Relearning Gen Chem, Organic Chem and Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lollygag

I'm a girl
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody! So I'm a non trad about 6 years removed from Gen Chem, Organic Chem and Physics. I have about 2 years left of a DIY post bacc so my original plan was to retake Gen Chem and Organic so that I could get a proper foundation of the subject as I barely remember anything from these classes. However, just found out my school has a policy where you're not allowed to retake classes you've already received a B or better in and transferring schools isn't a good option (for several reasons that I don't really feel like explaining, but will if anybody is really curious).

One option is that I am allowed to sit in on all the lectures I just wouldn't be actually registered for it or be allowed to participate in the lab component, another option is that I could just forget going to a lecture and re-teach myself all the material that way I could structure it so that its MCAT material focused but I've never been a "self-teaching" kinda person, and I'm not sure if this will go well.

Has anybody ever been in a similar situation and what did you do? If you re-taught yourself were there any resources you used? Are there any online lecturers that are thorough enough to replace actually taking the course?

Members don't see this ad.

What about taking a Coursera or EdX class? There are classes that are "live" where you can follow along with the class. That might give you support as someone who doesn't like to self-teach. They often have syllabi, recommended texts, recorded lectures, links to content.

Students don't get "real" university credit and that would be good for you (since you don't need the class on your transcript) and cheap/free.

Hey everybody! So I'm a non trad about 6 years removed from Gen Chem, Organic Chem and Physics. I have about 2 years left of a DIY post bacc so my original plan was to retake Gen Chem and Organic so that I could get a proper foundation of the subject as I barely remember anything from these classes. However, just found out my school has a policy where you're not allowed to retake classes you've already received a B or better in and transferring schools isn't a good option (for several reasons that I don't really feel like explaining, but will if anybody is really curious).

One option is that I am allowed to sit in on all the lectures I just wouldn't be actually registered for it or be allowed to participate in the lab component, another option is that I could just forget going to a lecture and re-teach myself all the material that way I could structure it so that its MCAT material focused but I've never been a "self-teaching" kinda person, and I'm not sure if this will go well.

Has anybody ever been in a similar situation and what did you do? If you re-taught yourself were there any resources you used? Are there any online lecturers that are thorough enough to replace actually taking the course?

I was in a very similar situation when I decided to take the MCAT. All of my prerequisites were 5-10 years old. Wikipremed literally is the only reason I was able to get in anywhere. It starts with physics and spirals into gen chem and then ochem. Wonderful and FREE! The physics cards are absolutely worth their weight in gold. I used that and khan academy whenever wikipremed wasn't clicking for me. Both will teach you ochem, but I think for the MCAT specifically khan is probably a better resource since the exam changed.

Pm me if you have any questions about it. I swear by wikipremed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sitting in on lecture for no credit is fine, so long as you aren't charged for it. There are also tons of free online resources you can use to get yourself up to speed as well, such as coursera and edx as noted above, MIT opencourseware, wiki premed, and khan academy are other options.

Reactions: 2 users
When I took my postbac prerequisites, most of those classes were focused on problem solvings instead of understanding concepts. I kind of had to relearn the concepts using the Berkley review books. These books are designed for the MCAT but I leraned important concepts in a way that I still remember them 10 years later.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

I was in the same boat last year. All of my basic science classes occurred 6-7 years ago. I'm in my first semester of a DIY post bacc. Before I started I decided I wasn't going to retake any classes. I had to get back up to speed and honestly I didn't remember much. I was trying to review a little in my spare time to prepare. It wasn't getting me anywhere. I needed to have some skin in the game. I prepared for school by taking the mcat. 6 months out from my return to school I quit my job.I ordered a used exam krackers set. I just read it once through and took some notes. Then I started doing practice questions with whatever q banks I could find on eBay. I started making anki cards out of the questions I missed. I just kept chipping away at the material. I made studying a routine. When I got tired of doing questions. I watched YouTube/Khan videos. No joke I probably did at least 10000 practice questions. The hardest part was battling self doubt. I kept grinding and it paided off. I ended up doing well on the MCAT and it really helped me perform in school. This semester would have been a struggle had I not prepared for it. I hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm so glad I found this thread. I need to take Organic Chem I & II, Physics I & II, and Biochemistry before I can even apply. I will look into the resources everyone shared to help me get through these courses.

By the time I took the MCAT, I was 5-6 years removed from physics and general chemistry. I was able to reteach myself most of what I needed using Kaplan and the Berkley Review (honestly, it was explained better than I ever recall it being explained in class). Make yourself a realistic schedule and stick to it (emphasis on the realistic). If you learn better from in person instruction, I think sitting in on the lectures would be a great idea. Just make sure you relate it back to your MCAT study materials afterwards. Not everything you learn in these courses is MCAT relevant and there also may be some things your school doesn't cover in depth that could show up on the MCAT. But I agree with posts above, practice practice practice. Do as many practice questions and practice exams as you can, giving yourself time limits. If you're not a self-teaching person, I hate to say it, but you need to try and learn that skill now because you will be doing a lot of self directed learning in medical school. Good luck!

When I went back for my postbacc, I did self-study for Chem I with the textbook I'd be using when I began Chem II. I watched Khan Academy, did the practice problems, and found tests and quizzes online. It worked out fine as I went on to get an A in Chem II.

Sitting in on lecture for no credit is fine, so long as you aren't charged for it. There are also tons of free online resources you can use to get yourself up to speed as well, such as coursera and edx as noted above, MIT opencourseware, wiki premed, and khan academy are other options.
That's right!

Spend your time on review books/ review classes if you have already received b's or better the first time around.