Reapplying and Doing Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied in the 2015-2016 cycle and received only one II that turned into a WL. I believe my low MCAT and the downward trend in GPA were the two biggest issues. I had to take a semester off in my junior year due to family emergency and my own health issue that required a surgery. I wasn't ready to go back to school after that summer ended but I did anyway, and as a result my grades suffered. It's a decision that I regret to this day.

This past year I've retaken the MCAT, and I've also got into VCOM's post-bacc programs that starts in July. VCOM offers great linkage to their DO programs if I can maintain a certain GPA in the program, so I want to take advantage of that. It will also allow me to prove to myself that I can handle the rigor of the med school coursework. However, I still want to apply to other MD and DO schools just in case something happens. I want to practice EM or primary care so I don't care if I become an MD or a DO.

MCAT:
509 (128, 125, 130, 126)
27 (10, 8, 9)

GPA:
4.00 (freshman)
3.85 (sophomore)
2.98 (junior, one semester only, got a C in biochemistry)
2.74 (senior, 4 C's in upper division science classes)
4.00 (DIY post-bacc at local CC, some retakes and some new classes)

cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.43

ECs:
>3000 hrs ED Tech (one LOR from an ER doctor)
2000 hrs EMT on ambulance
1500 hrs biochemistry research with one publication (one LOR from the PI)
20 hrs shadowing a general surgeon (one LOR from the surgeon)
>1000 hrs of various community services (ER, soup kitchen, service trip, high school mentor, food bank...)

MD School List (median MCAT, cGPA, sGPA):
  1. UCI* (512, 3.82, 3.80)
  2. UCR* (508, 3.74, 3.70)
  3. UCLA* (508, 3.79, 3.77)
  4. UCSD* (517, 3.84, 3.81)
  5. UCSF* (516, 3.84, 3.83)
  6. UCD* (509, 3.72, 3.67)
  7. USC (515, 3.76, 3.73)
  8. Loma Linda* (508, 3.86, 3.82)
  9. California Northstate (513, 3.58, 3.49) (not sure if I should apply here)
  10. George Washington* (511, 3.72, 3.65)
  11. Tulane* (511, 3.62, 3.51)
  12. Howard* (502, 3.41, 3.23)
  13. Oakland* (507, 3.79, 3.73)
  14. Penn State* (509, 3.82, 3.78)
  15. Albany (510, 3.68, 3.62)
  16. Medical College of Wisconsin* (510, 3.76, 3.72)
  17. Chicago Medical School* (511, 3.62, 3.56)
  18. Drexel (511, 3.73, 3.69)
  19. Rush* (512, 3.73, 3.68)
  20. Quinnipiac* (512, 3.68, 3.61)
  21. Creighton* (510, 3.81, 3.76)
* = reapplicant

I'm a FAP recipient so I can apply to 15 schools for free. Should I take out more schools that I'm a reapplicant to and add more new schools? I'm a CA resident and that's why I'm applying to all the UC's even though I basically have zero chance of getting into any of them. Should I take them out and add more OOS schools? I'll also be applying to ~10 DO schools.

Side question: Where do I mention that I'll be attending VCOM's post-bac in AMCAS and AACOMAS?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not waste your FAP on schools where you have little prospect for an interview!
Howard is an HBCU.
Northstate denied its students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms.
Is your practice of medicine for the purpose of serving Christ? If your answer is anything less than an enthusiastic yes, (and you either drink or have sex outside of marriage), delete LLU.
Do you have a validated commitment to the people of the IE, if not delete UCR.
What has changed that would make you a strong candidate for the other CA schools?

Do not waste your FAP on schools where you have little prospect for an interview!
Howard is an HBCU.
Northstate denied its students access to federal loans and payback mechanisms.
Is your practice of medicine for the purpose of serving Christ? If your answer is anything less than an enthusiastic yes, (and you either drink or have sex outside of marriage), delete LLU.
Do you have a validated commitment to the people of the IE, if not delete UCR.
What has changed that would make you a strong candidate for the other CA schools?

