Realistic Step 1 for Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stcl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, posting anonymously here. I was wondering how realistic people should be with a score in the 240s for derm. If you know of people that have matched with a score in that range, what did they have that made it a successful match?

Does a 240s-range score effectively require getting AOA + multiple publications to match in Dermatology? I have quite a few posters/presentations + 1 pub in another field. No derm research yet. Would it be feasible to start now (beginning MS-3) doing derm research, or is it just an uphill battle?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, posting anonymously here. I was wondering how realistic people should be with a score in the low 240s for derm. If you know of people that have matched with a score in that range, what did they have that made it a successful match?

I just got my step 1 score back with a 240, which was lower than I'd expected. Does a 240 effectively require getting AOA + multiple publications to match in Dermatology? I have quite a few posters/presentations + 1 pub in another field. No derm research yet. Would it be feasible to start now (beginning MS-3) doing derm research, or is it just an uphill battle?

Thanks in advance

It's a combination of your total application profile

A Step 1 score of 240 should get you past most filters. However, the average Step 1 score of a matched applicant is now in the 250s. So while it does not require everything you've mentioned, you would ideally be AOA, have multiple publications, have great LORs, etc etc to make up for a below average (for derm) Step 1 score

If you are interested in derm, then yes, I would start getting involved with your home department and doing research as soon as you can. You can utilize the less demanding rotations during MS3 to really grind out some research.

A Step 1 score of 240 should get you past most filters. However, the average Step 1 score of a matched applicant is now in the 250s.

I certainly trust you know what you're talking about, I'm just curious where that number comes from though. Charting Outcomes says 249 is average.

Members don't see this ad :)
I certainly trust you know what you're talking about, I'm just curious where that number comes from though. Charting Outcomes says 249 is average.

I remember hearing it was 250+ at the last AAD meeting. Perhaps the score has gone down since I last attended. Nonetheless, as absurd as it sounds, a Step 1 score of 240 like what the OP has is now considered below average when talking about matched applicants in dermatology. It's not a deal breaker but it means the rest of your application will have to stand out (AOA, heavy research, great LORs, great connections, etc) to make up for that blemish.

About 4 or so years ago not (wow time flies) at my residency program, out of 40 or so people we interviewed, only 2 had sub 240 scores. So that can give you a bit of insight.

To be honest though, I don't think it should hinder you too much. If the rest of your application is up to par, I don't think it's cause to give up on dermatology outright.

About 4 or so years ago not (wow time flies) at my residency program, out of 40 or so people we interviewed, only 2 had sub 240 scores. So that can give you a bit of insight.

To be honest though, I don't think it should hinder you too much. If the rest of your application is up to par, I don't think it's cause to give up on dermatology outright.

In my time (about 10 years ago) it seemed most programs used 240 as a screen, after that it didnt matter too much. However there's definitely been score inflation since then, so 240 then is definitely equivalent to about 250 now. 240 now would be about 230 then which would not have made the cutoff (at least at my program and many others would have been filtered out).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Look at us as a specialty...what a bunch of nutzoids we are as a group to look so closely at a multiple choice exam that has no bearing on anything frankly (not even the boards because almost everyone passes). I know people that scored below 220 and got into residency, ended up becoming great clinicians, were chief residents, and passed the boards fine. I have no idea why people use these high cutoffs except that they are too lazy to actually read the applications (yeah i know all the excuses like there are too many to read and such...but they are all pretty bad excuses in my opinion). Just make the cutoffs (which are lame) clear so that applicants don't waste their money. If I sound annoyed, I totally am with this part of the process. Programs need to be more transparent with their cutoffs...the reason they aren't is that if they were, then they would have a hard time justifying exceptions for favorite candidates and those with connections....lol. Despite all that, you have to work within the system to maximize your chances.

A 240 does not preclude you from anything. Don't let anyone discourage you if you are truly dedicated for derm. I've seen people match with less than 210 in the past and seen people fail to match with greater than 250. There are too many variables to pin everything on the step 1. Keep your head up and focus on doing well on third year and make some connections with your derm program. Social common sense goes a long way and people underestimate the power of social smarts in derm. If you feel you need to bolster your research, think about taking a year off between 3rd and 4th year to build on your research and work with the right mentor that can do a lot for you in terms of publishing.

Never underestimate the power of social smarts and connections (which usually come more easily for those with social smarts)

Reactions: 1 users
Programs need to be more transparent with their cutoffs...the reason they aren't is that if they were, then they would have a hard time justifying exceptions for favorite candidates and those with connections....lol. Despite all that, you have to work within the system to maximize your chances.

That's not even that difficult to pull off and still be transparent. It's all in the wording:

Cutoff: 240

Cutoff: Generally 240

Those can mean two different things. The second way keeps the door open for those below 240 but with special circumstances (connections, cured cancer, saved 5000 babies in the desert). The special circumstances are for the candidate to decide since they are the applicant.

So, I think the real question becomes, how many babies do I need to rescue in the desert to match derm? More importantly, what should I be rescuing them from? What manner of baby-crisis should I aim to avert in order to have the greatest impact? Is it ok if it's only 3-4 babies, but they are afflicted with something particularly nasty, and I deliver them safely from the scourge? Or should I really shoot for the 100-200 baby range with minor ailments? Also, does it need to be the desert? Can I save them from, say, a park in Santa Monica or an incorrigible Canadian border control agent? There's a lot of different baby distress situations and I think it'd be best to capture a broad range of these for my app, but I'm unsure. All thoughts appreciated!!

So, I think the real question becomes, how many babies do I need to rescue in the desert to match derm? More importantly, what should I be rescuing them from? What manner of baby-crisis should I aim to avert in order to have the greatest impact? Is it ok if it's only 3-4 babies, but they are afflicted with something particularly nasty, and I deliver them safely from the scourge? Or should I really shoot for the 100-200 baby range with minor ailments? Also, does it need to be the desert? Can I save them from, say, a park in Santa Monica or an incorrigible Canadian border control agent? There's a lot of different baby distress situations and I think it'd be best to capture a broad range of these for my app, but I'm unsure. All thoughts appreciated!!

You are on the right track in thinking that you need to head to the desert in search of babies in need. As a matter of fact, the highest yield course of action would be to bring with you a tub of sunscreen (SPF 30+, of course), and slather it on any unsuspecting baby that you can find. The more babies that you can perform this on, the better (most programs have a minimum cutoff screen of 240 to 250).

So, just to be clear, if I want to match Derm, I need to rub down a whole boatload of babies?

5000, as I said.

If you want to match plastics, it has to be 5003 plus a combination of 10 puppies and kittens.

It can be outside of the desert, but if that's the case, I think you need to aim for the 6k range plus a case report.

I greatly prefer PandaBearMD's infamous medical school personal statement.