Relationships in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as8906

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering going into a neurosurgery residency but recently I have been thinking about the likelihood of entering residency as a single male. I guess this question goes out to either NS residents or attendings: is it possible to get any kind of dating done while an NS resident?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this lol but I just want to know for sure. I guess my concern is being single throughout all of the NS residency. Have you heard of or seen people start NS residency single and get into relationships during residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering going into a neurosurgery residency but recently I have been thinking about the likelihood of entering residency as a single male. I guess this question goes out to either NS residents or attendings: is it possible to get any kind of dating done while an NS resident?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this lol but I just want to know for sure. I guess my concern is being single throughout all of the NS residency. Have you heard of or seen people start NS residency single and get into relationships during residency?
Premed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I haven't been on here in a while so my status hasn't been updated

A few of my male colleagues met their spouses during residency. One I know who was our perpetual bachelor dated like a dozen different female doctors from specialties we interact with until he met his wife during his chief year and now they're married with a baby.

Glad to know guys worry about this kind of thing too. :)

I've dated two NSG residents (PG3, 4) and both guys were serial daters who didn't really seem to have trouble having time to date. Think it was quite the opposite, as they both seemed to enjoy a number of short term relationships, however

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile