Regarding final grade and professor issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

damagecontrol20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

so I'm in quite a predicament. I took a class this past semester and received a B+. However, when I asked the professor for a breakdown of my grade, he refused to give me my last 3-4 assignment grades which totaled 15 percent. I have a strong feeling I excelled in these assignments.

the thing is the professor emailed the entire class the distribution of the grade and each persons individual grades and their scores ( anonymously with my last 4 grades missing). From this, we could calculate the cutoffs for an A etc.

My grades throughout the semester were some of the highest in the class so I was expecting an A/A- at the lowest ( even if I failed the last 3-4 assignments which I know I didn't). I also noticed that the professor is a subjective grader and gave people who had lower scores than me higher grades ( they got A-/A grades even though their test scores were 10-15 points lower than mine).

When I emailed the professor about this, he told me to not bother him anymore. This is a science class that is strictly based on tests and assignments.

I don't know what to do. I am going to file an appeal with all the documentation. Do you think I have a strong case to do so? The thing that gets to me is that roughly 5-10 students with lower scores than me got higher grades than me.

I would be grateful for your help.
@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
if your schools "handbook of rules" (or whatever) say you have a right to your graded assignments (which is probably does) attach someone in affairs to the email

thank you @TheBiologist. the thing that gets to me is that he gave me a lower grade than people who scored lower than me on everything. do you think filing an appeal with the chair can get my grade changed especially since the professor is being so uncooperative?

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you @TheBiologist. the thing that gets to me is that he gave me a lower grade than people who scored lower than me on everything. do you think filing an appeal with the chair can get my grade changed especially since the professor is being so uncooperative?
well only if the assignments were graded incorrectly or he miscalculated your grade; perhaps you thought you did very well on the last few assignments but missed something. who knows but you probably have a right to find out

Does your school grade on a bell curve? Many of my intro math/science/engineering classes were graded on a bell curve, so breakdown never really mattered - final percent only mattered with respect to other students' grades. It doesn't sound like this is your issue, but thought I'd check.

This sounds like a delicate issue. Were you on good terms with the professor before?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

thank you for your response! the class was not graded on a bell curve. I thought I was on good terms with the professor :/

I calculated all the grades based on the spreadsheet the prof sent us; my grade is roughly an 85.2; people in the 84-86 ranges got an A- while I got a B+. this is why I'm baffled and don't know what to do. do you think I should go to the chair and get this grade changed? its a clear cut issue but the professor is refusing to help.

Does your school grade on a bell curve? Many of my intro math/science/engineering classes were graded on a bell curve, so breakdown never really mattered - final percent only mattered with respect to other students' grades. It doesn't sound like this is your issue, but thought I'd check.

This sounds like a delicate issue. Were you on good terms with the professor before?

I also noticed that the professor is a subjective grader and gave people who had lower scores than me higher grades ( they got A-/A grades even though their test scores were 10-15 points lower than mine).

This is a science class that is strictly based on tests and assignments.

These two statements contradict each other.

Reactions: 1 users
These two statements contradict each other.

that's exactly why I'm confused. the professor stated in their syllabus that the only determinants of the grade were tests and assignments, yet, they were subjective. this is why I'm baffled

Take your B+ and move on. The Prof has already told you not to bother him anymore.

Generally speaking, I agree with @gonnif but this sounds fishy to me...
the thing is the professor emailed the entire class the distribution of the grade and each persons individual grades and their scores ( anonymously with my last 4 grades missing). From this, we could calculate the cutoffs for an A etc.
Did he send out everyone's assignment grades to the whole class and your last 4 were the only ones missing? Or did he send out total grades w/ letter grades for the the whole class and assignment grades individually? If the latter, do you know if other students got their scores for those last assignments?
In a course based on test grades, the prof should easily be able to show you why you got the grade you did (NB: not necessarily give you a different grade, but be able to justify the grade he did give you.)

My grades throughout the semester were some of the highest in the class so I was expecting an A/A- at the lowest ( even if I failed the last 3-4 assignments which I know I didn't). I also noticed that the professor is a subjective grader and gave people who had lower scores than me higher grades ( they got A-/A grades even though their test scores were 10-15 points lower than mine).
I'm not sure how you know you were scoring highest, but if you calculate out your grade, according to the syllabus and his grade cutoffs, then you should have a reasonable idea of where your grade would be.

