recertification during fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

em401

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and would like to ask a quesiton. I finished my IM residency in 2008 and was certified the same year. Now, I am planning on applying for a fellwship starting in 2017. It means, I will have to apply for an IM recertification at the end of my first year fellowship. Do you know if it would be feasible? (I will be doing pulm/ccm)

Members don't see this ad.

I am new to the forum and would like to ask a quesiton. I finished my IM residency in 2008 and was certified the same year. Now, I am planning on applying for a fellwship starting in 2017. It means, I will have to apply for an IM recertification at the end of my first year fellowship. Do you know if it would be feasible? (I will be doing pulm/ccm)
you will need to be recertified since you will need to be certified in your core specialty to sit for the pulm/cc boards...you may want to consider taking them this year BEFORE starting fellowship if you think it will be difficult to do so as a 1st/2nd year fellow...however, most people will be sitting for their initial IM certification in the beginning of their 1st year so programs probably have scheduling plans that allow for the 1st years to be able to take the exam.

Reactions: 1 user

In most fellowships 2nd year is more chill. Plus most of us take initial boards first year of fellowship so you'll figure it out and do fine.

Alternatively, you could take the recert this year and get it out of the way.

NB, I have no idea of the timeline of the recert exam and if it's too late to register/study for it. But it's a thought.