Re-applying through Match for IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoatedAcrobat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

I graduated from medical school in 2014 and started OB/GYN residency training at that time up until June 2016. I had family issues that I had to take care of which messed with my ability to pass USMLE Step 3 within the three allowed attempts for Texas licensure and for contract renewal in the OB/GYN residency program. Now, when I took Step 3 once my family issues were taken care of I re-took Step 3 and improved my score by +30 points. I'm re-applying to OB/GYN residency programs with vacancies, but I'm starting to think this specialty might not be for me after all. Other than the Step 3 issue, I completed 2 years in good standing. Have great LORs. I'm giving myself until September to apply/interview for OB/GYN residency positions, but if nothing happens I'm leaning toward re-applying to internal medicine through the match (I was very interested in infectious disease during my IM rotation in medical school and still am). Do y'all think it's possible I can match into an IM residency position after all this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi y'all,

I graduated from medical school in 2014 and started OB/GYN residency training at that time up until June 2016. I had family issues that I had to take care of which messed with my ability to pass USMLE Step 3 within the three allowed attempts for Texas licensure and for contract renewal in the OB/GYN residency program. Now, when I took Step 3 once my family issues were taken care of I re-took Step 3 and improved my score by +30 points. I'm re-applying to OB/GYN residency programs with vacancies, but I'm starting to think this specialty might not be for me after all. Other than the Step 3 issue, I completed 2 years in good standing. Have great LORs. I'm giving myself until September to apply/interview for OB/GYN residency positions, but if nothing happens I'm leaning toward re-applying to internal medicine through the match (I was very interested in infectious disease during my IM rotation in medical school and still am). Do y'all think it's possible I can match into an IM residency position after all this?

So you failed Step 3 three times? I think your chances are quite poor, in no small part because many states won't grant a medical license to someone who failed a USMLE exam 3 times.

So you failed Step 3 three times? I think your chances are quite poor, in no small part because many states won't grant a medical license to someone who failed a USMLE exam 3 times.

Texas is one of a few states that has a 3 attempts limit. Many others don't. I've checked the state medical boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas is one of a few states that has a 3 attempts limit. Many others don't. I've checked the state medical boards.

Federation of State Medical Boards

Per that link, I count about 26 states where you're ineligible to get licensed. Regardless, I can't imagine any but the most desperate of PDs wanting somebody who got failed a Step exam 3 times. Also, since you've already done 2 years of residency you won't fully funded by Medicare either? If I were you I'd apply to every single IM and FM program that will accept someone with 3 Step failures in states that will license the same, but even then I wouldn't expect much.

I get your point. I had a damn good OB/GYN program offer me an interview despite the failure so I think there's hope. They saw my improvement and took into consideration what was going on in my life at the time.

I think the only way that you can match into any program is if you apply. The only way to be that person who matches into OBGYN or IM with 3 Step 3 failures is to apply and interview.

SDN can be a toxic place; behind their user handles everyone wants to act like they're perfect applicants, Harvard, AOA, 260s, JHH residencies. The reality is that most of us are not perfect.

Take a look at community programs too. They may not be as prestigious but they're probably more willing to give you a chance over the "top" programs in the country.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I think the only way that you can match into any program is if you apply. The only way to be that person who matches into OBGYN or IM with 3 Step 3 failures is to apply and interview.

SDN can be a toxic place; behind their user handles everyone wants to act like they're perfect applicants, Harvard, AOA, 260s, JHH residencies. The reality is that most of us are not perfect.

Take a look at community programs too. They may not be as prestigious but they're probably more willing to give you a chance over the "top" programs in the country.

Good luck!

Thank you ColdTurkiye!

You won't know until you try.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep your head up. SDN advice is worth what you pay for it. If your old PD is willing to make calls to PDs on your behalf, that would be helpful.

I'm very new to SDN and am doing so for my daughter who was just given the news that they wouldn't be renewing her contract in Anesthesiology. I'm trying to help her in any way that I can. She'd like to stay where she's at, but apparently there are no spots for IM at her hospital. What are the community programs you are referring to?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

I'm very new to SDN and am doing so for my daughter who was just given the news that they wouldn't be renewing her contract in Anesthesiology. I'm trying to help her in any way that I can. She'd like to stay where she's at, but apparently there are no spots for IM at her hospital. What are the community programs you are referring to?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

***Though I joined in 2007 (when my daughter was applying and didn't get in on the first try), I haven't been on since my original tries.