If the prof has returned those assignments/grades to other students, but refuses to give them to you, then I would say there's cause to go over his head.
HOWEVER - BIG CAVEAT - do NOT go to your chair and demand a regrade or a bump in your grade or discipline of the prof, or any other such fool thing.. The faculty will immediately close ranks and you will definitely be branded a PITA to the whole department. Which will hurt you much more in the long run than one B+ ever could.
Instead, go politely, humbly, to the chair and request access to your last assignments/grades, so you can see where you went wrong and learn from your mistakes. Because you probably didn't do as well as you think you did and the grade is probably justified. But as a student, you do have a right to know your scores and have your grade explained to you.
If, for some reason, the chair refuses to help you gain access/explanation, then sorry, suck it up and move on. Because you have a crappy department and pushing it any further will do more harm than good.

Reactions: 2 users
Woah.
I had an exact issue like this the past semester- the prof didn't budge. Sometimes scales are arbitrary and are more for people to pass than for you ( you, the OP) to get your A/A-. I emailed the prof and had a quick conversation ( like two emails per person) and then dropped it. You have some good luck, you have some bad luck. I was a bit upset at first but I'm fine with it now.

I'm grateful for all your responses. The professor is refusing to give me my last set of scores ( they didn't give it to the rest of the class as well).

In regards to the spreadsheet, the professor sent to the class all of the grades that made up their final grades ( except for the last 4 assignments).

The reason why I'm concerned is that I'm a postbac ( these are my last set of grades). In addition, I know I did well on those assignments as I performed well on the previous ones. Furthermore, my test scores were a solid 15-20 points above the mean.

This is why I'm baffled. I'm going to the department chair and will request access. I will also ask if I could request a change of grade because I have all the proof that my grade was in the A- range. From what I interpreted, the professor is retiring this semester and just wanted to move on from the course, so that's why I think my grade was haphazardly submitted ( I was given an incomplete and made up the incomplete). The professor also messed up other students final grades but changed theirs which is why I have a strong suspicion of my grade.

I hate to be labeled metaphorically as a PITA ( I've never appealed my grade and am super respectful to the prof and the department). The stakes are just high and I feel that I truly earned an A- based on my performance but based on my profs stubbornness, I'm forced to take this route.

I would be grateful for further insight and am very, very grateful for your responses. Thank you all ❤️

I'm grateful for all your responses. The professor is refusing to give me my last set of scores ( they didn't give it to the rest of the class as well).

In regards to the spreadsheet, the professor sent to the class all of the grades that made up their final grades ( except for the last 4 assignments).

The reason why I'm concerned is that I'm a postbac ( these are my last set of grades). In addition, I know I did well on those assignments as I performed well on the previous ones. Furthermore, my test scores were a solid 15-20 points above the mean.

This is why I'm baffled. I'm going to the department chair and will request access. I will also ask if I could request a change of grade because I have all the proof that my grade was in the A- range. From what I interpreted, the professor is retiring this semester and just wanted to move on from the course, so that's why I think my grade was haphazardly submitted ( I was given an incomplete and made up the incomplete). The professor also messed up other students final grades but changed theirs which is why I have a strong suspicion of my grade.

I hate to be labeled metaphorically as a PITA ( I've never appealed my grade and am super respectful to the prof and the department). The stakes are just high and I feel that I truly earned an A- based on my performance but based on my profs stubbornness, I'm forced to take this route.

I would be grateful for further insight and am very, very grateful for your responses. Thank you all

I really like your thought process here. Maybe the prof is the one who is already recognized as a PITA by the school after so many years. I like that you are standing up for what you deserve. I do understand and respect the opinions you got above but some of the advice seemed hypothetical and perhaps slightly cynical. Looks like you are complaining regards a grade but also a principle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Just to give you an update. After repeated requests to get the Professor to give me my assignment grades, the professor is refusing to give me a breakdown of my grade based on the breakdown on the syllabus.

The professor mentioned that because I came to class late a few times, they felt I merited a B+; no where on the syllabus does it state that attendance is part of the grade nor is this school policy. In addition, they mentioned that if I email them again, they will be forced to lower my grade to a B. Finally, despite repeats attempts for my assignment grades, the professor is refusing to give them to me.

Is this grounds for a grade appeal? I've never experienced this kind of ambiguity before and was in regular touch with him throughout the semester which is why I'm baffled by this. Based on my performances in the course, I feel I merited an A-. Your help and clarification would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi all,

Just to give you an update. After repeated requests to get the Professor to give me my assignment grades, the professor is refusing to give me a breakdown of my grade based on the breakdown on the syllabus.

