Recent grad in need of serious advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdoc11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm in a sort of complicated career/academic situation and, after months of fruitless internet research, have decided to come to actual, experienced humans for advice. :)

In December 2015, I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Biology (minored in Psychology). When I started undergrad, I had unwavering dreams of becoming a physician. Despite multiple cases of stress hives, a much-needed Lexapro prescription, and my first-ever D in Chemistry, I persisted. Eventually, I learned the ins and outs of being a STEM major, and things leveled out. I retook the classes I did poorly in (Gen. Chemistry and Organic Lab), did pretty well on the MCAT, and somehow managed to graduate a mere semester late with a 3.2 GPA.

This is where things start to get complicated: during my senior year, I worked as a scribe in the local hospital ER and was introduced to the PA/NP professions. After only a few shifts, I realized my real dream was PA school (and it has not changed since). Because I was three prereqs short and felt it was too late in the game to apply, I decided on a gap year. I took my prereqs at a local college and came out with a 4.0, as well as worked as an MA at a large university hospital. I also worked on a large research project at the university lab. However, my sGPA is only a 2.75 (this is without applying any academic amnesty policies). I don't know if I should even bother applying to PA school, and I need brutal honesty. I am not interested in applying "as many times as possible," because if this isn't an option I need to focus on other, more reasonable careers.

Any advice? Should I pursue PA or chalk it up to a pipe dream? What about NP, etc.?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I'm in a sort of complicated career/academic situation and, after months of fruitless internet research, have decided to come to actual, experienced humans for advice. :)

In December 2015, I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Biology (minored in Psychology). When I started undergrad, I had unwavering dreams of becoming a physician. Despite multiple cases of stress hives, a much-needed Lexapro prescription, and my first-ever D in Chemistry, I persisted. Eventually, I learned the ins and outs of being a STEM major, and things leveled out. I retook the classes I did poorly in (Gen. Chemistry and Organic Lab), did pretty well on the MCAT, and somehow managed to graduate a mere semester late with a 3.2 GPA.

This is where things start to get complicated: during my senior year, I worked as a scribe in the local hospital ER and was introduced to the PA/NP professions. After only a few shifts, I realized my real dream was PA school (and it has not changed since). Because I was three prereqs short and felt it was too late in the game to apply, I decided on a gap year. I took my prereqs at a local college and came out with a 4.0, as well as worked as an MA at a large university hospital. I also worked on a large research project at the university lab. However, my sGPA is only a 2.75 (this is without applying any academic amnesty policies). I don't know if I should even bother applying to PA school, and I need brutal honesty. I am not interested in applying "as many times as possible," because if this isn't an option I need to focus on other, more reasonable careers.

Any advice? Should I pursue PA or chalk it up to a pipe dream? What about NP, etc.?

Thanks!

Your chance are pretty low(extremely). My old program had a minimal of 3.0 to even apply.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If your dream is to be a provider at all costs, you can find a post bachelors RN program which give you an RN liscense and a masters in nursing. You will then have some graduate credits towards an NP degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above. The 2.7 sGPA is just going to be too big of a hurdle to deal with if you aren't in it for the long haul. My philosophy these days is that life is too short to spin your wheels. Sometimes you have to spin your wheels, but I think the option that will keep you motivated and feeling a sense of moving forward is to chase NP. I really think you have all the pieces in place for PA school except for that sGPA, but GPA is really the most difficult thing to turn around. And nursing is sitting right there looking you in the face.

PA school is competitive, and I have felt for years that it is deceptively approachable for the average person. A lot of folks hear about the lack of something like an MCAT, and the fact that its one year in class and one year in clinical, and they think that its easy to land a seat. I know PAs that had no healthcare experience, and the bare minimum prereqs. But lots of folks know about the PA career, and its the numbers of decent applicants that will do the most to thwart you.

But on the bright side, I don't personally know an RN that is in NP school that has the kind of debt load that just about every PA has that I know. So it may seem like a downer to realize you should take a different path, but you might enjoy it more. Go find a 1 year BSN program that is decently priced, walk into it (since you have most of the prereqs, if not all of them), start working as a nurse, and then go to NP school while you work. You'll be busy, but making good money, and probably have time to have a little bit of a life.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with everything Pamac says.....except for the debt. Many NP programs are now doctorate programs, and some private schools will charge you a LOT!

However you can work during NP school, and that can greatly diminish your debt burden.

Thanks so much for all of your replies! It's good to know I still have options within the healthcare field. :)

Thanks so much for all of your replies! It's good to know I still have options within the healthcare field. :)

With a 2.7 sGPA you might find getting into an accelerated 12-month BSN somewhat tricky, depending on the cost/competitiveness of the program.

So the DNP is turning out to not be the dominant draw that I think the powers that be in nursing wanted it to be, which is a good thing overall, because it's allowing for a lot of options for NP seeking RNs. I know RNs that have opted to pursue the DNP for personal growth reasons, but none of their explanations as to why to get the DNP appeals to me. Some folks feel like they have time on their hands and want the doctorate just because it's there. Others have their hearts set on a particular university that now only offers that option if one wants to be an NP because they dropped the masters degree option. The real reason to pursue it is to be a policy maker, healthcare executive, or an academic, and even then, it's not a universal requirement. It won't open doors for you that you haven't already gained access through for yourself, but it might give you that extra nudge to stand out. It might make being a program director more likely, but that's a job that requires more than just a title if you want to stick around very long.

Everyone I know that wants to get a masters NP degree vs the DNP hasn't had a hard time at all finding a program to accomodate them, and that won't change any time soon. Most schools would probably love to string students along for more revenue, but many schools don't want to lose applicants to programs that offer masters degrees to folks like myself that don't want to spend an extra year working on a DNP.

But even with the DNPs out there, I've rarely come across programs that are more expensive than most PA programs I've looked up. If someone makes a poor decision to attend an NP school that will put them in the poorhouse, that's their prerogative, but it's rarely necessary. I just talked a peer out of interviewing at Georgetown's #1 in the nation NP program because it was something like $86,000 (which is typical fare for PA school) all because this person liked the reputation aspect that Georgetown supposedly brought to the table. I asked this person if the difference between Georgetown and my program was worth the price of a luxury car, and they agreed it probably wasn't given that my program is in the national top 10 (apparently my friend had done the legwork and looked it up... I didn't). At less than $40k, my masters degree np program is a steal compared to just about every PA school I've come across. There's a PA program closest to me that is $120k! The next one nearby is a state school that is probably now $90k for residents. I know a PA that went to Duke that is looking at over $200k in loans. That person makes as much as the NP in the practice that I'm certain wasn't similarly exposed. One of my classmates from RN school is attending an associates to masters program that costs $45k, and it's a good program that turns out solid graduates. So the DNP isn't the forcing anyone to pay down PA school size debts unless someone is a glutton for punishment. For me, I want to get out practicing and making money, not putting together a project for my doctorate, and certainly not spending another year to do it.