Really need advice from older colleagues (Anesthesia Vs Psych)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short:

Finished med. school (not in US) in 2009, was very concerned about potential $$ an started residency in orthopedics ... hated it, was bored, hated THR and TKR after just couple of surgeries so I dropped in 2013, learned language, found job as non-surgical orthopedist in PM&R clinic and moved to Germany in 2013, worked there for 3 years while preparing myself for GWP (local USMLe analogue) passed it 2 weeks ago and now its time to choose my future speciality (Im 33 a.t.m.)

here comes tricky part: I always was interested in Psy but in PM&R I loved to work with pain pts. and since in med. school (and ortho residency) I found anesthesia very compelling to me, I am split between those to, in next week I have 3 Job interviews (both psy and anesthesia) and Im still not sure what is best for me, thus I would be very thankful for any advice (except advice to read old threads, have done it already)

Psy +s for me: 1.interest 2.lifestyle 3.relatively easy to find a job in Europe

Psy -s for me:
1. having mental issues myself (GAD, Depression and cannabis abuse) which I was not able to clear not only by myself but with help from therapist as well, have still lots of unanswered questions
2. Nothing is ''clear'' as in surgery and that makes angst (is this my GAD?)
3. I have absolutely no idea what it takes to work in Psy (I have done rotation and ellective for 1 mo, but not more)
4. I don't want to practice general Psy. mostly because of not feeling at ease with psy. patients, my end destination will be: either addiction medicine or child-and-adolescent psychiatry&Psychotherapy
5. I have this idea stuck in my head that it won't be enough just to work as psychiatrist, I have to do research too and probably won't have any significant results

Anesthesia +s

1. being able to develop skills and work as ''real doctor'' (I love being in hospital and working in team) plust I love working with my hands
2. $
3. I dont have any issues with surgeons being hard to communicate (being ex. surgeon myself) I really don't have any fear of this
4. relatively easy to find a job in Europe
5. You go home and forget your patients! after your job is done
6. Perspective to add Pain medicine + PM&R in future

Anesthesia -s

1. playing mostly supportive role for whole of your life (is it right?)
2. potential disasterous cases (I have fears that I will fail to save my pt.)

My head is boiling : I

Any advice is very welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

Long story short:

Finished med. school (not in US) in 2009, was very concerned about potential $$ an started residency in orthopedics ... hated it, was bored, hated THR and TKR after just couple of surgeries so I dropped in 2013, learned language, found job as non-surgical orthopedist in PM&R clinic and moved to Germany in 2013, worked there for 3 years while preparing myself for GWP (local USMLe analogue) passed it 2 weeks ago and now its time to choose my future speciality (Im 33 a.t.m.)

here comes tricky part: I always was interested in Psy but in PM&R I loved to work with pain pts. and since in med. school (and ortho residency) I found anesthesia very compelling to me, I am split between those to, in next week I have 3 Job interviews (both psy and anesthesia) and Im still not sure what is best for me, thus I would be very thankful for any advice (except advice to read old threads, have done it already)

Psy +s for me: 1.interest 2.lifestyle 3.relatively easy to find a job in Europe

Psy -s for me:
1. having mental issues myself (GAD, Depression and cannabis abuse) which I was not able to clear not only by myself but with help from therapist as well, have still lots of unanswered questions
2. Nothing is ''clear'' as in surgery and that makes angst (is this my GAD?)
3. I have absolutely no idea what it takes to work in Psy (I have done rotation and ellective for 1 mo, but not more)
4. I don't want to practice general Psy. mostly because of not feeling at ease with psy. patients, my end destination will be: either addiction medicine or child-and-adolescent psychiatry&Psychotherapy
5. I have this idea stuck in my head that it won't be enough just to work as psychiatrist, I have to do research too and probably won't have any significant results

Anesthesia +s

1. being able to develop skills and work as ''real doctor'' (I love being in hospital and working in team) plust I love working with my hands
2. $
3. I dont have any issues with surgeons being hard to communicate (being ex. surgeon myself) I really don't have any fear of this
4. relatively easy to find a job in Europe
5. You go home and forget your patients! after your job is done
6. Perspective to add Pain medicine + PM&R in future

Anesthesia -s

1. playing mostly supportive role for whole of your life (is it right?)
2. potential disasterous cases (I have fears that I will fail to save my pt.)

My head is boiling : I

Any advice is very welcomed!
I hear anesthesia is very different in the US vs Europe. Most people here are from the US so that's what they'd know best. You might try posting this on the European forum as well?

From your list it sounds like you prefer anesthesia more. If the practice environment of anesthesia in Europe (Germany) is good, then I'd personally pick anesthesia over psych, but I never liked psych much. I'm also not sure about going into psych if you have psych issues yourself. That seems like it might be like going into anesthesia if you have drug addiction issues, though also not sure what you mean by your cannabis abuse, if that is still an ongoing issue for you? Just a couple of considerations from my limited perspective. Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Last edited:
I think most Psychiatrists have some issues. That is what attracts them to the profession in the first place. And the market for Psychiatrists is fabulous right now. If you work surgeon's hours you can make surgeon level money in Psychiatry. If you choose a more relaxed lifestyle, that is also available in Psychiatry. As far as your fear of not being able to save the patient, the stress in Anesthesia is real. However, when you finish residency you will be well trained. You will "save" the patient every day by making a smooth intubation, treating hypotension, transfusing blood, and asking for help from your colleagues when you recognize that a second set of hands would be beneficial. When you don't save the patient, usually it was meant to be, or someone made a poor decision about proceeding to surgery (perhaps it was you). Anxiety may be a part of your makeup, but you certainly will become a hardened professional by the time you graduate residency or you will realize the profession is not for you and you will switch again. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do psych, and get involved in chronic pain.
Most chronic pain patients benefit more from psych input than anything anaesthetists do

Reactions: 1 users
I think most Psychiatrists have some issues. That is what attracts them to the profession in the first place. And the market for Psychiatrists is fabulous right now. If you work surgeon's hours you can make surgeon level money in Psychiatry. If you choose a more relaxed lifestyle, that is also available in Psychiatry. As far as your fear of not being able to save the patient, the stress in Anesthesia is real. However, when you finish residency you will be well trained. You will "save" the patient every day by making a smooth intubation, treating hypotension, transfusing blood, and asking for help from your colleagues when you recognize that a second set of hands would be beneficial. When you don't save the patient, usually it was meant to be, or someone made a poor decision about proceeding to surgery (perhaps it was you). Anxiety may be a part of your makeup, but you certainly will become a hardened professional by the time you graduate residency or you will realize the profession is not for you and you will switch again. Good luck!

Psych makes as much as Ortho Surgeons and Anesthesiologists these days?

Psych makes as much as Ortho Surgeons and Anesthesiologists these days?

Depends on how many extra shifts they work. The Psychiatry lifestyle for the $240k they can make is relatively low key. Add in extra shifts and call and they can easily make a very substantial increase. Probably not Ortho height though. ;) Did you know that when Psychiatrists say they take call from home, they mean it? Call means answering the phone at home, dictating or entering a few orders and going back to bed. It is not like getting called for a stat trauma in the middle of the night from the call room at the hospital!

I hear anesthesia is very different in the US vs Europe. Most people here are from the US so that's what they'd know best. You might try posting this on the European forum as well?
+10. You need to ask these questions from anaesthetists and psychiatrists from the country you want to practice in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Also if you do have drug use disorder, maybe anesthesia isn't the best place for you to be either?

Reactions: 1 user