Rematched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

throwaway3456

Reaction score
So I’m a categorical PGY-1 who recently reapplied through the match and matched into a different specialty without approval or a letter from my PD. I plan to finish out the year and then resign. I have not signed a contract for a PGY-2 year with my original program. I get I should of told my PD from the start I was not happy and wanted to switch specialties. I am having a meeting with my PD this week. I was just curious if there’s anything my PD could do to block me from going to my new program?

Members don't see this ad.

Theoretically, they can fire you. Or, they could give you an unsatisfactory assessment for the year. The former would leave you unemployed for the rest of the academic year. Both would leave you with problems if you needed PGY-1 credit. If you're starting as a PGY-1 again, then neither really matter -- although both would make all your licensing / credentialling applications in the future a real pain.

Realistically, neither of those is likely to happen.

I highly recommend letting them know now. If you wait and leave them short a PGY-2, that could easily be seen as "unprofessional" and result in a poor overall evaluation, which will haunt you forever. Chances are at this point they will be some combination of happy for you / disappointed you will not be staying / angry they need to fill a spot this late in the year. But all of that is going to get worse the longer you let this sit.

Reactions: 7 users
For anyone reading this years later… DONT DO THIS.

GET YOUR PD ON BOARD AS SOON AS POSSIBLE when you want to switch programs / transfer. There are lots of ways this can go wrong in the above situation. It’s a giant middle finger to your PD.

Reactions: 7 users
Some PDs are malignant enough not to support you.

Reactions: 1 users
So I’m a categorical PGY-1 who recently reapplied through the match and matched into a different specialty without approval or a letter from my PD. I plan to finish out the year and then resign. I have not signed a contract for a PGY-2 year with my original program. I get I should of told my PD from the start I was not happy and wanted to switch specialties. I am having a meeting with my PD this week. I was just curious if there’s anything my PD could do to block me from going to my new program?
Congrats! Out of curiosity, did the new residency that accepted you never asked about a letter from your current residency?

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.