The professor mentioned that because I came to class late a few times, they felt I merited a B+; no where on the syllabus does it state that attendance is part of the grade nor is this school policy. In addition, they mentioned that if I email them again, they will be forced to lower my grade to a B. Finally, despite repeats attempts for my assignment grades, the professor is refusing to give them to me.

Is this grounds for a grade appeal? I've never experienced this kind of ambiguity before and was in regular touch with him throughout the semester which is why I'm baffled by this. Based on my performances in the course, I feel I merited an A-. Your help and clarification would be appreciated. Thank you
Contact the department chair for your major and talk to them. I've known students that experience similar issues to yours and it was solved by just contacting them. Looks like your professor doesn't give af about anything you have to say and is threatening to lower your grade even more is definitely not allowed.

Thank you for your response! I spoke to the department chair and was told to take this to the school academic committee as she couldn't change my grade. Do you think based on everything I said that I have a viable chance of having my grade changed?

Last edited:
Thank you for your response! I spoke to the department chair and was told to take this to the school academic committee as she couldn't change my grade. Do you think based on everything I said that I have a viable chance of having my grade changed?
If everything you have said is accurate, I'd believe so. I know a professor in the English department that ignored student's emails and requests (kinda like yours), and made up dumb rules out of nowhere and once the student talked to the department chair or whoever of higher power they had their problems fixed. obviously this varies by university, but you have a strong case so Idk why it wouldn't get fixed

OP keeps giving more and more information in increments. So let me see if I have this right. The professor never returned the final four assignments to anybody in the class and nobody knows what grades they got on those assignments. But somehow everybody is still able to calculate their final grades even though they're missing those assignments? That doesn't sound right.

Second point is, OP is in a post-bacc program. Professors may not curve all levels of student to the same curve. This is more common in undergrad/grad combined courses but holds true generally. It may just be that the post-bacc curve is higher and that's why OP got a lower grade - because he or she did worse off relative to other post-bacc students. I know OP asked the professor if there was a curve but "curve" has several different meanings and is ambiguous. Is there a printed rubric somewhere that explicitly says "84-86 = A-" or something along those lines?

OP keeps giving more and more information in increments. So let me see if I have this right. The professor never returned the final four assignments to anybody in the class and nobody knows what grades they got on those assignments. But somehow everybody is still able to calculate their final grades even though they're missing those assignments? That doesn't sound right.

Second point is, OP is in a post-bacc program. Professors may not curve all levels of student to the same curve. This is more common in undergrad/grad combined courses but holds true generally. It may just be that the post-bacc curve is higher and that's why OP got a lower grade - because he or she did worse off relative to other post-bacc students. I know OP asked the professor if there was a curve but "curve" has several different meanings and is ambiguous. Is there a printed rubric somewhere that explicitly says "84-86 = A-" or something along those lines?

Thank you for your response. The professor sent multiple spreadsheets and included a final spreadsheet with our final grades. When I asked the prof what my grades were for those 4 assignments, they told me to just use the scores on the spreadsheet. From my calculations, my grade was in the A- range; I calculated the ranges by calculating other students grades based on the spreadsheet I was sent. My percentage fell dead Center in the A- range.

When I emailed the professor about this discrepancy, the professor avoided answering my questions on the assignments and mentioned that my lateness to class contributed to a lower grade. On the syllabus, however, attendance was not part of the grade.

One more thing; the professor mentioned in a later email that they messed up some grades and that they would resubmit grades.

Thus, from this, I regrettably can conclude 2 things; the professor did not grade the last 4 assignments (hence telling me to calculate the grade based on the spreadsheet they sent to the class) and/or the professor is giving me reasons to reduce my grade that are not on the syllabus--hence a violation of academic policy. Not only that but the Professor is threatening to reduce my grade from a B+ to a B

Do you feel the same way? For these reasons, I feel it is justified to file an appeal for an A-.

Thank you for your response. The professor sent multiple spreadsheets and included a final spreadsheet with our final grades. When I asked the prof what my grades were for those 4 assignments, they told me to just use the scores on the spreadsheet. From my calculations, my grade was in the A- range; I calculated the ranges by calculating other students grades based on the spreadsheet I was sent. My percentage fell dead Center in the A- range.

