Real Time Virtual Tumor Board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mandelin Rain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with a platform to present patient information/images to multiple specialties where they can weigh in on a patient's care without directly meeting? I imagine it looking somewhat like a message board, in so much that docs can post opinions/orders when convenient to their schedule. We're dealing with some geographic and access considerations that could be smoothed by not wasting referrals if inappropriate.

I am unaware of such a platform, or if it's possible to make this happen via EPIC.

Anyone have suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

GoToMeeting?

I used that for oral boards prep with a few other people, all meetings were online, it allows for presentation of your computer screen to others with annotations etc

Look into Varian's Oncology 360 (360 Oncology | Varian Medical Systems) product.

It has the ability to pull structured data from multiple EMRs and put them on one encrypted platform meant to be used by Tumor Boards. It is also technically VR capable. At ASTRO you can get a demo of this, it's pretty nifty.

Members don't see this ad :)
GoToMeeting?

I used that for oral boards prep with a few other people, all meetings were online, it allows for presentation of your computer screen to others with annotations etc
We have a secure Skype platform for this. The tough part is getting everyone together at the same time on a weekly basis. I am looking for a rolling platform that people can check and contribute to at their convenience, and is updated as more information is generated.

Reactions: 1 user
Look into Varian's Oncology 360 (360 Oncology | Varian Medical Systems) product.

It has the ability to pull structured data from multiple EMRs and put them on one encrypted platform meant to be used by Tumor Boards. It is also technically VR capable. At ASTRO you can get a demo of this, it's pretty nifty.

This looks interesting, but knowing Varian, it likely costs a bundle. I'll look into it though. Thanks.

We have a secure Skype platform for this. The tough part is getting everyone together at the same time on a weekly basis. I am looking for a rolling platform that people can check and contribute to at their convenience, and is updated as more information is generated.
Ah, got it. An option that might work for you would be Microsoft sharepoint. It's basically a secured, password protected document management/sharing platform where people can log in and post clinical questions and upload documents/articles to discuss things. We're currently using it as an sdn/mednet type place to discuss cases, among practices in our group. The important thing is that it does allow for document upload and is secure, ours is behind the practice firewall.

I imagine it would be a lot cheaper than the Varian solution

Last edited:
Ah, got it. An option that might work for you would be Microsoft sharepoint. It's basically a secured, password protected document management/sharing platform where people can log in and post clinical questions and upload documents/articles to discuss things. We're currently using it as an sdn/mednet type place to discuss cases, among practices in our group. The important thing is that it does allow for document upload and is secure, ours is behind the practice firewall.

I imagine it would be a lot cheaper than the Varian solution

I think that this is likely where we will go. I just don't think there is the capability for interface with an EMR which means you have to log into another program to review scans, etc... Not a big deal, but trying to make it as user friendly as possible for the busier docs. Thanks all.

I run a city-wide head and neck tumor board, only virtual, and we use WebEx for it. While you do have to all log in at the same time, I've found it to be very good software, almost completely bug-free. I don't go with the video part of the chat, and I think other MDs appreciate that. You can throw control over to your radiologists or pathologists to show what's on their screen, which can be good especially with path slides.

I've been running it for more than 3 years now and have been very happy with the software package.

Has anyone had experience with a platform to present patient information/images to multiple specialties where they can weigh in on a patient's care without directly meeting? I imagine it looking somewhat like a message board, in so much that docs can post opinions/orders when convenient to their schedule. We're dealing with some geographic and access considerations that could be smoothed by not wasting referrals if inappropriate.

I am unaware of such a platform, or if it's possible to make this happen via EPIC.

Anyone have suggestions?

That is a major problem, and we solved it at our hospital in Atlanta by implementing OncoLens. It is exactly as you described it and it is cheaper than Varian and much more user friendly than Sharepoint.

I run a city-wide head and neck tumor board, only virtual, and we use WebEx for it. While you do have to all log in at the same time, I've found it to be very good software, almost completely bug-free. I don't go with the video part of the chat, and I think other MDs appreciate that. You can throw control over to your radiologists or pathologists to show what's on their screen, which can be good especially with path slides.

I've been running it for more than 3 years now and have been very happy with the software package.

Have you tried Oncolens. I just replied to mandelin. We are using it in our hospital in Atlanta.