This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EngineerToPod

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been a long time lurker but I need a little help. Biomedical engineer here, working in a biomaterials lab that specializes in bioactive glass. I'm working on developing new bone cement or bioactive glass and I'm trying to gear it towards foot and ankle surgery application. I was wondering if you guys could link articles that illustrate problems that occur with bone regrowth after a fracture or fusion surgery. I'm having issues finding articles that would help me get started. I've been using PubMed as my search. I'm working with the podiatrist that I shadowed as well. I just really would like to have a paper to cite saying yes this is a problem. The doctor I'm working with thinks this is a good starting point.

Any direction is appreciated. Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

These cements are applied in a variety of situations each of which are studied distinct from one another. For example, Charcot, osteomyelitis, revision. What has your search consisted of so far?

Edit: Since I have nothing else to do on a Friday night I spent a good 30 minutes trying to look for something without luck. I was trying to find a bone cement review article related to the foot and ankle, closest thing would be bone substitutes such as demineralized allografts. Now that I think about it, I rarely use bone cements, mostly allograft or autografts. There are some case reports or series talking about use of bone cements in fixing ankle cysts after total ankle arthroplasty. May I ask.. why foot and ankle? Why not develop this for hip or knee joint replacements?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users