Really hoping to become a paramedic or EMT or etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeyYouWantAToothpick

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I hope I am posting this in the right forum and following the rules.

Basically, it's been a life dream of mine to become an EMT and then FF. The information I am looking for is what I should be doing to build towards this goal? All the information online is very confusing and I'm not sure. I have a Bachelor's degree.
BUT....
Here is the thing...I have 2 DUIs and another criminal charge for stealing. None of them are felonies. Basically I'm asking, should I give up the dream of becoming an EMT and firefighter? If not, how should i proceed?

EDIT: I now live in New Jersey. The most recent DUI was three years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt you would get hired. They raised an eyebrow at me for having a speeding ticket...
I believe you would be too high risk for them to have you insured to drive. Just my opinion, though.

New Jersey is a competitive state for firefighter jobs. Your DUI's are still relatively new, so you will certainly be looked over for a more squared away applicant. You will not be hired anytime soon with your record. However, in 5-7 years you will have a shot. My fire department has hired people with past DUI's; keep in mind they were older applicants, and the DUI was when they were 'young and dumb.'

Getting hired by a career fire department will be difficult but it's not impossible. You have to keep in mind that these are incredibily competitive positions with sometimes 800-1000 applicants for each position. No I am not exaggerating.

I know someone who was hired by a great department with a DUI. You having two and another criminal charge might put you at more of a disadvantage. I don't know how attached to NJ you are, but if you were willing to transplant to Baltimore I think you would have a shot at the EMS side of Baltimore City Fire Dept. They recently hired a guy that had multiple inpatient psych admissions from attempted suicide, and his arms have severe scarring that are quite visible. The firefighting side of Baltimore City is just as competitive as anywhere else, but the competition for the EMS side is weak because they need bodies. If you get your paramedic certification it will increase your desirability a hundred fold. Every fire department needs paramedics. You might be able to find one that values your skillset as a paramedic more than they are adverse to your criminal record.

You also have the option of working for a private ambulance company. They are far easier to get in than the fire department. They typically pay less, have higher turn over, and are often treated like a corporate employee versus the fire department where you are protected by a union. You will have to research your area to see if the pay is worthwhile to you, and see what services these companies provide. In Maryland the private ambulances do not respond to 911, only the fire department does. But in New York private ambulances do respond to 911. I cannot stress enough how much variation there is in EMS once you cross state lines, you need to do your own research.

If I were you I would consider nursing. I think it will be easier to get hired by a hospital than the fire department since FDs are a civil service. If you do ICU or ER nursing you'll still have plenty of adrenaline rushes, and you can always volunteer as a firefighter or EMT. Good luck to you.