Research & Pod Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DexterMorganSK

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an option of being part of a research lab, and I was wondering if it will be worth doing it for increasing my chances of landing a residency? I have an MPH as well.

Also, does it have to be in a specific area (like wound care or diabetes) or something in biochem or cell bio is also sufficient?

Thank you

PS: I did search for old threads regarding the topic, but they were out of context to my Ques.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It won't help you land a residency. Kicking butt during your externship, being likable and doing well at interviews Is what gets you a residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So, your research work at Scholl didn't help with the residency at all? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it will help you get a residency that does a lot of research...only if you have the attributes ankle breaker talks about above. You can have a PhD and have found the cure to cancer, but if you're not likable, hard worker, etc, you won't get a good residency program.

Reactions: 1 users
Grades are the single most important thing to getting your foot into interviews/externships. Then it's about how well you are liked and how you do on externships/interviews. Research would only marginally help you at getting a program.

Reactions: 1 user
For a residency application, research can be more like the icing on the cake ... maybe the garnish. Your performance during your externship month is #1 followed by GPA/passed boards on first attempt/etc.