There are too many spreadsheets floating around on here. Does a spreadsheet with all of your grades, including all tests and assignments (including the last four), exist and do you have access to it? Since you say you calculated your final grade, I have to assume that you have that spreadsheet because that's the only way you could calculate your final grade with certainty.

Also, what is the grade breakdown from the syllabus? Give us the percentages and make sure they add to 100.

One more thing; the professor mentioned in a later email that they messed up some grades and that they would resubmit grades.

Have those grades been resubmitted and if so, was your grade changed? If you don't know if grades have been resubmitted, how long has it been?

Thus, from this, I regrettably can conclude 2 things; the professor did not grade the last 4 assignments (hence telling me to calculate the grade based on the spreadsheet they sent to the class) and/or the professor is giving me reasons to reduce my grade that are not on the syllabus--hence a violation of academic policy. Not only that but the Professor is threatening to reduce my grade from a B+ to a B

It seems to me only reasonable to take this up a level if you have a spreadsheet with all of the grades on it for you and everybody else in the class, you've calculated everyone's final grade, and you have the exact grade breakdown from the syllabus. In other words, you have to prove that you have some numerical score calculated from the formula in the syllabus, that you have the score for everyone else, and everyone else with that score got an A- while you got a B+.

As an aside, did you do anything to offend the professor during the semester?

When you're in a hole, quit digging! Take the damn B+ and be happy he doesn't fail you!

The difference between a B+ and an A- isn't going to make or break your acceptance to med school. Just move on.

Reactions: 4 users
There are too many spreadsheets floating around on here. Does a spreadsheet with all of your grades, including all tests and assignments (including the last four), exist and do you have access to it? Since you say you calculated your final grade, I have to assume that you have that spreadsheet because that's the only way you could calculate your final grade with certainty.

Also, what is the grade breakdown from the syllabus? Give us the percentages and make sure they add to 100.

Have those grades been resubmitted and if so, was your grade changed? If you don't know if grades have been resubmitted, how long has it been?

It seems to me only reasonable to take this up a level if you have a spreadsheet with all of the grades on it for you and everybody else in the class, you've calculated everyone's final grade, and you have the exact grade breakdown from the syllabus. In other words, you have to prove that you have some numerical score calculated from the formula in the syllabus, that you have the score for everyone else, and everyone else with that score got an A- while you got a B+.

As an aside, did you do anything to offend the professor during the semester?

I am grateful for your response. Unfortunately, he did not send the class a final spreadsheet with the last 4 assignments to the class; however, when i asked him for a grade breakdown after receiving my final grade, he told me to just use the spreadsheet that he sent out without those 4 grades ( why he said this, idk). This is why I am unable to calculate my final grade with certainty.

When I did ask him for a breakdown, he ignored my question on the 4 assignments and said that my grade was lowered due to showing up late ( not on the syllabus).

Those other grade changes were resubmitted. My grade was not changed because the professor is not seeing the discrepancy despite my clear-cut calculation based on his request ( i.e. use the last spreadsheet he sent).

I do have multiple emails where I request the breakdown of my grade but he either ignores/deviates from that question. after three emails, I have yet to get a detailed numerical breakdown of my grade. All I can say is that I felt confident that I performed well on the last 4 assignments given my track record of performing well in this course.

The thing that bothers me is that two of my friends that took this course with me both got A-s with the same grades as me ( one slightly higher and the other slightly lower). This is why im upset/baffled. Both of them had their grade changed because the professor admitted to making a mistake ( they both got B+'s originally lol); these changes occurred in the past week.

How do you feel about this case? despite my repeated attempts to get a full detailed breakdown from the professor, he is not giving it to me ( hence, the suspicion that those assignments were not graded).

When you're in a hole, quit digging! Take the damn B+ and be happy he doesn't fail you!

The difference between a B+ and an A- isn't going to make or break your acceptance to med school. Just move on.

I completely agree. Regrettably, I feel as if I earned an A- ( my exam grades were a solid 15-20 points higher than the average).

ironically, the lowest grade the professor gave in this class is a B ( that was their curve...someone with a 70 average got a B).

This is why im baffled and upset.

And what are you going to do in medical school when you receive a clinical grade you don't agree with?

There are battles that are worth fighting. This is NOT one of them. Grow up and move on... and for goodness sake, do not use this in a secondary about adversity you faced!

