Reading PSG by non sleep boarded physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rikab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious to know if any one who is not sleep boarded can read PSG and get re imbursed.I thought that this was not possible but did come across some pulmonary physicians who are still doing this and have had no issues getting re imbursed.How does this work?

Members don't see this ad.

I am curious to know if any one who is not sleep boarded can read PSG and get re imbursed.I thought that this was not possible but did come across some pulmonary physicians who are still doing this and have had no issues getting re imbursed.How does this work?

Non-sleep pulmonologists can typically be reimbursed for reading sleep studies; the issue is sleep lab accreditation. There are several possible scenarios:

1. The sleep lab is non-accredited or accredited by an agency that does not require the interpreting docs to be sleep-certified.

or

2. The sleep lab is accredited by the AASM (American Academy of sleep medicine) but is just ignoring the rules.

or

3. The sleep lab is accredited by the AASM and the non-sleep certified docs are having their sleep studies "overread" by a certified doc.

I know we have at least one doctor in our area who owns his own sleep lab and reads the studies and is not boarded in sleep. He's a neurologist though, not pulmonary. His lab is also not accredited. I think it only becomes an issue with some insurance companies. I know there are a couple INS (in our area at least) that will only reimburse if the sleep study is done at an accredited lab. So I guess, depending on the INS company that your patients have, will depend on payment if your not boarded in sleep.