Reporting repeated rotations to Licensing Authority

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jericurls

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a quick question about reporting a repeated rotation to the licensing authority.

The licensing authority asks for whether I was ever put on remediation or probabtion.
Here`s my situation:
During my first rotation ever in residency (PGY1), I had a family emergency and I did not perform in a satisfactory manner (Not a failed rotation but a borderline grade). The PD knew what I was going through and offered me to take a personal leave of absence (2 months for me to return home). After I came back from the leave, I completed all my subsequent PGY1 successfully with good évaluations. I was asked to repeat that first rotation. I completed it with good evaluation.
There was a letter from the committee about having to repeat the one rotation and there was no mention of any remediation or probation. I wasn`t given any remediation course either.
Anyway, the rest of residency went smoothly and I have been receiving very positive évaluations across every subspecialty and department. I might even receive a job offer at the centre after my fellowship.

Now my question is about the licensing authority.
How would you report the repeat rotation? Would you consider it simply as a repeated rotation? Would I say Yes to remdiation? My Program Director told me not to because there wasn`t any formal remediation or probation. But what would the licensing authority view about the repeated rotation? I don`t want them to reject my licensing application simply based on the technicality. At the same time, putting yes to remediation really does not reflect my capacity as a resident physician.

Thank you guys!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I have a quick question about reporting a repeated rotation to the licensing authority.

The licensing authority asks for whether I was ever put on remediation or probabtion.
Here`s my situation:
During my first rotation ever in residency (PGY1), I had a family emergency and I did not perform in a satisfactory manner (Not a failed rotation but a borderline grade). The PD knew what I was going through and offered me to take a personal leave of absence (2 months for me to return home). After I came back from the leave, I completed all my subsequent PGY1 successfully with good évaluations. I was asked to repeat that first rotation. I completed it with good evaluation.
There was a letter from the committee about having to repeat the one rotation and there was no mention of any remediation or probation. I wasn`t given any remediation course either.
Anyway, the rest of residency went smoothly and I have been receiving very positive évaluations across every subspecialty and department. I might even receive a job offer at the centre after my fellowship.

Now my question is about the licensing authority.
How would you report the repeat rotation? Would you consider it simply as a repeated rotation? Would I say Yes to remdiation? My Program Director told me not to because there wasn`t any formal remediation or probation. But what would the licensing authority view about the repeated rotation? I don`t want them to reject my licensing application simply based on the technicality. At the same time, putting yes to remediation really does not reflect my capacity as a resident physician.

Thank you guys!!!!
If they ask about remediation and probation, and your PD says that there was no remediation or probation, why would you report it?

The licensing board will only see A) what you tell them and B) what your PD tells them. If the two match, you're in the clear.

Reactions: 4 users
If they ask about remediation and probation, and your PD says that there was no remediation or probation, why would you report it?

The licensing board will only see A) what you tell them and B) what your PD tells them. If the two match, you're in the clear.

Thank you. That`s what I thought.
Is that what they do with the program?
My fear is that they would look through my `transcript` Rather than basing it on the report from the program, they would determine that the repeated rotation is in fact a remediation?

Thank you. That`s what I thought.
Is that what they do with the program?
My fear is that they would look through my `transcript` Rather than basing it on the report from the program, they would determine that the repeated rotation is in fact a remediation?
There is no transcript. The only thing that they get is a form that gets filled out by the PD('s secretary).

Reactions: 1 users
Personal leaves of absence that are NOT accompanied by any form of "remediation" or "probation" are not an issue

if you are asked if you ever repeated any rotations or had any gaps in training, as a separate question in addition to questions about remediation or probation, that is where you would mention this

it's fine not to go out of your way to mention this, at the same time, if it comes up, it's fine, be matter of fact and be sure what you say always matches how you think your program will fill out something similar

did you graduate on time with the rest of your class?

That`s great to hear. Basically, I will just enter the information according to what my program says.
There is a field asking me about whether I needed extra time to finish residency and I filled in that section stating that I needed to take a leave of absence during PGY1 and that I completed all my subsequent residency rotations with satisfaction.

Thank you so much guys for the assurance!

Reactions: 1 user
There are informal remediations that are never reported to anyone. In my program, this means that someone is sitting down with the chiefs because they're at danger of failing, or maybe did fail, a rotation. We have lots of people who have gone through informal remediation. I had to change my schedule intern year because there was another intern who had to repeat a rotation. But, we have lots of rotations that are repeated (all interns repeat at least one inpatient team while they're here). I've done 'hospitalist' a total of 3.5 months during my residency, and I didn't have any sort of problems. One of my friends repeated Cardiology because that's what she wants to go into, so she did one rotation with us and one at an outside institution. Just repeating a rotation doesn't mean a thing.

Once you go through formal remediation, everyone gets involved--PD, APD, GME, everyone. You have specific milestones that you have to meet, and if you don't meet them, then you get put on probation. If you don't meet your milestones in probation, then you get kicked out of the program.

You did not have formal remediation. Your PD has specifically said this to you. You don't need to report anything to the licensing board.

Reactions: 1 users