Thank you, @gyngyn , for your time! I did improve the MCAT by a few points. Yes, I applied with a 27 last time and that was very foolish of me. I also have more than 5000 hours of clinical experience now. I know my MCAT and GPA are still on the lower end for all the CA schools, so should I just not apply to any of them?
The reason why I applied to UCR was because my fiancé is a firefighter paramedic in the IE and I go there a lot even though I don't live there. Does that show a validated commitment? Or do I have to be married and live there to apply? Also, I'll be moving to VA to attend VCOM's post-bac even though it's only one year, I don't know if UCR will view that as a bad thing. Part of me still want to apply to UCR because it's one of my top choices and I really could be living in the IE one day, but part of me is relieved to not have to write that intense 10-page secondary again if I don't apply...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, @gyngyn , for your time! I did improve the MCAT by a few points. Yes, I applied with a 27 last time and that was very foolish of me. I also have more than 5000 hours of clinical experience now. I know my MCAT and GPA are still on the lower end for all the CA schools, so should I just not apply to any of them?
The reason why I applied to UCR is because my fiancé is a firefighter paramedic in the IE and I go there a lot even though I don't live there. Does that show a validated commitment? Or do I have to be married and live there to apply? Also, I'll be moving to VA to attend VCOM's post-bac even though it's only one year, I don't know if UCR will view that as a bad thing. Part of me still want to apply to UCR because it's one of my top choices and I really could be living in the IE one day, but part of me is relieved to not have to write that intense 10-page secondary again if I don't apply...
Well, you would appear to have a stronger connection to the IE than thousands of other applicants who apply here.
If you have sexual relations with your fiance, at least delete LLU...

Reactions: 1 users
How many total credits / average semester credit hour load during your DIY post bacc?

If you're going to do this post-bacc anyway, I think you need to wait until after you finish it to apply if you're serious about applying MD. Some light fluffing at the end isn't going to turn any heads with that lethal GPA trend line. (and I know waiting that long is much easier said than done... but if you want strategy and not luck, that's what you need to do)

MD Admissions is going to see a 2.74 and a 509 - you're an academic probation just waiting to happen to them. Better to be a second time applicant with big changes than a third time applicant with sluggish incremental improvements.

However you could apply DO same cycle and snag some acceptances though if you already retook the bad grades out of your core pre-req's.

How many total credits / average semester credit hour load during your DIY post bacc?

If you're going to do this post-bacc anyway, I think you need to wait until after you finish it to apply if you're serious about applying MD. Some light fluffing at the end isn't going to turn any heads with that lethal GPA trend line. (and I know waiting that long is much easier said than done... but if you want strategy and not luck, that's what you need to do)

MD Admissions is going to see a 2.74 and a 509 - you're an academic probation just waiting to happen to them. Better to be a second time applicant with big changes than a third time applicant with sluggish incremental improvements.

However you could apply DO same cycle and snag some acceptances though if you already retook the bad grades out of your core pre-req's.

Thank you so much for your input. I think you just spoke my mind. This is exactly why I've been having a hard time working on my AMCAS because I don't know if it's worth applying this year. The only two reasons why I'm still thinking about applying are: 1) I retook the MCAT just so I could apply again (VCOM accepted my old score and I basically just need to do well do get in their DO program) 2) this year is the last year I'll be able to use my FAP.

I did three semesters of DIY post bacc. Nine units in the first semester, eight in the second, and 16 in the third. I was only able to replace three of the five C's.

Maybe I should just focus on doing well in the post-bacc program so I can go straight to their DO program and maybe apply to a few other DO schools?

Maybe I should just focus on doing well in the post-bacc program so I can go straight to their DO program and maybe apply to a few other DO schools?

Hmm, well as long as you're certain this will be your last cycle regardless because it is a confirmed linkage to your host-DO program, you might as well still try UCR, UCD, new Michigan schools, etc. ... 33CR might be enough, but the CR-density is not ideal.

Just don't spread yourself too thin trying to coordinate application requirements at 30 MD/DO schools ..... pick the couple MD schools where you would regret not applying and then whichever DO schools you would take over your current institution and move on. Find a light (2-3 hrs/week) volunteering activity early on that you can consistently do during the post-bacc and try to diversify your shadowing hours (you're not over the finish line yet).
Other than that, nose to the grindstone and make a point of actively participating and getting to know the faculty so you can send an update letter plus a new LoR after fall semester (use Interfolio and send it wherever you send the update letters to); There's nothing more tedious than trying to write an evaluation about someone who made no impression on you.

Reactions: 1 user