Regarding NRMP waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbandit

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've jumped the gun. I agree with yall and I should wait it out, and let everything sink in.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stop. Right now. You're not thinking things through or reading the necessary information.

You will not be successful with the NRMP waiver. The waiver is for "unanticipated serious and extreme hardships," and having second thoughts about the specialty you ranked on your match list is not one of those hardships. The waiver can also be used for change of specialty but that applies to advanced programs starting in PGY-2 and not PGY-1 positions. "Waivers based on change of specialty must be requested by the December 15 prior to the start of the training." AKA this will not work out for you.

I question how "serious" your consideration has been since yesterday you said you were ecstatic to have matched into psychiatry. It hasn't even been a week since the match, you need to calm down and take a step back from everything and stop making such rash decisions.

Read: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Case-Summaries-Waivers.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How many people are going to post about this before they get it that you CANNOT get a waiver in this way?? This is EXACTLY why the NRMP has that screen before you put in your rank list saying that it's a BINDING CONTRACT and there is no going back, especially if you have a sudden change of heart. This is why these rules are there.

I agree that I am kind of jumping the gun. In my original post, I said I was ecstatic, however I had some concerns. I do think I need to let everything sink in.

Status
Not open for further replies.