Research-heavy school list please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nattmelson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*3.44 cumulative GPA
*3.30 Science GPA
*22AA
*23PAT
~100 hours shadowing
~100 hours volunteering
~400 hours research freshman to Senior year in a Neuroscience lab
*Honors College student (IDK how relevant this is?)
*Strong PS

I have:

-Temple
-NYU
-UCSF
-UW (I'm a Washington resident)
-Columbia (???)
-USC
-Marquette
-Tufts
-UCLA (???)
-OHSU (???)
- UNLV
-Midwestern
-Arizona
-Michigan
-UoP (???)

Im a little worried my list is too top-heavy. The schools I have (???) are the schools im a little more iffy about, although any thoughts/comments would be amazing! Thanks you guys!

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
*3.44 cumulative GPA
*3.30 Science GPA
*22AA
*23PAT
~100 hours shadowing
~100 hours volunteering
*Strong PS

I have:

-Temple
-NYU
-UCSF
-Columbia (???)
-USC
-Marquette
-Tufts
-UCLA (???)
-OHSU (???)
- UNLV
-Midwestern
-Arizona
-Michigan
-UoP (???)

Im a little worried my list is too top-heavy. The schools I have (???) are the schools im a little more iffy about, although any thoughts/comments would be amazing! Thanks you guys!

Remove all of the clinically based schools (UOP for example) if you wanna go to a research heavy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools that have funded DDS/PhD programs typically have the most research opportunities.. Also add Florida, Minnesota and OSU to the list.

Reactions: 1 user
As a follow-up, I would recommend looking into UW's DDS/PhD program. I know they accept pretty much no OOS applicants..

Reactions: 2 users
-Temple
-NYU
-UCSF
-Columbia (???)
-USC
-Marquette
-Tufts
-UCLA (???)
-OHSU (???)
- UNLV
-Midwestern
-Arizona
-Michigan
-UoP (???)

Remove Marquette, UNLV, Midwestern, UOP. Those are def not research heavy schools.

*3.44 cumulative GPA
*3.30 Science GPA
*22AA
*23PAT
~100 hours shadowing
~100 hours volunteering
*Strong PS

I have:

-Temple
-NYU
-UCSF
-Columbia (???)
-USC
-Marquette
-Tufts
-UCLA (???)
-OHSU (???)
- UNLV
-Midwestern
-Arizona
-Michigan
-UoP (???)

Remove Temple, USC, Marquette, Tufts, UNLV, Midwest, Arizona, and UoP.

Here is more objective data. Combine Harvard and Forsyth

NIDCR Grants to U.S. Dental Institutions, FY 2016

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My gpa is too low for Harvard... Isn't it? And I need calc II if I remember correctly

I suggest doing SMP if you want top tier research schools that have full-ride dds/phd programs. UCLA, UCSF, UM, UF, UNC, and Penn are all top research schools and you need higher GPA. (3.7+)

However, you can also get into top-tier phd programs if you do research at NIH at this time.

*3.44 cumulative GPA
*3.30 Science GPA
*22AA
*23PAT
~100 hours shadowing
~100 hours volunteering
*Strong PS

I have:

-Temple
-NYU
-UCSF
-Columbia (???)
-USC
-Marquette
-Tufts
-UCLA (???)
-OHSU (???)
- UNLV
-Midwestern
-Arizona
-Michigan
-UoP (???)

Columbia no doubt about it.
- we have some rly good dental researchers in the hard sciences
- we are about to be one of the leaders in personalized dentistry (precision medicine) with the opening of our new clinic in the fall
- if you like public health research, we have probably the top oral public health dept in the country
- numerous opportunities to do research in other schools (im currently doing brain research in dept of cell bio and pathology in the med school)

UCLA and UCSF for sure!

USC is also has good research options! They have a research opportunity for D1s before school starts too

Curious, is Case Western considered clinic heavy or research heavy? Thank you in advance! =)

Remove Marquette, UNLV, Midwestern, UOP. Those are def not research heavy schools.
I might keep a couple of those schools as back ups. The research heavy schools also turn out to be the most competitive schools to get into, so it's always good to have a few schools to fall back on.

UW would be great for you. They are ranked #3 in the world for research (for the subject specific ranking)
ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2017 - Dentistry & Oral Sciences | Shanghai Ranking - 2017
As in state you have a good chance in getting in.
Summer between first-second year you can do a research project. You can try and get into the DDS/PhD program as well. We have 2 awesome classmates in this program.

Wow. This is actually one of better rankings just like one from nidcr.

And yes UW is a great program. Only if they did not require GRE or i had a lot of time, i would have applied there. My sis also has 28 DAT and 3.95 GPA and many publications from NIH but may not be able to apply there bc of gre. :(

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am OOS, got into UW but denied them after finding about their funding for the duel program. I was inquiring about the dds/phd program and I came to the conclusion you would have to pay two years of dental school first, and IF you get admitted into the duel program (if they have room that year) they will start funding you but it's not guaranteed. I personally wouldn't want my loan to be sitting there for 7 years while I'm trying to finish both degrees-- major turnoff.

I am OOS, got into UW but denied them after finding about their funding for the duel program. I was inquiring about the dds/phd program and I came to the conclusion you would have to pay two years of dental school first, and IF you get admitted into the duel program (if they have room that year) they will start funding you but it's not guaranteed. I personally wouldn't want my loan to be sitting there for 7 years while I'm trying to finish both degrees-- major turnoff.
I know what you are talking about, on the other hand though, they allow you to practice one day a week I believe in private practice once you have your license to practice.