I am grateful for your response. Unfortunately, he did not send the class a final spreadsheet with the last 4 assignments to the class; however, when i asked him for a grade breakdown after receiving my final grade, he told me to just use the spreadsheet that he sent out without those 4 grades ( why he said this, idk). This is why I am unable to calculate my final grade with certainty.

And those four assignments were not released to anybody else in the class either, correct? So you calculated everybody's grades based on all other assignments plus exams and that's what you're basing your case off of?

When I did ask him for a breakdown, he ignored my question on the 4 assignments and said that my grade was lowered due to showing up late ( not on the syllabus).

Those other grade changes were resubmitted. My grade was not changed because the professor is not seeing the discrepancy despite my clear-cut calculation based on his request ( i.e. use the last spreadsheet he sent).

I do have multiple emails where I request the breakdown of my grade but he either ignores/deviates from that question. after three emails, I have yet to get a detailed numerical breakdown of my grade. All I can say is that I felt confident that I performed well on the last 4 assignments given my track record of performing well in this course.

I want to know the grade breakdown from the syllabus. In other words, what percentage of your grade is due to assignments, tests, etc. These numbers should add up to 100.

So the last 4 assignments weren't included in anyone's final grade? Your grade is based on everything but the final 4 assignments? Nobody's final grade included the final 4 assignments? Just forget about the final 4 assignments. Your grade is based on what the teacher has given you right? Deal with that. Stop comparing yourself to others in the class and their grade. Did you participate in class? Did you go to office hours? We already know you came late to class at least once. Is there that big of difference between a B+ and an A-?How does it impact your GPA? What is your GPA with a B+ and what is it with an A-? I think you should just let it go. I doubt it makes that big of a difference and you've got yourself all upset and I doubt it will keep you out of medical school.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

And what are you going to do in medical school when you receive a clinical grade you don't agree with?

There are battles that are worth fighting. This is NOT one of them. Grow up and move on... and for goodness sake, do not use this in a secondary about adversity you faced!

thank you for your response. If you read my last post, I mentioned that two of my friends who were in the class with me and who had roughly the same grades as me had their grades changed from a B+ to an A-.

if this had not been done, I would definitely move on from this.

Trust me, I do not even consider this as an adversity. I'm in the final semester of my postbac before applications; this is why im especially concerned as these are my last set of grades.

Easier said than done when you're not in OP's position lol. OP I would stop replying to this thread and see what your school decides to do since that's ultimately the last shot at getting the grade you deserve, there's really no point in arguing with these guys on here and restating what you already posted.

And those four assignments were not released to anybody else in the class either, correct? So you calculated everybody's grades based on all other assignments plus exams and that's what you're basing your case off of?

I want to know the grade breakdown from the syllabus. In other words, what percentage of your grade is due to assignments, tests, etc. These numbers should add up to 100.

no one else in the class got the last 4 assignment grades. I calculated my grade based on the other assignments and exams as per the professor's request ( when I asked for a breakdown)...at that time, my grade fell in the A- range.

the syllabus is 80% exams and 20% assignments ( hence no attendance).

this is why im concerned; he is not giving me a clear reason for my grade but is changing other people's grades. am I really at fault here?

i was super respectful to the professor and was even planning on getting him a gift after the semester ended ( hes retiring after the summer).

So the last 4 assignments weren't included in anyone's final grade? Your grade is based on everything but the final 4 assignments? Nobody's final grade included the final 4 assignments? Just forget about the final 4 assignments. Your grade is based on what the teacher has given you right? Deal with that. Stop comparing yourself to others in the class and their grade. Did you participate in class? Did you go to office hours? We already know you came late to class at least once. Is there that big of difference between a B+ and an A-?How does it impact your GPA? What is your GPA with a B+ and what is it with an A-? I think you should just let it go. I doubt it makes that big of a difference and you've got yourself all upset and I doubt it will keep you out of medical school.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I actually was one of the few students that participated heavily in class. I went to office hours frequently and emailed him frequently on how to improve my grade, etc.

As awful as this sounds, this grade would impact my gpa ( its a 6 credit science class). this is why im concerned. im also from a low-income family and unfortunately do not have the resources to continue to take courses to raise my grade etc.

