Reasons NOT to attend NYCPM; GO...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podgrad17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a good reason why i should not attend nycpm, i hear so many mixed things about this school... Mostly negative, and im not sure if i would be making the right choice.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I actually hear a lot of negativity from students that went to Barry too and I'd like to know myself. Complaints are made for a reason...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd advise trying to get in contact with current NYCPM students to hear pros/cons from the horse's mouth. Every school has their ups and downs, the student that loves/hates it, etc. We have had great and poor students from every school.

Make a list of what you want to get out of a school and then match up your priorities with what they each have to offer.

I didn't go to NY so I can't offer an informed opinion one way or the other. Best of luck though.

Reactions: 1 user
Just don't forget that when it comes to reviews/complaints about anything in life, you'll always hear more from people with the bad than people with the good. If people are happy they are less likely to review/comment without reason as opposed to people trying to vent something in dramatic fashion. Not saying the complaints are false or anything, just take with a grain of salt

Reactions: 5 users
Some people like myself don't like big cities. The school was fine but I couldn't see myself living there for 4 years of my life. I need to see grass

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone have a good reason why i should not attend nycpm, i hear so many mixed things about this school... Mostly negative, and im not sure if i would be making the right choice.

Thanks

I actually hear a lot of negativity from students that went to Barry too and I'd like to know myself. Complaints are made for a reason...

I also have heard bad things about Barry and NYCPM. So if any students can comment that would be great!

What are these bad / negative things y'all are hearing? Care to share?

You'll learn every school has their own unique set of problems. Re: the schools mentioned above, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the squeakiest wheels are usually the ones that end up on these forums to broadcast their grievances- some merited, others not so much.

At the expense of bashing/stirring the pot/propagating second hand accounts... Some of the WORST things I've heard out of any of the schools have come from a school that is not mentioned above. Never hear a peep about that school on these forums though.

You'll learn every school has their own unique set of problems. Re: the schools mentioned above, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and the squeakiest wheels are usually the ones that end up on these forums to broadcast their grievances- some merited, others not so much.

At the expense of bashing/stirring the pot/propagating second hand accounts... Some of the WORST things I've heard out of any of the schools have come from a school that is not mentioned above. Never hear a peep about that school on these forums though.

How come no one is sharing? What are these bad things y'all have been told?

Last edited:
Is it true that if you attend NYCPM you are most likely to match in New York as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that if you attend NYCPM you are most likely to match in New York as well?

That seems to be true. And it goes for all the schools in their respective states. But, at NYCPM, people match all over the place, but certainly more in the Northeast!

http://www.nycpm.edu/outcomes.pdf

From what I hear, most of the NY programs aren't that great. It was only very recently that pods even got ankle privileges, I think 2014. But the most hospitals in the country are clustered in the NY/NJ area so it's not really that hard to get a NY program. All the top 1/4 of class 4th years I know at NYCPM are all going to programs outside NY so that should tell you something.

Reactions: 3 users

Yes. Just as if you go to Temple, you're much more likely to match at Philly programs, Barry with South FL programs, etc etc

Translation: when you choose your school be sure its a place you could possibly be for 7 years

Reactions: 3 users
Translation: when you choose your school be sure its a place you could possibly be for 7 years

Yeah, I heard docs usually practice close to where they went to school. ALL the docs I've shadowed here were alumni of NYCPM. When I went for my surgery, one of the two pod residents was an NYCPM grad and the other from Temple (Temple is not too far from NYCPM).

Interesting.

Yeah, I heard docs usually practice close to where they went to school. ALL the docs I've shadowed here were alumni of NYCPM. When I went for my surgery, one of the two pod residents was an NYCPM grad and the other from Temple (Temple is not too far from NYCPM).

Interesting.
Some do, some don't. I can only speak to DMU but if there is a trend, more people gravitate back toward family than school.

sorry for the delayed response, so my cousin is about to be graduating from here and is actually the one telling me not to go.

The stories i have heard just dont sound like a place i would want to spend the next 4 years. i was hoping to hear from other current students that could share their experiences as well.

sorry for the delayed response, so my cousin is about to be graduating from here and is actually the one telling me not to go.

The stories i have heard just dont sound like a place i would want to spend the next 4 years. i was hoping to hear from other current students that could share their experiences as well.

Well, what did your cousin say? He/she must have given you some details...

Interesting.
I'd say the trend, in addition to what @pacpod said about family, is not that people stay by where they went to school, but rather where they did their residency. There are way more graduates from schools than the area around a school can support. I don't know of anybody from my graduating class that is even still in Arizona. There might be some, but I can't think of any off of the top of my head

Interesting.

There was a study somewhere that was for alll physicians, not just Pods, but the majority of Physcians (I want to say 50%) ended up obtaining residency AND practicing within a 50 mile radius of where they went to school. I think this is more related to the fact that you're more likely to make connections/opportunities in the area closest to your school than anywhere else. Same reason you're able to get your first job out of residency somewhere near your school.

