how strong the LOR would be (how much of an issue would this be?). Is this research experience sufficient? Would it be better for me to scribe and continue to gain clinical experience or do some more research oriented instead? Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

If your only clinical exposure consists of shadowing ---> scribe for sure

Strictly for admissions purposes to basic MD programs, i'd say scribe. A year is more than enough if you're not hunting for MD/PhD programs. It also pays (albeit terribly), while for research jobs you'd have to have a little bit better of a foundation to get hired for even tech jobs.

The clinical exposure with scribing is probably the best you can [legally] get in the US with just a basic BS. As for LOR, you will likely get an even better LOR from physicians you scribe for as you're literally attached to their hip. At my location, we're so close to the physicians that we go out to get drinks with them, eat with them, share secrets, etc etc. It's quite a beautiful dynamic and you get really close with even some of the department/hospital directors.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At my location, we're so close to the physicians that we go out to get drinks with them, eat with them, share secrets, etc etc. It's quite a beautiful dynamic and you get really close with even some of the department/hospital directors.

How jealous. If my site had the same dynamic, I might stick around for longer.

How jealous. If my site had the same dynamic, I might stick around for longer.
If I didn't have this relationship with them I would have quit maybe after a year. But the physicians I work with all genuinely care about the scribes. Some of the scribes have even gone on vacations and parties with the doctors in groups, we're treated as equals.

Reactions: 1 user