Re-applicant: When to retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katetg92

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT in 2016 and got a not so great score, but good enough for me to get an interview at 1 school and then get waitlisted. I believe it might have hurt my application at other schools as well. Because I already have a MCAT score on file, would it be harmful to my primary application to retake the MCAT in August/September? My dilemma is that I need more time to study to bring my score up (I just finished a Master's degree and wrote a thesis, so I have had no time to prep for MCAT) but by that time I will have submitted my primary and probably already most secondaries. Any insight on this is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You could study up during May and June, test early July, get score back early August and submit your primary at that time. You'll still be verified/transmitted by mid or late August, which is decent/normal timing, and this way you can be certain your new score is seen before your app is judged.

applicants like this who seem to have a sense of rush and urgency often do not do well
2 months of full time studying is suuuper generous for MCAT prep, especially for someone that as already done it once before and is reviewing everything. Totally makes sense not to ever rush your MCAT, but that shouldn't make anybody with a reasonable studying work ethic feel rushed

Members don't see this ad :)
2 months of full time studying is suuuper generous for MCAT prep, especially for someone that as already done it once before and is reviewing everything. Totally makes sense not to ever rush your MCAT, but that shouldn't make anybody with a reasonable studying work ethic feel rushed
Just make sure you've assessed yourself in some way with a practice MCAT or some practice material. Are you really scoring as well as you want on the practice material or do you need to put in more work to get ready for the MCAT. Multiple re-takes are not seen favorably by medical schools. Good luck in your journey!!

As a future re-applicant, I got very scared about an un-determined MCAT score, and wish to have a solid competitive MCAT score before planning further actions.

Just make sure you've assessed yourself in some way with a practice MCAT or some practice material. Are you really scoring as well as you want on the practice material or do you need to put in more work to get ready for the MCAT. Multiple re-takes are not seen favorably by medical schools. Good luck in your journey!!
I'm pretty sure @efle has already been successful by all known parameters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users