I chose Barry and that was a huge reason I came here. I see myself long term in FL and good luck finding a non-Barry DPM in Miami Dade county. If you go North or out to Orlando sure, but not down here. Not many at least.

Do we know what percentage of podiatrists practice in the 8 states with pod schools or is that something they've never looked at? Im surprised theres not a Texas school

NYCPM takes the longest to get back to you.. Just had my interview Wednesday and still waiting. Temple/Kent gave me an answer in 24 hrs, don't know if this is average.

To be honest, Harlem is probably safer, because there is a cop car every other block.

Reactions: 2 users
NYCPM takes the longest to get back to you.. Just had my interview Wednesday and still waiting. Temple/Kent gave me an answer in 24 hrs, don't know if this is average.

To be honest, Harlem is probably safer, because there is a cop car every other block.

How the interview go compared to other schools? And, any idea how many seats are still available? Thanks!

They didn't want to give me any scholarship money. I got accepted, I was looking for atleast 4,000$.

What's up.. It seems that no one in this thread goes to NYCPM and is just speculating so ask away.

But to answer a few things asked already: yeah NY programs are good but not great (though some top students go to NY programs, like LIJ on long island is well known).

If you go here you have a great chance of landing a NY program, if that is what you want.

What's up.. It seems that no one in this thread goes to NYCPM and is just speculating so ask away.

But to answer a few things asked already: yeah NY programs are good but not great (though some top students go to NY programs, like LIJ on long island is well known).

If you go here you have a great chance of landing a NY program, if that is what you want.
In your opinion what are some things that you would change about the school?
Is there anything you would tell yourself before attending podiatry school?

Last edited:
In your opinion what are some things that you would change about the school?
Is there anything you would tell yourself before attending podiatry school?

Good questions.

1) What would I change? The attendance policy, it really sucks (I can go into more detail if you'd like). Some of the teachers aren't great, but then on the other hand there are some pretty fantastic lecturers, the "breaks" we have... after first year there is a 3 week summer "vacation" while most schools get a few months. The fourth semester is long (november - april) and ****ty with lots of tests and unnecessary classes w/ tons of overlap - I would want to change the curriculum to remove some of those classes, and lastly, the policies with tests and repeat questions/challenging questions/etc is pretty stupid. Don't get me wrong, the school isn't perfect, but I am pretty sure every school (pod, md, do, masters, etc) has its fair share of bull**** that people have to deal with, so you gotta remember that too.

2) Get good at time management lol. The classes arent per se difficult, but there is a **** ton of info needed to study for the majority of tests, so you gotta put your axe to the grind stone more often than not - so, learn how to budget your time so you can enjoy your hobbies. But coming from undergrad the classes here aren't too much more "difficult", it is just a lot more info you need to squeeze in a shorter amount of time.

Good questions.

1) What would I change? The attendance policy, it really sucks (I can go into more detail if you'd like). Some of the teachers aren't great, but then on the other hand there are some pretty fantastic lecturers, the "breaks" we have... after first year there is a 3 week summer "vacation" while most schools get a few months. The fourth semester is long (november - april) and ****ty with lots of tests and unnecessary classes w/ tons of overlap - I would want to change the curriculum to remove some of those classes, and lastly, the policies with tests and repeat questions/challenging questions/etc is pretty stupid. Don't get me wrong, the school isn't perfect, but I am pretty sure every school (pod, md, do, masters, etc) has its fair share of bull**** that people have to deal with, so you gotta remember that too.

2) Get good at time management lol. The classes arent per se difficult, but there is a **** ton of info needed to study for the majority of tests, so you gotta put your axe to the grind stone more often than not - so, learn how to budget your time so you can enjoy your hobbies. But coming from undergrad the classes here aren't too much more "difficult", it is just a lot more info you need to squeeze in a shorter amount of time.

What year are you in?

Can you talk a little about years 3 and 4? I think in 3 you're mostly in the Foot Clinic next door, but in 4th you get to rotate around as externs? How is the Mount Sinai rotation? Are you guys still having 2 exams per week in year 1? Is there a review before an exam?

Also, how many from your class have dropped out due to failing or any other reason?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What year are you in?

Can you talk a little about years 3 and 4? I think in 3 you're mostly in the Foot Clinic next door, but in 4th you get to rotate around as externs? How is the Mount Siani rotation? Are you guys still having 2 exams per week in year 1? Is there a review before an exam?

Also, how many from your class have dropped out due to failing or any other reason?

Thanks!

