Reccomended Booklist for Radiology Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My 2 cents: Forget Brandt and Helms and I think big rad resident encyclopedias are kind of worthless

What books/resources you dive into depends a little on your area of interest. For instance, if you are fascinated by thoracic imaging, you could slowly read through the 4 volumes of Fraser and Pare's "Diagnosis of diseases of the Chest" during residency, but it would be nuts to go into this much depth if you want to develop an interest, in, say, MSK imaging.

But there are some basic textbooks that most rad residents go through:
- Felson's Principles of Chest Roentgenology, A Programmed Text (not the big old Felson's chest text)
- Mettler's Essentials of Nuclear Medicine Imaging
- Neuro Requisites or Osborne's Neuro book
- Some basic abdomen imaging text; a lot of people like Webb's Body CT. I think it's a little too basic and I think "Problem Solving in Abdominal Imaging" is better.
- Most everybody gets the Handbook of Interventional Radiology Procedures. In my experience most don't use it much during IR rotations, but pull it out later to refresh on a procedure they may not have done in a while.
- There are a lot of MSK texts, all with strengths and weaknesses. Some focus more on radiography than advanced imaging, and some vice versa. MSK Requisites" series or Musculoskeletal Imaging 2e or Problem Solving in Musculoskeletal Imaging are not bad
- Most people get a basic body MRI book: Roth or Siegelman
- Pediatric Imaging: The Fundamentals, by Donnelly
- It used to be that most rad residents went through the Case Series books, but this may be waning with so much use of RadPrimer
- Ultrasound Requisites

There's a lot of variety in what books residents get in additional to this depending on their interest, specific weakness, or training program weakness.

I have no connection to any of these books.

Most, if not all, of these books can be found in the medical library or acquired from graduating residents.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This list makes no sense. Waaaaaay too many general books and atlases. Many of those books are medical student appropriate, but far too superficial for a resident.

:( So you're saying this list is for M4 and PGY-1 and early R1. That's what I was trying to go for.

====
I've compiled a list of books for intro/general/comprehensive/boards, anatomy, and physics. Additions or deletions?

Brant and Helms - Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology 4e
Chen - Basic Radiology 2e
Ellis - Human Sectional Anatomy 4e
Felson - Principles of Chest Roentgenology 3e
Fleckenstein - Anatomy in Diagnostic Imaging 3e
Grainger - Diagnostic Radiology 6e
Grainger - Diagnostic Radiology Essentials
Herring - Learning Radiology 3e
Huda - Review of Radiologic Physics 3e
Kelley - Sectional Anatomy for Imaging Professionals 3e
Mandell - Core Radiology
Mettler - Essentials of Radiology 2e
Netter's - Concise Radiologic Anatomy 2e
O'Brien - Top 3 Differentials in Radiology
Ouellette - Clinical Radiology Made Ridiculously Simple
Pope - Aunt Minnie's Atlas and Imaging-Specific Diagnosis 4e
Pretorius - Radiology Secrets Plus 3e
Schering - MRI Made Easy - Well Almost
Weir - Imaging Atlas of Human Anatomy 4e
Weissleder - Primer on Diagnostic Imaging 5e

:( So you're saying this list is for M4 and PGY-1 and early R1. That's what I was trying to go for.
Your list is a hodge podge of review books, atlases, and general texts.

For an M4, I'd stick to Felson's + Whatever text is tested from your clerkship or Herring's Learning Radiology
For PGY-1, Don't worry about Radiology. Just survive internship. You'll surpass any learning you do within the first few months of PGY-2.

For R1:
Chest: Felson + Fundamentals of Body CT chest sections.
Abdomen: Fundamentals of Body CT Abdomen sections.
Fluoro: Protocols from the Barium Guru at your program or Fundamentals of Fluoroscopy by Houston. Practical Fluoroscopy by Levine to supplement.
MSK: Fundamentals of Skeletal Radiology by Helms and Arthritis in Black and White. Netter's Correlative MSK MRI Atlas is good for learning anatomy along with E-Anatomy.
Neuro: Requisites Neuro. HeadNeckBrainSpine website.
Ultrasound: Requisites Ultrasound, Diagnostic Ultrasound by Rumack for supplemental reference.
ER/Call Prep: Requisites ER
IR: Kandarpa Handbook for reference.
Mammo: Bi-Rads Book.
Nucs: Mettler Essentials of Nuclear Medicine
Peds: Donnelly Fundamentals of Pediatric Imaging

That should get you through your first rotation of each subspecialty.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the recommendations! At what point do you typically read each rotation's book? Do you try to read the whole thing before the rotation starts, do you read it during the course of the rotation, or do you just use it primarily as a reference for corresponding cases you see each day?

Thank you for the recommendations! At what point do you typically read each rotation's book? Do you try to read the whole thing before the rotation starts, do you read it during the course of the rotation, or do you just use it primarily as a reference for corresponding cases you see each day?
Personally I would start reading for the next rotation during the last week of the current rotation during first year.

For an M4, I'd stick to Felson's + Whatever text is tested from your clerkship or Herring's Learning Radiology
For PGY-1, Don't worry about Radiology. Just survive internship. You'll surpass any learning you do within the first few months of PGY-2.

For R1:
Fluoro: Protocols from the Barium Guru at your program or Fundamentals of Fluoroscopy by Houston. Practical Fluoroscopy by Levine to supplement.
MSK: Fundamentals of Skeletal Radiology by Helms and Arthritis in Black and White. Netter's Correlative MSK MRI Atlas is good for learning anatomy along with E-Anatomy.
Ultrasound: Requisites Ultrasound, Diagnostic Ultrasound by Rumack for supplemental reference.

