Reapplicant, retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacquean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advice!! This would be my third time applying and I know the main thing holding me back is my MCAT score. The first time I applied in 2015-2016 I was waitlisted at a newer school, the second time I applied was this last year in 2016-2017 and I am still currently waitlisted at a more established school. The first cycle I applied late-ish in August/Sept with an interview in January and this last cycle was early in June with an interview in August. I believe that this upcoming cycle I am a bit stronger of an applicant as I have 3 more abstracts to add as well as a new research position at the VA. My question is whether these would be significant enough of changes to reapply this 3rd cycle or if you think I should retake my MCAT for an August 2017 date, but with only studying from now until then (horrible idea I know, but its my 3rd time taking the MCAT). My only concern is that after submitting my app sometime in July, would schools not look at it fully until my score in September? Also with such a small time frame to study again, if it is even worth it or if I should just take my chances one more time with these new experiences to add. I am also taking another physiology course in the fall at a local community college. My stats are as follows:

GPA: 3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA (not sure how the new grading scale will apply though since I did a post back with a couple of retakes)
MCAT: 495, 496, ___?
A lot of research experience with publications (some as primary author), honors anthropology thesis
Great LORs

Thank you so much for your time and help! I greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, your MCAT is absolutely holding you back. You have decent grades and good ECs (I assume you have clinical volunteering and shadowing?) But a sub-500 score will get you screened out because it shows you're struggling with tests - either you're a bad test taker or you don't know the information being tested. Multiple choice tests will be your life in med school, and a strong MCAT shows that you can perform.

In my opinion, since you're taking it for the third time, this test is your make or break. If you can't score significantly higher (like 505 or above), then you need to consider other options. In that regard, I would suggest you take this test very seriously. Give yourself ample time to study the material, perhaps use a prep class, or even take a course over again. That might mean you don't get to apply this cycle, but a strong test score will make up for it next cycle. On the flip side, if you don't improve your test score, then you've saved yourself the application fees and you can re-evaluate your career path.

Take some time to read about MCAT study methods in the SDN forums or reddit. You might think about taking it in the spring of 2018, which will then be ready before your application starts. Good luck, and feel free to reach out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would do a SMP with linkage.

If I remember correctly, you were on the LECOM waitlist. Same here. I would do the post bacc program, as they gaurentee a seat if you get over a 3.0 in their program.

I would do a SMP with linkage.

If I remember correctly, you were on the LECOM waitlist. Same here. I would do the post bacc program, as they gaurentee a seat if you get over a 3.0 in their program.

SMPs are for grade repair. Her GPA is sufficient, but she needs to prove she can handle the test taking. MCAT is far cheaper and quicker.

SMPs are for grade repair. Her GPA is sufficient, but she needs to prove she can handle the test taking. MCAT is far cheaper and quicker.

Not if you're stuck on it. LECOM requires a 40% percentile, which she has.

Not if you're stuck on it. LECOM requires a 40% percentile, which she has.

My concern would still be test taking ability. Let's say she gets through the SMP, gets into LECOM med school, and now she's at COMLEX 1. If she has a problem taking long, broad exams, she's going to have the same problems with COMLEX that she now has with the MCAT. So now she's spent 3 years and $100k+, but now she can't bypass the problem like she did with the MCAT.

OP, I'm not saying you have this problem, I'm just giving an example of how it's better to solve the issue in 3 months with far less money (even if you took a very expensive prep course) than it would be to bypass the problem and worry about it later. Your grades and everything else seem to be fine, so the SMP would be a lot of extra work and money and it would include the possibility of failure (by not doing well/getting accepted).

TLDR: MCAT prep your heart out. It's the cheaper, faster, and easier choice. Worst case is that you don't improve. SMP is expensive, a lot of work, risk of failure, and risks delaying the (possibly) inevitable.

I need advice!! This would be my third time applying and I know the main thing holding me back is my MCAT score. The first time I applied in 2015-2016 I was waitlisted at a newer school, the second time I applied was this last year in 2016-2017 and I am still currently waitlisted at a more established school. The first cycle I applied late-ish in August/Sept with an interview in January and this last cycle was early in June with an interview in August. I believe that this upcoming cycle I am a bit stronger of an applicant as I have 3 more abstracts to add as well as a new research position at the VA. My question is whether these would be significant enough of changes to reapply this 3rd cycle or if you think I should retake my MCAT for an August 2017 date, but with only studying from now until then (horrible idea I know, but its my 3rd time taking the MCAT). My only concern is that after submitting my app sometime in July, would schools not look at it fully until my score in September? Also with such a small time frame to study again, if it is even worth it or if I should just take my chances one more time with these new experiences to add. I am also taking another physiology course in the fall at a local community college. My stats are as follows:

GPA: 3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA (not sure how the new grading scale will apply though since I did a post back with a couple of retakes)
A lot of research experience with publications (some as primary author), honors anthropology thesis
Great LORs

I would recommend re-taking the MCAT. Even if you only improve by 1 point, you are still showing a trend in the right direction. Hopefully you can improve by 5-10 points though and bolster your case! Also, you can list on the AMCAS application that you are re-taking the MCAT for a future date so schools will know, and they may even hold your application until they get the newer score. Be aware that schools have a latest MCAT accepted date, so try to make sure the school you are applying to will consider your latest scores as well.

Do not re-take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success.
Every weak MCAT is an impediment to success. A long string of weak scores is a powerful deterrent.
No school has to wait for a pending MCAT to make a decision on your application, so do not apply this cycle. Take all the time you need to get a significantly better score.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Only retake the MCAT until you KNOW you can do very very good! If you take it again and do bad I dont think it will look good for you.

Jacquean, as difficult as it is for you to hear and me to say, yes, I would strongly encourage you to sit for the MCAT a third time. However, I would suggest that you might sit out a cycle, do some scribing or healthcare work in the interim which will reinforce your motivation. Then do some serious soul-searching about your approach to standardized test-taking. As a previous poster wrote, a third score within the same couple of points would only serve to reinforce that is the level of performance you are able to attain. This gives pause for concern for admissions committees because they know you will have to pass Step I to enter the 3rd year of medical school. It would be similar to a couple of years of undergrad with all Bs in your coursework. You could easily conclude that the student was indeed a B student. So, you want time and performance to separate you from your earlier attempts. You might also consider whether the score is a reflection of your understanding of the material. Sometimes additional coursework can benefit in the areas where you may have lacked a depth and breadth of knowledge. I was the Director of Admissions and Recruitment at an allopathic med school for 15 years before retiring last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great LORs

Looks like you got plenty of responses already but figured I'd message too haha. Definitely should take more time to study for it, at least in my opinion! And if you're trying to make it this time for sure, you can use the extra time to also reaffirm your commitment to medicine with even more clinical experience if you have the time to volunteer/work. Hope this helps, but if you feel the advice doesn't apply feel free to ignore it- everyone has different paths to medical school after all.