Despite all of this, i wouldve accepted the grade if the professor just gave me a clearcut breakdown and had not changed other students' grades. i think any other student in my position would see the rationale in my pursuit of a grade appeal especially when he threatened to lower my grade ( idk who would do that?)

no one else in the class got the last 4 assignment grades. I calculated my grade based on the other assignments and exams as per the professor's request ( when I asked for a breakdown)...at that time, my grade fell in the A- range.

the syllabus is 80% exams and 20% assignments ( hence no attendance).

this is why im concerned; he is not giving me a clear reason for my grade but is changing other people's grades. am I really at fault here?

i was super respectful to the professor and was even planning on getting him a gift after the semester ended ( hes retiring after the summer).

Okay, I think I have the full picture here. You calculated your grades based on the spreadsheet your professor sent you which lacks the final four assignments for everybody. You did this because you have explicit instruction from him/her to calculate it in that way. Based on that calculation, you got a numerical score that is in the middle of the range of scores of people who got an A- but you got a B+. Did you check the people who got B+'s? Were they all lower than you too?

If that's the full story, then we have a better picture. You're kind of in a sticky situation here because of those four missing assignments. I don't know how many assignments there were in total, but your professor could claim you got super low grades on those and everybody else did really well, which brought down your overall grade. Those four assignments are like a buffer zone for him to say whatever.

In general, this is the following framework I would use to analyze this question:

1) Can you prove that you can calculate your score accurately? Since your professor told you explicitly to use the spreadsheet and you have documentation of this, it sounds like you can calculate your score. However, again, the four lost assignments puts a dent in this one.

2) Can you prove that you can calculate everyone else's score too using the same standards? It seems like you can because you have the spreadsheet. Here again, the four assignments makes things hairy and gives the professor buffer room.

3) Can you prove that you are the only one with a certain numerical score that got a lower grade than anyone else with similar scores? To prove this, you have to look at everybody with an A- and look at the range. Then you have to look at everybody with a B+ and look at that range. Is your score the only anomalous one? For instance, if the range of A- is 84-87 and the range of B+ is 79-83 and you got a B+ with a score of 85, then you can prove that your score led to an anomalous letter grade.

4) Is it worth the trouble? A B+ to an A- is not a big jump at all and the professor has already threatened to lower your grade to a B. Is it worth it to burn your bridges with that department? Especially given that there are four missing assignments, this complicates this issue because it's not clear cut. If those were not missing and you could satisfy guidelines 1-3 completely, then my answer would be different.

I actually was one of the few students that participated heavily in class. I went to office hours frequently and emailed him frequently on how to improve my grade, etc.

Found the problem. You were one of the top performing students in the class (solidly A or A- according to your own words) and you frequently emailed the professor on how to improve your grade?

Reactions: 4 users
Found the problem. You were one of the top performing students in the class (solidly A or A- according to your own words) and you frequently emailed the professor on how to improve your grade?

thank you for your response! I had some of the highest grades on the exams in the class and did well enough on the assignments where my grade would fall in the A- range.

i can prove that i was at least one of the students that received a lower grade as the professor sent out a mass email after the semester ended saying that he messed up roughly 10 students grades ( coincidentally two are my friends with similar grades as me).

i spoke to the chair of the department and was advised to appeal the grade. the chair felt the professor did not assign grades properly especially since he made mistakes with other students grades.

in regards to 1 + 2, i have the emails where i ask for the breakdown of my grade multiple times but he is not giving it to me ( instead giving other reason for my low grade); hence, i plan on showing those emails as well which will show that I was advised by the prof to calculate my grades based on the spreadsheet he sent out without the four assignments.

Overall, do you think i have a strong case? i honestly do not want to do any of this but feel as if I have no choice as it will put a dent in my gpa since its a 6 credit class. thank you once again.

This. The issue is that OP is being a stereotypical pre-med student. The subjective curve that OP is talking about? It's probably because they are pre-med. Some science professors just have a hard-on for pre-med students. OP, learn to fly under the radar and not make enemies.

i can prove that i was at least one of the students that received a lower grade as the professor sent out a mass email after the semester ended saying that he messed up roughly 10 students grades ( coincidentally two are my friends with similar grades as me).

i spoke to the chair of the department and was advised to appeal the grade. the chair felt the professor did not assign grades properly especially since he made mistakes with other students grades.

in regards to 1 + 2, i have the emails where i ask for the breakdown of my grade multiple times but he is not giving it to me ( instead giving other reason for my low grade); hence, i plan on showing those emails as well which will show that I was advised by the prof to calculate my grades based on the other scores.