Do you recommend reading these in addition to Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology or as a substitute?

Do you recommend reading these in addition to Fundamentals of Diagnostic Radiology or as a substitute?
Think B&H is really not that great/overrated. I think a better all encompassing first-stab book for the junior resident would be Core Radiology. That would be my substitute, with additional reading per rotation as practical.

Think B&H is really not that great/overrated. I think a better all encompassing first-stab book for the junior resident would be Core Radiology. That would be my substitute, with additional reading per rotation as practical.

Thanks, I took a look at a few pages on amazon, it looks.....dense....

I think I'll just go with the suggested readings in here per rotation. I've always been a proponent of reading the most comprehensive core book possible but this may not be efficient in residency. I read Big Robbins lol. I'll check out core radiology.

Thanks, I took a look at a few pages on amazon, it looks.....dense....

I think I'll just go with the suggested readings in here per rotation. I've always been a proponent of reading the most comprehensive core book possible but this may not be efficient in residency. I read Big Robbins lol. I'll check out core radiology.
Core Radiology is definitely much more readable than B&H, much fewer words, shorter sentences, more diagrams etc. I think it's a good survey and definitely well suited for R1s. We were forced to read B&H at my program, and I don't think it's the right choice anymore. But yes, you could just read per rotation and be fine

Core Radiology is definitely much more readable than B&H, much fewer words, shorter sentences, more diagrams etc. I think it's a good survey and definitely well suited for R1s. We were forced to read B&H at my program, and I don't think it's the right choice anymore. But yes, you could just read per rotation and be fine
Yea we are forced to read B & H for the program I matched so there goes that, but I think I'll still use Core radiology the subsequent years for a refresher on basics. I was told by a senior resident Body CT by Webb and Chest Essentials by Collins are also a good foundation for first year.

I'm hoping between readings and the first year lectures I can filter out what's high yield from B&H.

Yea we are forced to read B & H for the program I matched so there goes that, but I think I'll still use Core radiology the subsequent years for a refresher on basics. I was told by a senior resident Body CT by Webb and Chest Essentials by Collins are also a good foundation for first year.

I'm hoping between readings and the first year lectures I can filter out what's high yield from B&H.

How's VCU doing these days?

Any suggestions for ER besides Requisites?

I've been reading rotations in radiology: emergency radiology and supplementing it with images and scans looked up on radiopaedia (this would work with other ER books as well as most -no matter how image-rich they claim to be- do not contain enough images IMHO and it's always better to be able to scroll through a stack like you're at a pacs station. Also chzck out "one night at the ED" = 50 CT cases, scrollable and free ( exists both as a sote and as an app ) with good explanations of findings.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a love hate relationship with this Brent and Helms book, it's a good overview of radiology if you skim through it and figure out what the salient points are. They lose me when they start talking about pathology but I suppose that's important.

The respiratory section was ok but do I really need to read about 30 different causes of fibrosis that all look the same on imaging?

I'm going to finish most of the book and switch to core radiology.

What do you guys think of grainger and Allison diagnostic radiology? It's a bit pricey but relatively recently published

For R1:

Any updates/new books to add to this list, or still a solid approach?

www.radsconsult.com

It answers every question from whether or not to give IV or Oral Contrast, to when to withhold/reverse anticoagulation meds and minimum required anticoagulation parameters prior to any radiology procedure, to what imaging study to order for over 1,000 searchable diagnoses and symptoms. It also has every type of radiology exam and interventional radiology procedure you can think of with the common indications of when one would order such an exam, including all the variations of each exam with and without IV and/or Oral contrast. It's also evidence-based with ACR Appropriateness Criteria displayed when available next to each search.

You will be asked nearly all of the Most Common Radiology Q&A questions at some point throughout training. And it has all current up to date White Paper flow charts for incidental findings. The only single place on the web where they are up to date and compiled.

which radiology books would you recommend "for curling up on the couch" with and good for core prep?

Medical school/internship: read Learning Radiology: Recognizing the Basics
Week before rotation: read Core Radiology section relevant to upcoming rotation
During rotation (1st time): read basic book, such as Fundamentals of Body CT, Fundamentals of Skeletal Radiology, Fundamentals of Pediatric Imaging, Essentials of Nuclear Medicine Imaging, and selected books from The Requisites (e.g., Ultrasound)
During rotation (2nd time): read relevant Case Reviews +/- RadCases books
During rotation (3rd time or mini-fellowship): read more detailed book such as Stoller
During rotation (when encountering interesting or complex case): STATdx
During the year at random times (e.g., while eating breakfast, during commute, etc.): Aunt Minnie's Atlas and Imaging-Specific Diagnosis, Radiology Recall
Review for boards: read Crack the Core Exam, reread Core Radiology

Books not particularly helpful: Brandt and Helms

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Medical school/internship: read Learning Radiology: Recognizing the Basics
Week before rotation: read Core Radiology section relevant to upcoming rotation
During rotation (1st time): read basic book, such as Fundamentals of Body CT, Fundamentals of Skeletal Radiology, Fundamentals of Pediatric Imaging, Essentials of Nuclear Medicine Imaging, and selected books from The Requisites (e.g., Ultrasound)
During rotation (2nd time): read relevant Case Reviews +/- RadCases books
During rotation (3rd time or mini-fellowship): read more detailed book such as Stoller
During rotation (when encountering interesting or complex case): STATdx
During the year at random times (e.g., while eating breakfast, during commute, etc.): Aunt Minnie's Atlas and Imaging-Specific Diagnosis, Radiology Recall
Review for boards: read Crack the Core Exam, reread Core Radiology

Books not particularly helpful: Brandt and Helms

Great recommendations.

Any good books or websites for learning to how to read CTs?