This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisy95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay so I have collins 2016 and have gone through the bio and chem sections already. I also have the Kaplan book, but I'm not too sure I want to go through it. What are some tips you have to give ya girl. I'm taking it in July, but Im wondering how you went about studying for the passaged based questions in the chem sections, and really some tips to get a solid score.

Members don't see this ad.

The updated 2016 or 2017 Dr Collins version (which contains the passages in both biology and chemistry) is as close as it gets in providing similar passages. If you need extra practice use a MCAT material because they contain passages in the chemistry section as well (and maybe biology). Dr Collins is pretty much the best for the chem and biology section imo if you have a newer 2016 or 2017 edition (its just super concise, closest material you'll get to the newer 2017 PCAT format, and saves time in studying). My roommate had to borrow mine because she bought a used outdated 2015 edition that did not contain any passages in both the biology or chemistry section, new study guides for both the chemistry/biology section, or extra tests that was close to the new PCAT format. She was also told by the seller they were relatively the same to the newer one, which isn't totally false but my roommate used my guide more than hers for the chem/bio section which say alot so beware. Kaplan is trash and way too long to study with unless you have the time, but some will say its good enough if you have good test taking skills and don't want to spend alot. It is not concise at all and very outdated. I own an older Kaplan and its literally the same as the 2016-2017 edition (which is a joke). They do come with 2 extra practice tests so that's a plus.

TLDR: 2016 or 2017 Dr Collins is the best hands down for studying chem and the biology sections. Beware of buying an outdated version of Dr Collins (2015 or before). Lastly Kaplan is trash but is a budget study guide (only referring to the book not course). Good luck

PS: Math Destroyer for quant. Essay (just follow Dr Collins format), Reading is either you're good at it or not (can't really improve on it imo and don't need to waste time trying).

Last edited:
Kaplan has relevant content for nonpassage questions but reading the reviews in them is tedious and long so only review them if you have alot of time. I am a slow reader by the way. Questions in Kaplan weren't as relevant and sometimes seemed a lot harder than the real PCAT so it didn't reflect the real PCAT for me personally. Some of my peers used Kaplan and did fine.

I worked around Dr. Collins questions. Very close in terms of difficulty and content. When reviewing answers whether I guessed on or missed I would quickly youtube or review the topic to refresh myself. I was cramming for my PCAT at the second time around and both materials refreshed me very quickly. I was working over 30 hrs and still a full time student, but was able to cover the entire PCAT under a month and half. Dr Collins also has a concise study guide for Biology and covers the new passage format questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I am always hearing very mixed reviews about Kaplan. Some people say its too in depth. Some people say that its just right. And I'm so confused. If you don't mind me asking, did you do well the second time around using Dr.Collins and pearson?

I used Kaplan only. Took 1 Kaplan practice test and scored 74th percentile. Took real pcat the 18th and scored 93rd percentile