Overall, do you think i have a strong case? i honestly do not want to do any of this but feel as if I have no choice as it will put a dent in my gpa since its a 6 credit class. thank you once again.

Again, it's the four missing assignments that could give the professor some buffer space here. If you are to proceed with this, I would also submit a copy of the email in which he said you got a lower grade because you showed up to class late along with a copy of the syllabus where the exact grade breakdowns are given. If you can get a statement from the department chair, that's even better, since he or she obviously believes that the professor has misassigned grades.

I cannot tell you whether you should pursue this - that's your decision. I've only told you what I think the professor might say in his own defense and what to submit if you are to pursue this further.

@aldo16 I don't think the final 4 assignments are missing. I think the professor threw them out because he ran out of time and had to submit final grades. I'm pretty sure the final 4 assignments have no part in anyone's final grade. So OP(and everyone else) can and should forget about those"missing" assignments and grades. OP only can work with what the professor says to work with. It still doesn't help the OP but ...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This. The issue is that OP is being a stereotypical pre-med student. The subjective curve that OP is talking about? It's probably because they are pre-med. Some science professors just have a hard-on for pre-med students. OP, learn to fly under the radar and not make enemies.

you are completely correct about the stereotypical premed. However, the subjective curve is not really my perception given that he emailed all of our grades to us so we could have a rough idea of how he distributed grades. Trust me, I am not the stereotypical premed and have very few premed friends.

@aldo16 I don't think the final 4 assignments are missing. I think the professor threw them out because he ran out of time and had to submit final grades. I'm pretty sure the final 4 assignments have no part in anyone's final grade. So OP(and everyone else) can and should forget about those"missing" assignments and grades. OP only can work with what the professor says to work with. It still doesn't help the OP but ...

Well at this point it doesn't matter since they give the professor room to breathe. It's no longer objective. The professor can say "Oh, OP failed those four assignments and that brought him down a few points - enough to go from an A- to a B+."

Again, it's the four missing assignments that could give the professor some buffer space here. If you are to proceed with this, I would also submit a copy of the email in which he said you got a lower grade because you showed up to class late along with a copy of the syllabus where the exact grade breakdowns are given. If you can get a statement from the department chair, that's even better, since he or she obviously believes that the professor has misassigned grades.

I cannot tell you whether you should pursue this - that's your decision. I've only told you what I think the professor might say in his own defense and what to submit if you are to pursue this further.

that is what i will be doing; I'm baffled about how even graded and took lateness into account when it was not even on the syllabus.

im also baffled that the professor cant just give me a breakdown of my grade; i feel as if i'm running through a labyrinth. if he gave me a clearcut breakdown, i would have understood and most likely would not have pursued this appeal.

I also already have a statement from the chair to do the appeal based on what i told them.

i guess ill just file this appeal and hope for the best; i will include the grade charts, his emails to calculate my grade based on the grade charts, and how he broke down my grade since it went against the syllabus in addition to the email that stated he messed up roughly 10 students grades.

i know i didnt fail those assignments; i hope he doesnt do that.

thank you once again

im also baffled that the professor cant just give me a breakdown of my grade; i feel as if i'm running through a labyrinth. if he gave me a clearcut breakdown, i would have understood and most likely would not have pursued this appeal.

There are only two outcomes from that: 1) He gives you the grade distribution and you see that you indeed got a grade in the B+ range. No need to appeal. 2) He gives you the grade distribution and you see that you clearly got a grade in the A- range. That leaves you in the same position you are in now.

There are only two outcomes from that: 1) He gives you the grade distribution and you see that you indeed got a grade in the B+ range. No need to appeal. 2) He gives you the grade distribution and you see that you clearly got a grade in the A- range. That leaves you in the same position you are in now.

Do you the fact that he's not giving me a final grade distribution will be used against me? I get that he has a buffer but despite my repeated requests, he's just not giving it to me. In regards to this, do you think my best course of action would be to print out these emails also which indicate his refusal/reasons for my grade breakdown ? I'm trying to make this as clearcut as possible for the committee

you are completely correct about the stereotypical premed. However, the subjective curve is not really my perception given that he emailed all of our grades to us so we could have a rough idea of how he distributed grades. Trust me, I am not the stereotypical premed and have very few premed friends.

No, you are being that person. Just let it go, at best we are talking a 0.4 point difference for a 6 credit class. Pick your battles.

No, you are being that person. Just let it go, at best we are talking a 0.4 point difference for a 6 credit class. Pick your battles.

