Really Need Help Regarding Medical Studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firas Baklouti

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum. I am going to the 4th year in University of Ottawa (Canada) Biomedical sciences program. I am also a Tunisian student so I am there as an international student. I am very interested in working as a cardiologist and preferably in the united states. Studying in US is very expensive so I have the following options, if you can help me out:

-Work after I finish my degree in Canada and obtain canadian PR and study in Canada then work in US.
-Study in Europe, and find a route towards working in US (some people do this through internship, but I dont know how).
-Study in Tunisia and do and internship in US?

OR find an affordable way to study in US and work there, but it seems not possible

Any help regarding what I should do and were to study next would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum. I am going to the 4th year in University of Ottawa (Canada) Biomedical sciences program. I am also a Tunisian student so I am there as an international student. I am very interested in working as a cardiologist and preferably in the united states. Studying in US is very expensive so I have the following options, if you can help me out:

-Work after I finish my degree in Canada and obtain canadian PR and study in Canada then work in US.
-Study in Europe, and find a route towards working in US (some people do this through internship, but I dont know how).
-Study in Tunisia and do and internship in US?

OR find an affordable way to study in US and work there, but it seems not possible

Any help regarding what I should do and were to study next would be really appreciated.
Thanks in advance
So, when it comes to IMGs, Canadians have a few issues in regard to US training if you were to get your permanent residency there. They are only allowed to train in certain fields (you have to get a certificate of need) and the vast majority end up in primary care, psychiatry, or other less desirable fields. If you go to Europe, you will be able to apply wherever, but the difficulty is that you'll be a non-US IMG, so matching will be difficult (and the less well known your medical school is, the more difficult things will become). Your chances of matching out of a Tunisian school are very low, probably barely over 10%. So unless you want to practice in Tunisia, I'd go with a school in the US, Canada, or Europe, but whichever way you go, plan on staying in the US, Canada, or whichever European country you train in because there's very little guarantee you'll match into the US, and even less chance you'll end up in cardiology.

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

From what I heard, many doctors leave Canada and go to the USA to work. How do they do it? do they do an internship there and then their residency there too? Would it be possible to only do residency there?
Is it just the general doctors or family doctors that go to USA without problems?

Another question on Canada, if I study in Canada, I do not have to do the USMLE right? However from Europe, I would have to?

I also saw the Palo Alto Medical foundation website, some doctors studied at Nigeria and Ukraine but did their internship and residency in California. Is that a possible route if I studied in europe? say like germany?

Germany seems like a good option for me because of free education, would help me out alot. But I do not want to be confined to German speaking countries.

The USMLE is only if you want to practice in the US. We don't have internships here, just residencies.