Research at home institution or at my medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vyzzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So I'm starting medical school this August away from the city I currently live in. I'm very excited and plan to continue my commitment to clinical research during my time there.

I currently do research at a Top 10 institution with a PI that's one of the biggest names in his specialty (and my specialty of choice). This institution is also where I'd love to do my residency and work in the further future (I've spent a lot of time here and can't think of being anywhere else).

My question is this. Our first summer break is pretty long. I can take a year lease, do research at my medical college (not really known too much for it's research) and continue that there over the summer or I can go back home and continue doing research with my current PI who is more than happy to have me help on the many projects he has going on.

The pros of the former I see as building a solid, long term foundation with my medical college while the pros of the latter is it's a sure thing in research in my field of choice, at a prestigious institution with a famous PI - however much shorter term.

I'm sure one of the main responses will be "can I get an authorship if I go back home and work at the prestigious institution" and I can only answer that with a "probably"

Any advice or any questions I should be asking myself please let me know!

Thanks <3

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Do research at the place where you'll be more likely to have something to show for it. Sounds like your home institution is a better bet for the time present. You'll have more opportunities down the line once you're in med school.