I think he's got cause to humbly talk to the chair and express confusion about what's been included, why, and how his final grade was calculated.

OP, you absolutely have the right to that info. You absolutely SHOULD NOT go in making any accusations against the professor about screwing up, being lazy, etc (even if that is whats going on). Bring copies of all your emails and just say you are confused, politely.

Him saying he will lower your grade even more is a bad deal. You shouldn't be retaliated against for wanting to know how your grade was determined.

But again, how this plays out is going to hinge largely on your approach. Humble, non- accusatory, is going to be your best bet.

Reactions: 3 users
Haven't skimmed the thread...what does the course syllabus say about grading criteria????

hi all,

so I'm in quite a predicament. I took a class this past semester and received a B+. However, when I asked the professor for a breakdown of my grade, he refused to give me my last 3-4 assignment grades which totaled 15 percent. I have a strong feeling I excelled in these assignments.

When I emailed the professor about this, he told me to not bother him anymore. This is a science class that is strictly based on tests and assignments.

I don't know what to do. I am going to file an appeal with all the documentation. Do you think I have a strong case to do so? The thing that gets to me is that roughly 5-10 students with lower scores than me got higher grades than me.

I would be grateful for your help.
@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn

Haven't skimmed the thread...what does the course syllabus say about grading criteria????
The grading criteria on the syllabus is 80% exams and 20% assignments. i also calculated the grade ranges from the spreadsheet he sent to class/he told me to use that for calculations.

Thus, I calculated the ranges and A rough estimate of my grade fell into the A- range. The thing that's irks me is that the professor threatened to lower my grade to a B and to stop bothering him when all I asked was for a breakdown. This is why I'm filing an appeal.

The grading criteria on the syllabus is 80% exams and 20% assignments. i also calculated the grade ranges from the spreadsheet he sent to class/he told me to use that for calculations.

Thus, I calculated the ranges and my mathematical calculation and my grade fell into the A- range. The thing that's irks me is that the professor threatened to lower my grade to a B and to stop bothering him when all I asked was for a breakdown. This is why I'm filing an appeal.

Part of life is knowing when to pick your battles. Eat the B+, never, ever take that professor again, and make sure all other students know what a slime ball he is.

Perhaps it's a character flaw on my part, but if a prof threatened me like that, one of us would need to find a new institution.

Reactions: 5 users
Part of life is knowing when to pick your battles. Eat the B+, never, ever take that professor again, and make sure all other students know what a slime ball he is.
Im grateful for your response. The only reason I want to fight this is because I'm doing this postbac to enhance my academic record; a B+ is disheartening especially when my grade clearly fell into the A- category.

Is this just cause? I've never filed an appeal before but it's just weird seeing my friends get higher grades than me when mathematically I scored higher :/

Hi there, if you really do deserve an A- and you got a lower grade, then that's unfortunate and I'm sorry about that. However, you do have to realize that by appealing this in the way you are doing and going about a formal process to get your grade changed from a B+ to an A-, you are putting yourself in a far worse situation than if you just took the B+. You really want your school to be 100% on your side when it's time to apply. I've been in situations where I've received grades (especially in high level classes without a well-defined syllabus) that I didn't feel I deserved, but sometimes you just need to look at situations from a bigger perspective and think about what's really important in the long run. Just my two cents!

Hi there, if you really do deserve an A- and you got a lower grade, then that's unfortunate and I'm sorry about that. However, you do have to realize that by appealing this in the way you are doing and going about a formal process to get your grade changed from a B+ to an A-, you are putting yourself in a far worse situation than if you just took the B+. You really want your school to be 100% on your side when it's time to apply. I've been in situations where I've received grades (especially in high level classes without a well-defined syllabus) that I didn't feel I deserved, but sometimes you just need to look at situations from a bigger perspective and think about what's really important in the long run. Just my two cents!

I completely agree with you. The thing is, this professor had a well-defined syllabus ( i.e. what each part of our grade was) yet is giving ambiguous, non-mathematical reasoning for my grade while refraining from giving me several assignment grades ( these assignments were on the syllabus).

I was advised by a faculty member to file an appeal based on this situation. Do you really think I'm making myself look bad for filing this appeal? I'm in desperate need of a higher gpa, especially since I'm applying this year. If I had mathematically earned this grade, I would've accepted it. The professor is just not giving it to me/even threatening me ( why, I still don't know...)