Real job insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HOIV

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for jobs and am curious as to what you guys think is fair from an RVU reimbursement standpoint for production post an initial salaried phase of a contract. He numbers are all over the board and obviously there are regional differences but if be very curious as to your approach to considering offers based on production after two years. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I found this to be the most common type of contracts outside of academics. 1-2 years of guaranteed salary then it's based on productivity by wRVUs. Some will keep a base salary and some won't. It doesn't really matter. I think one year of guaranteed salary is enough for you to get busy if you're in the right practice. I'm not sure when you say "numbers" if you're asking about compensation or average wRVUs generated or conversion factors. Yes, the numbers are all over the place depending on location (east, west, midwest, south, big city, middle of nowhere...etc), type of practice, business model...etc. I recall seeing , per MGMA, the median annual (or mean?? I don't remember) wRVUs generated by hem/onc docs was 4800 or so.

I think the most important thing for productivity based models is to try to get a feel of how busy you will be in a year or so. It's not always an easy thing to figure out (if the practice is expanding in a new location and they're planning to place you there, will you get enough referrals?).

I'm relatively new to this process myself... other folks might be more helpful