Reasonable Matching Goals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waskerley

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year DO student who is starting to get the Match anxiety. I would like someone to either slap some harsh sense into me or provide cooing reassurance. Either way is fine with me.

I have loved all of my rotations so far this year, but when I think about what I find most interesting, the answer is Gen Surg.

Step 1 was a 218 first time (ehh, I know, just shy that magic cutoff). COMLEX was also unremarkable (530.)

Preclinical grades are average (A and Bs). Clinical grades have been fantastic thus far with all-honors. Additionally, I work hard and people like me.

Since I seem to rub people the right way in person, I was planning on doing as many aways as possible at DO programs in the hopes someone will take a shine to me. Is this a reasonable goal? Or should I aim for something less competitive? Or should I try to apply to two specialties?

I don't particularly care where I end up. Its just 5 years and I've lived in rural Cow-country before, so I can do it again.

Members don't see this ad.

Kill it on Step 2 and apply broadly and you definitely have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I would really research the programs as much as possible when you audition there. Check which match they're planning to be in, make sure they applied for ACGME accreditation already, did they get accredited yet, etc.

If you do well in person, auditions are the way to go, and I'd line up as many as you can between May and Sept, after you take Step 2. I would avoid doing auditions during peak interview season (Oct, Nov, Dec), but if you need to, then go for it. It wouldn't really hurt anything but your wallet to also apply ACGME, but I wouldn't put too much into it and mainly apply to places that seem "more" attainable.

Because you're not the strongest applicant numbers-wise, I would recommend a backup, or at least a TRI/pre-lim surg backup, but again don't let it get in the way of your primary goal, focus on GenSurg, and when your ducks are in a row, get the stuff you need to for your backup set up.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it; you have no idea!

Is there any reason you recommend avoiding auditions during interview season? One of the student coordinators we work with said he thought that was the best time (for his program, at least).

Hey, thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it; you have no idea!

Is there any reason you recommend avoiding auditions during interview season? One of the student coordinators we work with said he thought that was the best time (for his program, at least).

Interviews are very distributive to your schedule and I'd imagine having to miss 2 or more days per week of an audition wouldn't leave a great impression. Plus, doing them early allows you to assess if it's somewhere you'd like to go, likely secure an interview spot, and possibly get an LOR if you want one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Interviews are very distributive to your schedule and I'd imagine having to miss 2 or more days per week of an audition wouldn't leave a great impression. Plus, doing them early allows you to assess if it's somewhere you'd like to go, likely secure an interview spot, and possibly get an LOR if you want one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yeah, you will absolutely not be able to miss 2 days a week for interviews on an audition. I've heard the words 2-3 days for interviews in a 4-wk rotation being described as pushing it.

In your situation, you don't want to be put in the position of either looking bad at the program you're auditioning in vs. turning down interviews.

Sure its nice to audition during interview season because then you'll be able to interview while you're there, which is great, but I wouldn't set up auditions throughout all of the busiest interview months only to be faced with that choice.

Reactions: 1 users