Year: 2018, year 3 you have class every morning from 730 to 9 and then afterwards rotate at several hospitals as well as the foot clinic depending on your rotation (medicine, ortho, surg). The hospitals in general are much more helpful than the clinic as the volume of patients is much higher. Mt. sinai got cancelled sadly. At the end of 3rd year there is capstone which is a complete **** show of an exam (supposed to be prep for boards part 2).. Year 4: you pick 5 externships and do those, with a few mandatory months at school. year 1 is getting different each year, but yeah probably 6-7 weeks of the semester there will be 2 exams. Depending on the class sometimes there is a review, but they're not always helpful for all classes. Sometimes they are during school hours sometimes they are afterwards and led by students. Uhh I don't know the total number since we've had a few foreign MDs join our class, but I imagine 10-12 have dropped and we are mid 80s now? I know that the anatomy class is different than when I took it and it's not "fill in the blank and spelling counts" but multiple choice, so I think less people may drop after anatomy now.

Last edited:
Year: 2018, year 3 you have class every morning from 730 to 9 and then afterwards rotate at several hospitals as well as the foot clinic depending on your rotation (medicine, ortho, surg). The hospitals in general are much more helpful than the clinic as the volume of patients is much higher. Mt. sinai got cancelled sadly. At the end of 3rd year there is capstone which is a complete **** show of an exam (supposed to be prep for boards part 2).. Year 4: you pick 5 externships and do those, with a few mandatory months at school. year 1 is getting different each year, but yeah probably 6-7 weeks of the semester there will be 2 exams. Depending on the class sometimes there is a review, but they're not always helpful for all classes. Sometimes they are during school hours sometimes they are afterwards and led by students. Uhh I don't know the total number since we've had a few foreign MDs join our class, but I imagine 10-12 have dropped and we are mid 80s now? I know that the anatomy class is different than when I took it and it's not "fill in the blank and spelling counts" but multiple choice, so I think less people may drop after anatomy now.

How many students dropped from your class over the years? Do you know why most of them dropped?

Good questions.

I have heard a lot of complaints about the attendance policy whereas most other podiatry schools do not have it. Have student brought their concerns up to administration? Do you think they will ever budge on it?

One thing I am concerned about mentioned in the thread linked here is that some professors take attendance earlier than when you're technically supposed to be there. Have you experienced that?

So you c an take this with a grain of salt, but I did shadow 3 different podiatrists and two of them told me not to go to the New York Pod program. Both were older, maybe 50's or so. But apparently NYCPM had a very bad reputation in their days as did the students they were churning out. That's not to say that now the school may be great and all, but I know that 2 different podiatrists from different states had an unfavorable view of that program and probably others from their time/generation probably share that opinion. I'm not sure, small sample size, but it was what I had to go off of.

Again I'm sure lots has changed and NYCPM is a great program now, but I can only say how 2 older podiatrists that I shadowed viewed that school.
Will these podiatrists and their generation be retiring soonish? Probably. But this and several other things that has been mentioned in this thread already factored into my own personal decision to not go there.

How many students dropped from your class over the years? Do you know why most of them dropped?
I think we started around 100 people and now its 86 or so? We also added a few foreign (Egyptian) MD students, so maybe the total number is around 15-20? Most of them purely academic (failing multiple classes), a few with health problems/family concerns, and 2 of them from failing part 1 twice.

I have heard a lot of complaints about the attendance policy whereas most other podiatry schools do not have it. Have student brought their concerns up to administration? Do you think they will ever budge on it?

One thing I am concerned about mentioned in the thread linked here is that some professors take attendance earlier than when you're technically supposed to be there. Have you experienced that?
Yeah students have brought it up but they wont get rid of it for whatever reason. Probably won't ever get rid of it if I had to guess. Some people like it since it keeps them motivated, a lot of people hate it because we have a decent amount of commuters who are traveling several hours and sometimes it's just for one class. What is nice is that if you do miss class, there is a capture system and you can watch it online later (which most schools have but I don't think all of them do).

Yeah there have been a few cases, but I think they were flukes and hopefully wont happen again - not that it'll really matter soon since all of my year will be out extern-ing lol.

So you c an take this with a grain of salt, but I did shadow 3 different podiatrists and two of them told me not to go to the New York Pod program. Both were older, maybe 50's or so. But apparently NYCPM had a very bad reputation in their days as did the students they were churning out. That's not to say that now the school may be great and all, but I know that 2 different podiatrists from different states had an unfavorable view of that program and probably others from their time/generation probably share that opinion. I'm not sure, small sample size, but it was what I had to go off of.

Again I'm sure lots has changed and NYCPM is a great program now, but I can only say how 2 older podiatrists that I shadowed viewed that school.
Will these podiatrists and their generation be retiring soonish? Probably. But this and several other things that has been mentioned in this thread already factored into my own personal decision to not go there.

I mean the school isn't perfect but lol it's a much different time now than 30 years ago. Both the profession and the school

I have yet to hear a concrete reason not to attend NYCPM. All the "issues" stated so far are student dependent and most of them happen at every other Pod school more or less.

Even Harvard has issues :cigar:

Nycpm is a solid school. Although, I went with the school whom offered me the most $. I'm in Brooklyn or manhattan most of my summer months, so I also wanted to switch it up to Philly.