Reading Comprehension

catsomgcats

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need more sources to practice my reading comprehension. I have already tried Kaplan, OAT Achiever, and ADA sample test. But it wasn't enough because I only got a 300 on my RC the first time I took the exam and so it kept my AA down.

Does anybody have any more good resources to practice with it? I have just always hated english class and reading comprehension things lol

Members don't see this ad.

I need more sources to practice my reading comprehension. I have already tried Kaplan, OAT Achiever, and ADA sample test. But it wasn't enough because I only got a 300 on my RC the first time I took the exam and so it kept my AA down.

Does anybody have any more good resources to practice with it? I have just always hated english class and reading comprehension things lol
Did you find the kaplan RC similar to the real oat RC?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your method on completing the reading section? I usually don't read the passages and I read the question and search the passage. As I am constantly "skimming," I happen to remember what each paragraph consists of and I can easily find the answers for future questions. I'm not sure if that is the best method but I've completed all questions on almost every exam by skimming. I heard to never use knowledge outside the passage to answer your questions because that's what the exam is testing you on, your ability to focus on the information in the given passage, not what you already know because they could change it purposely to something else. I'm not sure if this advice would help you xD But this was just my method and I kept improving on my scores.

Humdeeds, I tried that method and got 300 hahaha. :( I also tried the reading the passage first while making notes on each paragraph but that was taking way too long.

What would you guys advice than? Reading the questions and searching for the answers?!

Read the whole passage at a regular pace and keep mental notes of what kind of information is found in each paragraph. This way you can hunt down answers quickly in the text. I wouldn't skim unless you're a very strong reader and can retain information by reading fast.

I heard to never use knowledge outside the passage to answer your questions because that's what the exam is testing you on, your ability to focus on the information in the given passage, not what you already know because they could change it purposely to something else.

While it's true that the exam tests on the passage itself, you can sometimes answer one or two questions from your own knowledge. This is one of the perks of the OAT reading section, all passages are scientific and present factual information. The OAT will never give you a passage that presents factual information incorrectly to purposely fool you on an answer choice.

While it's true that the exam tests on the passage itself, you can sometimes answer one or two questions from your own knowledge. This is one of the perks of the OAT reading section, all passages are scientific and present factual information. The OAT will never give you a passage that presents factual information incorrectly to purposely fool you on an answer choice.

My friend took the Kaplan course and she was instructed to still refrain from outside knowledge. Yes, they wouldn't give false information, it'll still be factual but the details are what the OAT will test you on and slight use of outside knowledge can still have a chance of leading you to the wrong answer unless the answer is so obvious for a really simple question :laugh: The teacher of the course had taken the OAT and she said she scored lower using her knowledge from school than staying focused to the passage. But definitely use your outside knowledge if you are running out of time or can't find the answer and go back to it later when you can.

I think the note taking will help but try writing a word or two about what the paragraph is about. I would say keep practicing reading passage sections while being timed (Kaplan provides a lot of practice tests just for reading). I used to not be that good on reading either (especially quick-reading). I originally took the MCAT and their reading sections definitely prepped me for the OAT reading section. Although I do not recommend practicing with MCAT passages unless you have a ton of time before your OAT test. The MCAT passages are definitely different than the OAT but it helped me on my reading and timing!

Good luck! :highfive:

Does anyone know if the Reading comprehension Passages restart from question to question like the Kaplan Practice tests? And is the scroll box of the passage just as small? Or does the whole passage stick while you go from question to question? This makes such a big difference for me.