REPAYE Enrollment fee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDoctorM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything about the REPAYE enrollment fee so I am starting a new thread. I apologize if this was answered before.

Basically, I have been receiving notices to apply to REPAYE for the last couple of months. Decided to finally give them a call. After speaking with them for 1+ hours, they told me my REPAYE enrollment fee was $1800 (!!!) but that they can waive it to $900.
This all sounded like some sort of scam... but they knew all of my personal information and total loans.. so it seemed pretty legit. So can anyone in the REPAYE program enlighten me on how you applied and if you were actually charged a certain percentage of your loans?

P.S. the person I spoke with provided me with a lot of inaccurate REPAYE information... such as subsidizing interest, repayment period, load forgiveness period... it made me worried that they knew about my personal loans..

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't find anything about the REPAYE enrollment fee so I am starting a new thread. I apologize if this was answered before.

Basically, I have been receiving notices to apply to REPAYE for the last couple of months. Decided to finally give them a call. After speaking with them for 1+ hours, they told me my REPAYE enrollment fee was $1800 (!!!) but that they can waive it to $900.
This all sounded like some sort of scam... but they knew all of my personal information and total loans.. so it seemed pretty legit. So can anyone in the REPAYE program enlighten me on how you applied and if you were actually charged a certain percentage of your loans?

P.S. the person I spoke with provided me with a lot of inaccurate REPAYE information... such as subsidizing interest, repayment period, load forgiveness period... it made me worried that they knew about my personal loans..

There is no such thing as a REPAYE enrollment fee. It's totally free, and you apply online--there's no need to talk to anyone on the phone. The only "fee" is your interest capitalizes upon starting repayment, but it does so for all payment plans.

Who did you call? And who is your loan servicer? Hopefully they're the same, but if so you may want to verify the phone numbers as well.

If you're still a medical student you shouldn't be getting any notices to apply for a repayment plan--you typically get get don't a notice until a few months after graduation.

I'm not sure how a loan servicer would know your title loans (I assume that's a car loan?). Sometimes they may use a database to confirm your identify (like when you check your credit report), but a big question you have to ask is if they actually knew your title lender, or did they ask you the question and you provided the answer? If it's the latter, and other things don't add up, they could have potentially been trying to steal your identity. When I applied for a consolidation loan I had to answer questions like that, and when I check my credit report they ask questions like that (ie. "our files state you took out a mortgage with one of the following companies in 2017, please select the correct option...")

This is a scam. Don't answer any future correspondence or calls from them. There are legitimate student loan consultants out there, but none of them should be charging you a "REPAYE enrollment fee." Call your loan servicer, probably Nelnet, Navient, My Great Lakes, or FedLoan Servicing, and do it for free.